Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 02:09 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,896,427 times

Advertisements

Really good debate guys...

I would roll with Barkley out of the biasness that I hated Malone's game. He was a spot up 12-15ft shooter or pick and roll 5-10ft shot maker. When he was young he ran the floor, but with Stockton he just received all the goodies.

Barkley never played in a pick and roll type of offense. Although KJ and Mo were great pt guards they weren't feeding Charles most of his points. He was creating them.

Barkley was more athletic and a better shot maker. Both guys defense sucked, we shouldnt even be comparing them. Malone was just bigger and in better shape. I won't even say Malone was a better shoot because had Barkley been given wide open 12-15 footers his whole career he would have made them too.

Having said that... I do believe that Barkley always created a mismatch AGAINST his team when he was on the floor. This is one of the reasons his teams never won a title. He was a 6-6 PF... come on! That's just a mismatch. And he was out of shape. So he couldnt really guard anyone. His teams had to try to switch up or play 2 other bigs along with him. As great as he was and as much as I liked him... he was a liability.

I would have to vote Malone the better PF... Barkley just a better player.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 02:19 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post

I would roll with Barkley out of the biasness that I hated Malone's game. He was a spot up 12-15ft shooter or pick and roll 5-10ft shot maker. When he was young he ran the floor, but with Stockton he just received all the goodies.
Hey man, when Malone went to the rack though, he could throw down.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="Karl Malone - 2 Monster Dunks vs. Portland - 92-93 - YouTube" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Barkley never finished like that, one handed in 3 Blazers is just sick.

Quote:
Having said that... I do believe that Barkley always created a mismatch AGAINST his team when he was on the floor. This is one of the reasons his teams never won a title. He was a 6-6 PF... come on! That's just a mismatch. And he was out of shape. So he couldnt really guard anyone. His teams had to try to switch up or play 2 other bigs along with him. As great as he was and as much as I liked him... he was a liability.
Thats my biggest knock on Barkley, he played bigger than he was, but he was physically limited by his height and size, and there is only so much effort and talent can overcome.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:16 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Says the guy with 18,000+ posts in 4 years. Ho that's rich.

I can't keep you on ignore, TVSG. Your stupidity provides too much free entertainment. You say I take things seriously, yet you go boo-hooing to a mod over something I said to you before, which is that you're a pointless poster. Whoops, said it again. Clearly what I said affected you more than anything you've said to me, which is mostly illogical, asinine drivel. So who takes things seriously? You are a moron and, at the risk of violating forum rules, need to be called on your BS.

Go report that too, jacka$$. Your comment about needing to meet a woman treads into personal territory as well, so go ahead.....report away. Two can play that game.

You watch your language man, not in the mood. Stay on Topic

Old 08-01-2012, 04:21 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:

Barkley never played in a pick and roll type of offense. Although KJ and Mo were great pt guards they weren't feeding Charles most of his points. He was creating them.

Barkley was more athletic and a better shot maker. Both guys defense sucked, we shouldnt even be comparing them. Malone was just bigger and in better shape. I won't even say Malone was a better shoot because had Barkley been given wide open 12-15 footers his whole career he would have made them too.

I would have to vote Malone the better PF... Barkley just a better player.

I agree with you on Barkley being the better player because he did everything on the floor. Barkley was able to hit the three pointer, go coast to coast, defend, and post up. Malone on the otherhand was mainly a post player or spot up shooter who rarely went from one end of the court to the other. So Barkley was definitely a better player than Malone at the power forward position.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:31 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Hey man, when Malone went to the rack though, he could throw down.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="Karl Malone - 2 Monster Dunks vs. Portland - 92-93 - YouTube" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Barkley never finished like that, one handed in 3 Blazers is just sick.

Thats my biggest knock on Barkley, he played bigger than he was, but he was physically limited by his height and size, and there is only so much effort and talent can overcome.
You mean like this against the Bulls:
Charles Barkley huge reverse dunk vs. Chicago Bulls in january 1987 - YouTube

Old 08-01-2012, 06:52 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Default Dream Team takes this one

Much of LeBron's game is bulldozing his way inside like a Lumberjack, living on the free throw line. IMO, this doesn't make him a great player. Playing the "Dream Team", he would finally be playing a group of guys who would slap the hell out of him when he tries to bully his way inside.

Dream Team, no contest.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:57 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,073 times
Quote:

How can you knock Malone for having a good point guard? Jordan was on an elite team, and played with a hall of famer most of his life, but we never knock him. We never knock Kobe, even though hes played on one of the best teams money can buy his whole career.
Except I'm not knocking Malone. I'm simply saying that Barkley was able to create his own offense in a variety of ways. Malone was not as versatile offensively, and got a lot of points off Stockton. That's the reality of the situation.

Quote:
By the way, how can you even make the argument that Barkley did it himself? He had Maurice Cheeks (11th all time in assists) and Kevin Johnson (18th all time) passing him the ball most of his career.
I didn't say he did it all himself. To repeat myself, it's pretty obvious from anyone who saw both that Barkley was the more creative scorer, able to generate his own offense in a myriad of ways. That's irrespective of the point guards he played with.

Quote:

We never got to see that with Barkley. Barkley was an all star every year from 87-97, 7 of those 11 years, he wasnt even the only all-star from his team. Barkley went from a good Sixers team to a loaded Suns team, to a loaded Rockets team.

87- Mo Cheeks joined him
88- Mo Cheeks
91- Hershey Hawkins
93- Dan Majerle
94- Kevin Johnson
95- Dan Majerle
97- Hakeem Olajuwon

By the way, speaking of building a team around him, Barkley never once managed to make it through a full 82 games, in fact, he only played over 80 games 3 of his 16 years. Malone played less than 80 games only 2 seasons in his 19 year career.

If you want a dependable player, its not Barkley.
Except I never said that Barkley was the more dependable player. I said over a 5 year stretch from 88-93, I consider him better than Malone. I'd hardly call the teams he played on 'loaded'. He played with good talent in Phoenix with KJ and Majerle, and then on an aging Houston Rockets team with Hakeem and Drexler, both of which were past their peak( though still good players obviously). His teams certainly weren't anymore loaded than any of the other good teams back then. You want loaded from that era, try the Portland Trailblazers with Drexler, Porter, Kersey, Duckworth, Buck Williams, Danny Ainge, Cliff Robinson. That's loaded. I'd say we have different definitions of that term.

Quote:

Barkleys size hurt his defense, and it always held him back on that side of the ball. Its also why he never became an elite defensive rebounder.
Barkley's laziness hurt his defense more than anything( though yes, at 6"6 there's only so much you can do defensively against bigger power forwards).So his size hurt his defensive rebounding, but not his offensive? Interesting....bottomline is he was an outstanding rebounder, ( lead the league one year) in an era with standout centers and power forwards. He's not going to have a problem rebounding against the 2012 team USA.

Last edited by Roman77; 08-01-2012 at 08:16 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
You watch your language man, not in the mood. Stay on Topic
I don't care what you're in the mood for. You talk some smack about needing to find a woman, and then try to play the 'stay on topic' game?

Pi$$ off.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:

Old 08-01-2012, 08:06 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
One other thing that I'm not sure has been mentioned yet, but...

If the game were close, 1992 Dream Team had a cadre of clutch, ice-cold assassins who were unafraid to take the last shot or make the last big play. And they would take over the game.

Jordan, Magic, Bird, and I'll throw Stockton in there too. Clutch as clutch can get, he just had Jordan in his way too many years, otherwise he'd have a title. Ice cold assassin he was...

2012 only has Kobe on that level. Durant may be there someday but hasn't proven it yet. LeBron as great a player as he is ... is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball