Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:44 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times

Advertisements

GM of the Mets, and Nats are doing nothing to improve their team in the offseason and still get to keep their 6 figure salary. How do these morons stay employed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 09:07 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Remind us again which team you root for?

Old 12-16-2009, 09:11 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,247,883 times
I also am curious to what team the OP likes, if any

Old 12-16-2009, 09:36 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,147,648 times
Didn't the Nats sign Pudge? Last I looked I haven't seen the Padres,Pirates,Reds,Rangers and many other teams do anything either.The Nationals are still trying to develop themselves as an organization.Even though they were previously the Expos,it was as if they were a new expansion team.I agree the Mets haven't done anything yet,and i'm not a fan but there is quite some time before pitchers and catchers report and there are tons of options with over 200 free agents on the market.I personally think they might go for one BIG NAME and then do a fill in with alot of the lesser guys (Sheets,Escobar).

Old 12-17-2009, 12:43 PM

There was a fascinating article in the NY Daily News last week about two opposing factions in the Mets' front office (which surprised me, because I didn't think they'd let something like this leak out into the public domain). Apparently, it boils down to this: Omar Minaya's faction wants to dive headfirst into the free agent and trade markets. The other faction--and let's face it, this is hard to swallow--thinks that everything will be A-OK when the "walking wounded" from the 2009 season come back.

Speaking as a Met fan, I can only hope that Minaya has some kind of magic up his sleeve so that his faction prevails. Otherwise...well, let's just say that I'm not looking for any instant replays.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:57 PM

784 posts, read 1,982,318 times
The Nats just signed Pudge and traded for Brian Bruney, who will be a big asset in the bullpen. They also signed six guys to minor league deals with a chance to crack the Major League squad. Also, they are working on signing one or two quality starters.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:51 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,077,406 times
I wish we could neg rep people on this site...

Old 12-17-2009, 05:25 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Apparently, it boils down to this: Omar Minaya's faction wants to dive headfirst into the free agent and trade markets. The other faction--and let's face it, this is hard to swallow--thinks that everything will be A-OK when the "walking wounded" from the 2009 season come back.
Well think about it this way. Which faction has one foot in the proverbial grave with the other foot on a banana peel?

Of course Minaya and "his guys" want to shake things up. When, not if, Minaya loses this job; do you think it's going to be easy for him to get another one in MLB? He can find something to do, but nobody is going to make him their GM. So if his faction can shake things up a little, and if it works, he's a "genius" again... If they do nothing, it's another year of "Omar's team", and anything less than a MINIMUM of a playoff appearance (which isn't all that likely) and he's done.

Truthfully the best thing the Mets could do at this point would be to stand pat for right now (they won't) and see how the returning players respond. They are very far away from the team they were three years ago that could legitimately patch a few holes. The Wilpons should seriously consider what it is they are trying to do with this team, and where Minaya fits in their plans. If they're keeping him around to knock down some of his salary before moving on (they are), then do that without letting him make any big moves to save his skin. Start rebuilding a few pieces at a time with 2011 in mind when they actually CAN be a big player in the league. Don't get locked in to any big contracts now that will have to be unloaded or lived with in the next few years. They are actually well aware of this. Why do you think they are hiring everyone under the sun who has ever been a manager or a GM before and is currently available? Unfortunately, the Mets being who they are, will still bid against themselves and bring in at least one person they believe will be able to move some tickets. That's the wrong move right now. If last year's team was as great as Omar says they were going to be, and since he's staying on, let them come back and prove it in 2010. Let that team fail, and send him on his way. Then let someone else make the bigger moves who actually has a plan.

Last edited by BringTheContent; 12-17-2009 at 05:40 PM..

Old 12-17-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
When, not if, Minaya loses this job; do you think it's going to be easy for him to get another one in MLB? He can find something to do, but nobody is going to make him their GM.
For myself, I agree with you; it won't be easy for him to get another GM job. That is to say, it shouldn't be easy. But I don't doubt that some franchise will make an offer (justifying it to their fans by saying he's the best available person for the job...which, I think, is a phrase that may have been uttered before).

Old 12-17-2009, 11:30 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,147,648 times
The problem is that fans especially want their teams to go after the best players on the market and not the lesser or good role players.There are still enough free agents out there not named Holliday, Bay, or Lackey that could help alot of teams but at a much lesser price. I personally don't care for Minaya and i'm thankful he's not my GM but not all teams divulge their plan to the public so there might be alot in the works.If the season started today then maybe Mets fans could complain but until then maybe be a little more patient and see what happens.Id' rather have 2 pitchers winning 15 games each and getting paid $10 million total then have one guy winning 18 and the next guy winning 12 and the one guy makes $17 million on his own.Alot of prioritizing as a GM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball