Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 06:06 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times

Advertisements

During the Twins run-up through September. I began to notice that when I was watching the games and I switched from my normal beverage of choice (beer) to my usual alcohol drink Whiskey-7's, the Twins played much better and/or Detroit would lose. The closer we got to the end of the season, the more I stuck with the Whiskey & 7's. It then dawned on me! I wasn't just drinking Whiskey-7s, I was drinking Windsor & 7s! Windsor! Of course. Windsor, Ontario- so close and yet possibly the complete antithesis of Detroit, MI. Eureka!

I think I now need some help in identifying a new beverage that would help thwart the evil-Yankees tonight and beyond. Don't think I'm looking for anything too far removed from NYC such as a California Zin. I think I'm looking for something that hit's a bit closer to home. Maybe a Manhattan but that might be too close. What do they drink in New Jersey to beat the Yankees? How about Boston? Thought maybe Sam Adams but that might be too obvious.

Appreciate all your help, together we can do this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 07:03 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
If you can find a drink that contains the word "Brooklyn" as part of its name, that will be the elixir you seek!

Old 10-09-2009, 07:07 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
I recommend either Singapore Slings or Bicardi rum with Coke. I drank these back in the sixties and seventies when the Yanks were not winning. This didn't make them play any better, but it made me not really care.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
If you can find a drink that contains the word "Brooklyn" as part of its name, that will be the elixir you seek!
That must be related to the Dodgers - Yankees rivalry right? Thank you Fred I neglected to consider that dynamic. I wonder if I could find what Walter O'Malley use to drink. I did find this, but it seems a bit complicated for baseball voodoo...

Brooklyn Zoo

Ingredients:

1 oz Rum
1 oz Vodka
1 oz Gin
1 splash Pineapple Juice
1 splash Razzmatazz
1 splash Sour Mix
1-2 oz Beer

Mixing instructions:
Fill glass with ice. Mix rum vodka, and gin. Add splash of pinepple juice, Razzmatazz, and sourmix. Drinker or assistant pours beer.

Creator/contributor's comments:
This shot is taken by two people through straws. Created by staff at Cafe' Arone bar in Wilson, NC

Old 10-09-2009, 11:07 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times
There is some beers out there with "Brooklyn" in it. Think there is a Brooklyn Ale.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/45/836/

Last edited by HighlandsGal; 10-09-2009 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: Added link

Old 10-10-2009, 06:36 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,053 times
Brooklyn Brewery makes some of the best beers I've ever had. They actually do make a beer that specifically celebrates a Yankee failure too, at least indirectly.

Brooklyn Pennant Ale is a celebration of the 1955 World Champion Brooklyn Dodgers, who beat the Yankees in 7 games.

It's also a really good beer.

Edit: I see HighlandsGal already referenced it, so I got here late with that one. I can tell you I've had MANY of these, including at the brewery itself. Even if drinking this probably won't influence games, it's still worth having.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
Brooklyn Brewery makes some of the best beers I've ever had. They actually do make a beer that specifically celebrates a Yankee failure too, at least indirectly.

Brooklyn Pennant Ale is a celebration of the 1955 World Champion Brooklyn Dodgers, who beat the Yankees in 7 games.

It's also a really good beer.

Edit: I see HighlandsGal already referenced it, so I got here late with that one. I can tell you I've had MANY of these, including at the brewery itself. Even if drinking this probably won't influence games, it's still worth having.
Thanks BTC, I did see that BP Ale and it would have probably worked. Unfortunately it seems to be limited to the East Coast though I may have a day to see if I can find it around here. How bout you Yankee haters crack a few open for me out that way come Sunday.

I did go with the Irish theme (Walter O'malley) last night and stopped off on the way home before the game and picked up some Bailey's, Guinness and a bottle of Jameson's. Didn't have much time to work on the proper sequence so I had to make it up as I went along. After starting with a bit of Bailey's over ice, I stuck with the Guinness for most of the rest of the game. Looking to ramp things up a bit and to break the quandary after the top of the 11th I went to the kitchen and poured a Jameson's & water over ice. Jeanie Mac! I don't know if I switched too soon, too late or should have stuck with the Guinness.

My back's to the wall now. I feel the pressure to get this right come Sunday. A couple-million people are depending on me.

All you Highlanders best remember this though...

"Ní breac é go mbíonn sé ar an bport"

(It isn't a trout until it's on the bank)

Old 10-10-2009, 07:15 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Thanks BTC, I did see that BP Ale and it would have probably worked. Unfortunately it seems to be limited to the East Coast though I may have a day to see if I can find it around here.
I know people who live away from the NYC area in various parts of the country who are able to find this, but not in their local beer / liquor/ convenience store. They find it in specialty stores that are basically warehouses that stock beers from all over the place and usually have nothing but beer. If you have a place like that in your area you might be able to find it. If nothing else you will find what almost everyone I know considers a very good beer, so it might be worth looking for in that respect.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:54 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
"Ní breac é go mbíonn sé ar an bport"

(It isn't a trout until it's on the bank)
Yogi O'Berra, right?

Old 10-11-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Yogi O'Berra, right?
Nil! ya great sheep-eyeing, Holpodian Phutgrab! Tis Irish.

Meaning: Beware of claiming premature success.
When to use: Positive thought is a powerful tool, but sometimes it can be a little too powerful. Drop this line to caution someone against getting too optimistic too soon. Your friend or colleague may have his goal in mind, but he might go so far as to convince himself that the ideal outcome is inevitable. That’s about the time this advice comes in handy.

(from ask men.com)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball