Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 04:21 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times

Advertisements

I vote for blaming Gil Hodges, who managed the Mets in 1969 when they went and won 100 games. They spoiled us, and got us to thinking that winning was good--that it was what we really wanted. Prior to that year, no Met team had won as many as 72 games in a season. And we loved them. They outdrew the Yankees every year. Who cared what their record was, or where they were in the standings? The Mets were fun. What's happening now...this isn't fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 11:19 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times

Please make it stop. This is getting embarrassing.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:21 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
hey Mets aren't doing as bad as their NEW FARM TEAM. The Buffalo Bisons have just set a new team record of worse starts. 2 Wins 15 losses
The problem with looking at a AAA team's record is that a lot of times their better players are called up and then sent back and then called up and then sent back. Most of the time you don't have your consistent lineup and that can be bad for a team that has its good leadoff hitter, or big bat or big pitcher called up to the majors.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:21 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post

Please make it stop. This is getting embarrassing.
I agree but on a positive note were only 3 games outta first.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:05 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,929,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
That's not a positive note. It's an excuse that the Mets as an organization put out there because it gives them permission to do nothing. Take it from someone who makes a living off of baseball; the Mets haven't done anything right. You're finding a positive out of another team doing something wrong. That team won the World Series last year and has won two straight division titles. The Mets are a team that loves catchphrases, but the new one ("We're Only Three Games Out") won't work for long.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:59 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
That says as much for the Phillies not being as good as advertised as it does about the Mets believing they don't have to do anything.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:03 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,204 times
Mets overhaul - could be lots done during the All-Star break.

I'd release Livan Hernandez and Gary Sheffield. If Tim Redding's contract is only one year, I'd release him too. That would make room for the Beltran and Delgado to return. I don't think we'll see Reyes for a while. He is one of the worst rehabbers I've ever seen. I'd also bring up Jonathan Neise and just let him have the five-spot in the rotation for the rest of the year. He's done well at Buffalo and I would like to see him pitch without the pressure of losing his spot for a few months. I think he's got something. I saw him pitch a game in Binghamton and was impressed.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:33 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,929,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Mets overhaul - could be lots done during the All-Star break.

I'd release Livan Hernandez and Gary Sheffield. If Tim Redding's contract is only one year, I'd release him too. That would make room for the Beltran and Delgado to return. I don't think we'll see Reyes for a while. He is one of the worst rehabbers I've ever seen. I'd also bring up Jonathan Neise and just let him have the five-spot in the rotation for the rest of the year. He's done well at Buffalo and I would like to see him pitch without the pressure of losing his spot for a few months. I think he's got something. I saw him pitch a game in Binghamton and was impressed.
Niese is just a guy who isn't ready, similar to Pelfrey when they rushed him up to the majors a few years ago. They need to learn how to be more patient with these young pitchers. These guys have a whole career ahead of them, and there's no sense in screwing with their development by bringing them up well before their time.

There's somewhat of a chance that Beltran is out for the year. There's actually a pretty good chance Reyes is done for the year. Delgado may or may not make it back, but so far he isn't doing anything in rehab that involves bending or turning his hip, so there's no way of knowing what they will get out of him.

I do believe that Niese is going to be good. He's also sturdy enough mentally that if they insist on rushing him back up to the majors he will be able to handle the pressures even if he doesn't pitch well. But they should only call him up if they plan on keeping him up for the year.

You're seeing pretty much what you should have expected to see from Livan and Redding. Livan gives you a good first half and then breaks down, and we're seeing that now. It won't be long before they also tell you that he's hurt. Redding is bad. There's nothing more to say about him than that.

Knowing how the Mets do business, their plan for Sheffield is probably that since they got him for the league minimum, they might as well run him into the ground until he can't walk anymore and then cast him aside. As difficult as he may have been for a good part of his career, he's given them a lot this year, and if that's the plan with him, he deserves better.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:56 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Can some one please explain why Murphy was benched yesterday?

This is the incompetence of the Met org at work.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:06 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Can some one please explain why Murphy was benched yesterday?

This is the incompetence of the Met org at work.
Alledgedly it was because the Dodger pictcher was too tough. I say BS. Let the kid play. Let him use this year to make his mistakes and learn the position. Who else is available for first base next year? Delgado for another year? I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
Knowing how the Mets do business, their plan for Sheffield is probably that since they got him for the league minimum, they might as well run him into the ground until he can't walk anymore and then cast him aside. As difficult as he may have been for a good part of his career, he's given them a lot this year, and if that's the plan with him, he deserves better.
What a sad commentary - and I think you are absolutely right! I just don't think he has what we need, particularly in that big ballpark. We need solid fielders. I'd let him go so that he could possibly catch on with another team where he might be a better fit. At this point in his career, he's a DH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball