Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 11:41 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,712,855 times

Advertisements

This is just Mike feeling the heat of the "Lebron is better" talk that is going around today. Its just bitterness, nothing else. Sorry Mike, Lebron's better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 12:48 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,544,095 times
MJ is very well aware of the gap closing with Lebron...still a ways to go, but you can tell that is reason why he said it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
This is just Mike feeling the heat of the "Lebron is better" talk that is going around today. Its just bitterness, nothing else. Sorry Mike, Lebron's better.
Lebron still has a ways too go if he does close the gap,but no way Lebron is better at this point..no way.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Jza

259 posts, read 379,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
It's a team game. By his logic, Robert Horry is better than MJ. Not very deep, insightful wisdom coming from the so-called "greatest player to every play the game."
Don't know why people keep making this point. I'm sure when he's talking about rings as accomplishments he's talking about players who are the main factors in said accomplishments. Why to people need to be walked through statements like this. It's easy to assess with just a tad of common sense that Dennis Rodman had more to do with winning a title than say Luc Longley. That's what he means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
Michael Jordan also picked Kwame Brown over Pau Gasol.

I agree with what Kevin Durant said though. If your going to judge players based on rings or accomplishments you have to wait till the end of their career. Whether Lebron ever gets to Jordans level remains to be seen but I think it's funny that so many people still hate on Lebron. The thing about Lebron is that I think he's finally starting to figure out the game in a way the all time greats do. Guys like Kobe and Michael are not only great players but had a high basketball IQ. I think Lebrons basketball IQ is starting to catch up with his game.
Great post! That's how I feel watching James over the years. All he does is get better. It's scary when a player already that good continues to evolve and become a master of more aspects of the game. Jordan developed a lethal post game and James has become a master of picking his spots. Wade/LJ are damn fun to watch, they're awesome. I also don't hear enough about LeBron's defense. He plays HARD D, at least in the games I've seen. I think Bryant's actually been overrated in the defense dept myself.

I also think as arrogant as LJ sounds sometimes he cares more about team success than Kobe. When Kobe says "it's all about the W" that's a knee slapper. Also Durant is just amazing. 2 best players in the NBA by far right now and neither stack up to Kobe's accomplishments thus far. Like you said, count the chips when it's all said and done.

-J

Old 02-16-2013, 06:31 PM

462 posts, read 427,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post

LeBron has great potential, but he hasn't played long enough, or overcome enough challenges, to be compared to Kobe or Jordan yet.
Hasn't played long enough? LeBron has been in the league for a decade.

Hasn't overcome enough challenges? What do you call being drafted by Cleveland and leading that team to the Finals at 21 with a roster full of guys who probably could not have started for most teams in the league at the time?

What about losing in the playoffs to Boston or in the Finals against Dallas? What about having to carry the Heat past a game Indiana squad without a healthy or willing D-Wade? What about facing elimination against Boston -- with the Big 3 blueprint, his reputation and legacy on the line in Game 6 and Game 7 -- and having the performances of his life?

What professional challenges has Kobe overcome? He got traded to one of the most stories and successful organizations in sport on draft night, had veteran teammates that included the likes of the greatest center of his era in Shaq, and was coached by a HOFer in Phil Jackson. The one time he was placed in a similar position as LeBron, he bitched and moan, publicly and privately about his teammates and management until he got his way.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:32 PM

632 posts, read 1,031,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dux View Post
Michael Jordan said he would rather have Kobe than LeBron
Michael Jordan is stupid.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:46 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,720,359 times
For God's sake, let's just agree that they're both great players and I would have either one on my team.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:47 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,720,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
Michael Jordan also picked Kwame Brown over Pau Gasol.

I agree with what Kevin Durant said though. If your going to judge players based on rings or accomplishments you have to wait till the end of their career. Whether Lebron ever gets to Jordans level remains to be seen but I think it's funny that so many people still hate on Lebron. The thing about Lebron is that I think he's finally starting to figure out the game in a way the all time greats do. Guys like Kobe and Michael are not only great players but had a high basketball IQ. I think Lebrons basketball IQ is starting to catch up with his game.
How convenient.....spoken by a player who hasn't won a ring yet!

Old 02-17-2013, 09:01 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,325,103 times
i agree, i'd take kobe over the same player that was outscored in the game's biggest stage by J-A-S-O-N T-E-R-R-Y.
and averaged almost 10 full points BELOW his season average in the biggest games of his life and he disappears. the mavs were arguably the softest team to make the finals in the last 10 years, with absolutely nobody that could guard him and he averages 17 a game lol.

oh wait lets all forget his many short comings because he won a ring last year hahaha

Old 02-18-2013, 06:26 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,092,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
The NBA that Mike played is completely different than the NBA that Lebron is playing in. The NBA was more physical back when MJ was playing. Teams and players played and believed in defense. Also, they were a lot of good teams with Star players.

I don't know why people love to compare Jordan with every new player. Jordan's NBA was different, the training and supplements was different, etc. Today, the NBA is different, the training and supplements that players have and take are different, etc.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:23 AM

462 posts, read 427,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
The NBA that Mike played is completely different than the NBA that Lebron is playing in. The NBA was more physical back when MJ was playing. Teams and players played and believed in defense. Also, they were a lot of good teams with Star players.

I don't know why people love to compare Jordan with every new player. Jordan's NBA was different, the training and supplements was different, etc. Today, the NBA is different, the training and supplements that players have and take are different, etc.
1. Isn't the NBA is supposed to evolve over time?
2. There are a lot of good teams that feature star players today, too.
3. So, no team stresses defense these days? Go look up the league average in PPG from 25 years ago compared to today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball