Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 05:55 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times

Advertisements

We are talking about the Muts, and this team is pathetic and has the look of the Nats first Cousin. This team is under .500 and going nowhere but down and while all this is happening the Manager gets paid to stand in the dugout and look crazy.

I never seen a team GIVE UP after falling down 2-0 in the 2nd inning. I wouldn't be surprised if the Nats caught up with them before September
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 08:13 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Done...NEXT!!!!

Old 07-05-2009, 10:54 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
I'm obviously not a Mets fan but no one wants to win that division.Even with all the Mets injuries and losing they are only 4 games back and Philly is at about a .530 win percentage so it's far from over. If this was the AL East or NL West then you might be right but it's not.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:42 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times
I don't think the Mets are done yet - they are just going through a very rough patch right now. There's also no way the Mets end up with a record anywhere near as bad as the Nationals. Neither of those things mean there isn't a really foul smell up in Queens near LaGuardia Airport right now.

"(The Mets) have the look of the Nats' first cousin." That's a good one.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:35 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
I don't think the Mets are done, either. Partly because they haven't been able to play their regular roster, and partly because, let's face it, if the Phillies haven't racked up a 15-game lead by this time, then the division is going to remain open. Whoever gets hot in September is going to win the NL East--that's what it will come down to.

Come on, TVandSportsGuy, fess up: you didn't start this thread because you wanted serious analysis of the teams involved. You started it because you thought you saw an opportunity to trash the Mets. Keep one thing in mind: if you turn out to be wrong, you're going to hear about it later in the year.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I don't think the Mets are done, either. Partly because they haven't been able to play their regular roster, and partly because, let's face it, if the Phillies haven't racked up a 15-game lead by this time, then the division is going to remain open. Whoever gets hot in September is going to win the NL East--that's what it will come down to.

Come on, TVandSportsGuy, fess up: you didn't start this thread because you wanted serious analysis of the teams involved. You started it because you thought you saw an opportunity to trash the Mets. Keep one thing in mind: if you turn out to be wrong, you're going to hear about it later in the year.

They just remind me so much of the Cowboys, contantly falling apart and getting owned by the Philly team in the Divison. They have fallen off in 2006, 2007, and 2008. I expect the same in 2009 likeI do with the Dallas Cowboys

Old 07-06-2009, 07:07 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post

The Mets have failed in two straight seasons while playing their regular roster. This division will be wrapped up in the next week or so. Have you seen what the Phillies have been doing in their last four games, three of them against the Mets?

I'm going to tell you this point blank, and I'm not saying this as a fan, but as someone who actually has to follow this stuff sometimes more than I would like... As long as the names Wilpon and Minaya are associated with the Mets, they are never going to fulfill their potential.

The best thing this organization can do right now is stand pat, play out the season, and make big changes over the winter.

That's what they should do, but it's not what they will do. And it's the fans who suffer for it.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:04 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,669 times
This is the worst I've seen the Mets play since at least the end of 2007. This team has little to no fight in them, have a Triple A line-up, and the D' hitting, and pitching, is horrible on a good day.

However.

It is way too early to bury the Mets. We haven't hit the All-Star break yet, and the Mets only trail the Phills by 4.5 games, still plenty of time for the Mets to get healthy, and start winning games.

Beltran and Reyes will be the key.

Though, the Mets need to patch up that hole in the starting rotation.

Santana is starting to look like himself after a bad month.

Though, Redding, Hernandez, Pelfrey, and Nieves, ain't going to scare anyone.

Perez is back on the hill tomorrow.

If he have three quality starts, I think Met fans will forgive him from that disastrous start.

As bad as the Mets are playing, they're only a few games under .500, one will think they will be at least a dozen.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
This is the worst I've seen the Mets play since at least the end of 2007. This team has little to no fight in them, have a Triple A line-up, and the D' hitting, and pitching, is horrible on a good day.

However.

It is way too early to bury the Mets. We haven't hit the All-Star break yet, and the Mets only trail the Phills by 4.5 games, still plenty of time for the Mets to get healthy, and start winning games.

If he have three quality starts, I think Met fans will forgive him from that disastrous start.

As bad as the Mets are playing, they're only a few games under .500, one will think they will be at least a dozen.

please don't talk about the mets and phillies in the same sentence, it makes me want to go to the toilet

Old 07-07-2009, 10:23 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post

However.

Beltran and Reyes are not close to coming back and there's a pretty good chance they won't be back this year. Perez was walking the ballpark in his "rehab" starts and there's no reason to believe he will be a positive factor.

You are right that they are only a few games under .500 though. They're four games under and in fourth place. That's the worst they've been after a first half (they are technically in their second half now after 82 games) in their current build.

Even if they get some of their guys back, it won't be before late August at the earliest. Then you're going to be watching the same group that has failed to deliver in September two years in a row. Why would they suddenly get the job done? Some of these guys are much more seriously injured than you have been told. Again, at least a few of them might not be coming back this year.

Why torture yourself?

Not only isn't this their year, but this is a good opportunity for the organization to make some much-needed changes for 2010, or at the very least try and figure out what it is that this team is going to be. Outside of exactly one playoff appearance and zero World Series appearances in it's current build, this team has done absolutely nothing while the payroll continues to grow. This is not a well-run organization, and no matter how many times you try to patch it up, it still won't get them to where they think they deserve to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball