Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 11:09 AM

653 posts, read 783,739 times

Advertisements

It's an interesting concept, but I personally don't want any change to the number of games. Your idea does work though......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 03:17 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,093,678 times
the most recent locked out season was IMO ideal with the exception of the couple of back to back to backs. let the season run another 2-3 weeks instead and that would be perfect.

in addition, eliminate the conferences. make the playoffs the top 16 teams over all instead of 8 and 8.

if it were the top 16 teams, there would be only 1 team with a losing record, one team with a 500 record and the thunder would have made the playoffs.

gs vs bos
atl vs mil
hou vs okc
lac vs no
mem vs was
sa vs tor
cle vs dal
por vs chi

those are pretty compelling series for the most part.

predicted 2nd round

gs vs por
atl vs cle
hou vs sa
lac vs mem

even more compelling

MY presumed winners

gs vs mem
cle vs sa

now im bias so i would end up with SA vs GS in the finals as i dont think the spurs would lay and egg like the warriors vs the cavs.

spurs vs warriors in the finals would be pretty compelling, maybe not as compelling as the current finals but only because lebron is beating the warriors with nobodies.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:19 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,934,041 times
LOL!!!!!!!!!!

NBA and NHL play the same number of regular season games and have the same playoff format.... and someone is going to write an article about the "physical demands" it takes to play the NBA schedule?

I'd like to see some of these NBA players put on skates for an 82+ game NHL schedule and get beat to hell and see how it compares....

Old 06-12-2015, 04:36 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
LOL!!!!!!!!!!

NBA and NHL play the same number of regular season games and have the same playoff format.... and someone is going to write an article about the "physical demands" it takes to play the NBA schedule?

I'd like to see some of these NBA players put on skates for an 82+ game NHL schedule and get beat to hell and see how it compares....

Basketball is a higher calorie burning sport than ice hockey

Old 06-12-2015, 04:37 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
It's an interesting concept, but I personally don't want any change to the number of games. Your idea does work though......

adam silver last night said there is no correlation between the lenght of the season and when injuries occur. More games just give you more chances

Old 06-12-2015, 08:45 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
I think the injuries have as much to do with weight-lifting as the number of games played.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:28 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I think the injuries have as much to do with weight-lifting as the number of games played.
I'd say that and with sports being big business, kids are probably playing competitively from the time they're 5-6 yrs old...school ball, AAU, summer leagues/camps, etc. 25-30+ years ago, kids probably only played for their school's team 3 months out of the year when they entered junior high in 7th grade. And weight lifting wasn't as common for basketball players. All this activity adds up to a lot of stress on the joints/tendons by the time someone is 25+ years old.

I know he's just one guy, but Tim Duncan started playing basketball in 9th grade and went to college 4 years - here he is playing well/relatively injury free at 38-39 yrs old.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:24 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
It's physiology 101. The body needs a couple days to recover and rebuild from an intense workout. The NBA players are playing 3.5 games per week during the regular season.

Part of the onus lies with the coaches as well. If you look at Tim Duncan's career, his minutes have steadily declined over time. He played 3200 minutes his rookie year, 2200 last year. Popovich knows what he's doing. Popovich is also known for sitting out players from time to time.

If the NBA wants 82 games for the sake of revenue, they should consider changing the season from Sept. to June instead of Nov to June. And don't get me started on the ridiculousness of playing the finals in mid-June, when it's 90 degrees out in many places. Basketball was invented by Dr. Naismith to provide a means of exercise during the winter months.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:29 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
I don't think its the season that is the problem, its the lack of an off season. Players don't actually rest and take second jobs during the off season anymore but try to maintain near peak physical conditioning for 365 days a year.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:48 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I don't think its the season that is the problem, its the lack of an off season. Players don't actually rest and take second jobs during the off season anymore but try to maintain near peak physical conditioning for 365 days a year.
Seems like you have to...especially if you're on a team going to the finals often. When does training camp start... September? Might as well say the season ends July 1st so that gives you 3 months off....about like being a teacher. If a player wants to try and improve before the next season, there's just no time to let their body go. I bet LeBron kinda feels like the basketball season hasn't ended in 5 years....makes me wonder how long he'll keep his hunger even if his skill doesn't drop off that much. Perhaps Kobe sorta benefited in 09 and 10 from the Lakers not being that good after Shaq left....a lot more physical and mental rest when you aren't going to the finals year after year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball