Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:50 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,975 times

Advertisements

The GM loves his sabermetrics. He consistently builds teams with little soul that perform reasonably well during the regular season but fail miserably come playoff time.

They're the NBA's answer to the Oakland A's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 02:06 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Let me get this straight....

Howard is averaging close to 30-15, and is 15/24 from the FT line which is respectable.....and you are singling him out as the problem while James Harden has shot 14 of 47 from the field?

Harden missed ELEVEN 3-pointers in game 1 where they lost by 2 points in OT. I'm sure that somehow that's Dwight Howards fault too.....
Mathguy, once again you are able to surprise me with your relentless and misguided defining of Dwight Howard. "30-15", so what! How many playoff wins has he gotten the Rockets so far? lol. Your right in that James Harden is shooting pretty bad but that doesn't overshadow how Lamarcus Aldridge is outperforming Howard both physically and mentally. So far Howard simply isn't coming in the clutch. The Rockets could very well get swept 4-0 in this series. If the Rockets do indeed end up getting swept in the 1st round of the playoff then I don't see how the Rockets wouldn't trade him or cut him if necessarily.

Quote:
P.S. Aren't you the guy that was blaming Howard for wrecking the 76ers because he was part of the Bynum trade?
Almost everyone knows that Howard double crossed the Lakers organization and indirectly set the 76ers organization back about 5-6 years since the Lakers traded Bynum on good faith believing that Howard would stay long term with the Lakers. Obviously that big trade backfired on both organizations as both teams are at the bottom of the standings. Two great historic franchises that are also one of the largest sports markets in the country and they are not even playoff contenders. Just let that sink in for a second. Anyway all of that has nothing to do with Dwight Howard's current performance in the playoffs.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 04-24-2014 at 02:16 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 02:12 PM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Mathguy, once again you are able to surprise me with your relentless and misguided defining of Dwight Howard. "30-15", so what! How many playoff wins has he gotten the Rockets so far? lol. Your right in that James Harden is shooting pretty bad but that doesn't overshadow how Lamarcus Aldridge is outperforming Howard both physically and mentally. So far Howard simply isn't coming in the clutch. The Rockets could very well get swept 4-0 in the series. If the Rockets do indeed in up getting swept in the 1st round of the playoff then don't see how the Rockets wouldn't trade him or cut him if necessarily.

Almost everyone knows that Howard double crossed the Lakers organization and indirectly set the 76ers organization back about 5-6 years since the Lakers traded Bynum on good faith believing that Howard would stay long term with the Lakers. Obviously that big trade backfired on both organizations as both teams are at the bottom of the standings. Two great historic franchises and also one of the largest sports markets in the country that are not even playoff contenders. Just let that sink in for a second. Anyway all of that has nothing to do with Dwight Howard's current performance in the playoffs.
Thanks, I just wanted to get it all out there for everyone to take in.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I just wanted to get it all out there for everyone to take in.
What's there to take in? If you can't trade a player than the team will most likely cut him. I'm not saying that will happen but you can't completely say that its not a possibility if things continue to go south for the Rockets. I'm just analyzing the worst case scenario, that's all. I know your a Dwight Howard apologist so I expected you to take it the wrong way.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:11 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Since Kelvin Sampson (who was their defensive coach) left, Rox are 5-7. They are giving up 113 pts. per game.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:05 AM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
What's there to take in? If you can't trade a player than the team will most likely cut him. I'm not saying that will happen but you can't completely say that its not a possibility if things continue to go south for the Rockets. I'm just analyzing the worst case scenario, that's all. I know your a Dwight Howard apologist so I expected you to take it the wrong way.
I can only pray you are trolling at this point.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:20 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,093,678 times
Quote:
Mathguy, once again you are able to surprise me with your relentless and misguided defining of Dwight Howard. "30-15", so what! How many playoff wins has he gotten the Rockets so far? lol. Your right in that James Harden is shooting pretty bad but that doesn't overshadow how Lamarcus Aldridge is outperforming Howard both physically and mentally. So far Howard simply isn't coming in the clutch. The Rockets could very well get swept 4-0 in this series. If the Rockets do indeed end up getting swept in the 1st round of the playoff then I don't see how the Rockets wouldn't trade him or cut him if necessarily.

have you watched the games? even a little of the games? howard isnt even playing on aldridge very often and mostly on switches. the rockets coach, mcfail, has been completely out coached, harden has shot the rockets out of the games, and aldridge has been single covered by the likes of terrance jones and even omer asik!

the only thing really hampering howard is foul trouble. howard so far is averaging -2.5 on the +/- category.
honestly IMO it is the guard play that is winning the blazers this series. adridge is a monster, but the guards are offering a better +/-.

beverly cant keep up because harden is a TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE DEFENDER!

Old 04-25-2014, 12:32 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times
I dont think the series is over yet, but Houston had better do something fast! Howard has not been guarding Aldridge...LA has been abusing Jones and Asik--neither of whom can guard him. Now, Portland will go home against a desparate Rockets team. Will Portland keep their boot on Houston's neck? It would be very easy, up 2-0 and going home, to relax and lose this advantage...

Old 04-25-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I can only pray you are trolling at this point.
No, just being a realist. The odds of him being cut or traded next season are low but it's still possible.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
have you watched the games? even a little of the games? howard isnt even playing on aldridge very often and mostly on switches. the rockets coach, mcfail, has been completely out coached, harden has shot the rockets out of the games, and aldridge has been single covered by the likes of terrance jones and even omer asik!

the only thing really hampering howard is foul trouble. howard so far is averaging -2.5 on the +/- category.
honestly IMO it is the guard play that is winning the blazers this series. adridge is a monster, but the guards are offering a better +/-.

beverly cant keep up because harden is a TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE DEFENDER!
Again, please stop making excuses for Howard. You would think at some point Howard would try and take over the game like most dominate big man do in the playoffs. As of now he isn't making his teammates better on the court. Luckily for the Rockets, the series is still early and they still have time to try and turn the series in their favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball