Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:35 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times

Advertisements

I'd have to say the Marlins....unless empty seats count as good fans. 2 world championships in their short history and they almost always manage to put a competitive team on the field, and there's bigger crowds at Little League games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 08:57 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I'd have to say the Marlins....unless empty seats count as good fans.
Do the Marlins have fans? I thought the people in the stands at their home games were there to see the visiting team. What a joke to build a new stadium at taxpayer expense at more than half a billion dollars. Whoever thought a major league team in Miami made sense was smoking some good Colombian. Miami could be the worst baseball team in the US. Only Montreal is worse, but of course it's not in the US.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I'd have to say the Marlins....unless empty seats count as good fans. 2 world championships in their short history and they almost always manage to put a competitive team on the field, and there's bigger crowds at Little League games.
In all fairness, I do wonder how much of this is attributable to a) their goofy stadium, and 2) how exhausting it can be to sit around in humid 95º heat for 3 to 4 hours?

Old 09-15-2009, 09:24 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Florida takes the cake! there is no reason to only draw peanuts when your team has won TWO World Series and consistently out preformed their payroll. I like the Marlins they are one of the teams I enjoy rooting for, but don't give me this excuse that "well it's not a baseball stadium" or "the stadium is too far of a drive" and " there is too many transplants here". With baseball being so popular in the Latin Countries and South Florida being the Mecca of Latin immigrants they should draw at least 20-25 from that demo group alone but NOPE!. I'd imagine since no one goes that tickets can't be that expensive, right? You always have nice weather, I have heard one complaint about the weather and watching baseball there is that it's too sunny and hot and no shade! What a bunch of crap wear a hat!

Here is another thing I don't understand, is that in the south they love their college baseball and Florida is also host to spring training therefore exposing more baseball to the avg Floridian. Another excuse I have heard is that there is just to much to do in Miami and everyone is preoccupied with partying.

What ever the case, Florida fan's need to get off there backsides and show some support.

BTW:

Brewers fans= great fans
Cubs Fans= tourists

Old 09-15-2009, 09:55 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
miami has had 1/4 of it's home games affected by rain this year

a roofed, baseball only stadium in a better location will go a long way

they draw good TV ratings, but the games there just really aren't a pleasant experience

2012 can't get here fast enough

Old 09-15-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
You always have nice weather, I have heard one complaint about the weather and watching baseball there is that it's too sunny and hot and no shade! What a bunch of crap wear a hat!
that's spoken about someone who has never spent much time in south florida during the summer

i don't think many would call it "nice weather"

do you think attendance in houston or phoenix would change a bit if you exposed everyone to the summer elements

also, why did the brewers build a retractable roof stadium - after all it's summer in the upper midwest - it's nice there - if it's cool in the spring just wear a jacket, if it's cool in the fall it doesn't matter because the brewers don't play meaningful baseball at that time of year anyway

the average temps run close to 90 all through baseball season and over the course of the season on average they will get 41.29" of rain

as a comparison milwaukee comes in at 21.31" of rain over the season - so about 1/2 the amount

so yeah, on a a random tuesday night it's a tough sell to drive an hour after a day of work, settle into a football stadium with crap sightlines and environment, sit in the heat for an hour, then get rained on and maybe have a rain delay, then spend the rest of the night damp because of the humidity

that will pull really only the diehard fans

it was like the cardinals out here - they had their core 20k that would show up to every game, but as soon as they built a nice new stadium that kept fans off metal bleachers in 105 degree heat people started showing up in much larger #s

Old 09-15-2009, 05:52 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,861 times
I lived in S Fl from 1999-2007, and it may surprise some that the Marlins drew very well from there inception in 1993 through 1997(there 1st WS win), but rather than keep the team together and go for a repeat, they traded all of the players, that pissed off most of the fans and they stopped coming out, when I got there in 1999 the Marlins were synonymous with mud, whenever they were discussed on Sports talk radio caller after caller after caller said screw the Marlins.

the Franchise just hasn't recovered, for a 2-month stretch in 2003 they averaged 60,000 a game and of course throughout the playoffs and WS. but in 2004 attendance returned to 10,000-15,000 a game.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:42 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,134 times
The worst fans are the ones who have more than one favorite team. A good portion of baseball fans I have met root for like 2 or 3 teams. I'm a proud Oakland fan, always have been...never will I add 1 or 2 "co-favorites" just to increase my odds of rooting for a winner ever year.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:57 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Quote:
that's spoken about someone who has never spent much time in south florida during the summer
Why do people assume? and never look at profiles of members of CDF. Then you would have seen that I have lived in Florida and make my annual trip in July there.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:39 AM

and you would say the weather is great for sitting out in the sun during the summer?!

i think you would be in the minority for sure - there's a reason that people travel outside of there in the summer, much like they do here in phoenix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball