Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:19 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times

Advertisements

You know, I might be wrong, but I see Donald Sterling suing the NBA (a lawsuit I think Sterling has a decent chance of winning BTW, due to the nature of how his comments were recorded) and not selling the Clippers out of spite. He's worth $1.9 billion, he only bought the team for $12 million, and he's 79 years old, pretty much an old man who is likely to pass away in the next 10-15 years. What does he have to lose at this point? He could really harm the NBA if he chose not to sell the Clippers and the Clippers couldn't field a competitive team because no one wanted to play for them.

From what I've read about the NBA's constitution, I think the lifetime ban is the best the NBA could do in terms of trying to force Sterling to sell the team. That should have been (and IMO, needed to be) the NBA's goal in this situation - to have Sterling sell the team. You can't have someone in power make comments where some of his employees could feel potentially undermined and at least some of those employees are bound by contract to that employer. Unfortunately, due to limitations in the NBA's bylaws in terms of situations when the NBA can take over control of a team, the penalty is both too severe and not severe enough in some ways.

Last edited by CHIP72; 04-29-2014 at 09:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 09:21 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Players charge into the stands like wild animals and attempt to beat the life out of fans...playing and getting paid millions a few months later.

Owner nobody knows tells GF to not post pics with blacks in a private conversation....banned for life, stripped of property, told to go die in a hole somewhere.

Welcome to the NBA.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:45 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Players charge into the stands like wild animals and attempt to beat the life out of fans...playing and getting paid millions a few months later.

Owner nobody knows tells GF to not post pics with blacks in a private conversation....banned for life, stripped of property, told to go die in a hole somewhere.

Welcome to the NBA.
We get it. Stop being a big, whining baby about this situation (and about the fact that women's basketball receives media coverage).

BTW, even though I think political correctness is frequently BS and think that there often is a double standard when it comes to making racial comments, do you think it's alright for someone in a position of power to make disparaging comments about a particular group that many of his employees belong to, particularly in a case where those employees are bound by contract to that employer and can't seek a similar job with a different employer? The Sterling situation is a different situation than many other cases of white on black verbal racism that have occurred in the past - Sterling is the BOSS of the team, the guy in power who has the ability to make decisions that could negatively impact his employees' livelihood. All the black employees in the Clippers' organization could feel (legitimately IMO) that they could be potentially undermined by Sterling at any time as long as he remains in control of the team.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:50 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post

Would you actually say our country is more united as a result of this?
The only thing that could have come out of this is one strong proper step being taken, to make a statement that such 1950 Bull Connors mindsets would not be allowed in positions of power in a business. That is exactly what did happen. It is a great day, in that the one step that could be taken, was courageously taken.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
We get it. Stop being a big, whining baby about this situation (and about the fact that women's basketball receives media coverage).
I think everybody else is whining.

Quote:
BTW, even though I think political correctness is frequently BS and think that there often is a double standard when it comes to making racial comments, do you think it's alright for someone in a position of power to make disparaging comments about a particular group that many of his employees belong to, particularly in a case where those employees are bound by contract to that employer and can't seek a similar job with a different employer? The Sterling situation is a different situation than many other cases of white on black verbal racism that have occurred in the past - Sterling is the BOSS of the team, the guy in power who has the ability to make decisions that could negatively impact his employees' livelihood. All the black employees in the Clippers' organization could feel (legitimately IMO) that they could be potentially undermined by Sterling at any time as long as he remains in control of the team.
Can you quote the specific disparaging remarks Sterling made in this recording?

And Sterling's teams have been 80%+ black for 30 years so who exactly can he discriminate against? Give the lighter skinned blacks higher salaries than those with darker skin?

Old 04-29-2014, 10:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
GF recorded him secretly when she race baited him. very illegal. i suspect she had blackmail intentions that did not pan out.
not every beauty queen from manila is a nice person.
black stars have had similar games played with them by "GF" types as well.
shake down games.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:41 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times
Quote:

Welcome to the NBA.
Quote:

After today there is no Metta World Peace, he would of been banned for life and deservedly so, after today had Vick been in the NBA, there is no comeback as he is banned as well. Was it Kobe last year or so who called a player a seemingly harmless homophobic slur, that starts with an F and ends with a T? After today an NBA player who smacks his wife, or gets a DUI may not be in the league, and the idiotic players have no one to blame but themselves.

Roger Mason the VP of the union was talking about how some of the teams tonight were going to boycott the playoffs if they didn't like what Adam Silvers punishment was, the Golden State Warriors players bragged how they were going to walk out after the tip off during the game and they are so stupid to bring this up after Silver made his decision. Idiots. You keep that stuff quiet until you need to use it, once Silver dropped the hammer, you go on about your business. Dude just fired one of his bosses, what do you think he can do to a player if he so chooses?

Silver had no choice, when sponsors like Coke, American Express, etc, are threatening to drop out, he had no choice. I guarantee there are a few owners who aren't happy about this precedent being set, especially a guy like Mark Cuban who not only gets fined a lot of money, he can't buy an MLB team as that league is run by the biggest scumbag commissioner in all of professional sports. The owners have to vote in favor in getting rid of Sterling now, who would play for a team that doesn't vote him out.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
After today there is no Metta World Peace, he would of been banned for life and deservedly so, after today had Vick been in the NBA, there is no comeback as he is banned as well. Was it Kobe last year or so who called a player a seemingly harmless homophobic slur, that starts with an F and ends with a T? After today an NBA player who smacks his wife, or gets a DUI may not be in the league, and the idiotic players have no one to blame but themselves.
Yep. The NBA has set themselves up for how future actions will be punished. If a player hits his wife -- how does that compare to a "racist" remark? How does a crime involving drugs compare to a racist remark? What about insulting gays? If a racist remark results in a lifetime ban, $800M property confiscation and $2.5M fine -- surely these acts are worth 2-3 year suspensions? Will the NBA be willing to lay a lengthy suspension on one of their cash cows like Kobe, Lebron or Melo?

Old 04-30-2014, 01:18 AM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
You know, I might be wrong, but I see Donald Sterling suing the NBA (a lawsuit I think Sterling has a decent chance of winning BTW, due to the nature of how his comments were recorded) and not selling the Clippers out of spite. He's worth $1.9 billion, he only bought the team for $12 million, and he's 79 years old, pretty much an old man who is likely to pass away in the next 10-15 years. What does he have to lose at this point? He could really harm the NBA if he chose not to sell the Clippers and the Clippers couldn't field a competitive team because no one wanted to play for them.

From what I've read about the NBA's constitution, I think the lifetime ban is the best the NBA could do in terms of trying to force Sterling to sell the team. That should have been (and IMO, needed to be) the NBA's goal in this situation - to have Sterling sell the team. You can't have someone in power make comments where some of his employees could feel potentially undermined and at least some of those employees are bound by contract to that employer. Unfortunately, due to limitations in the NBA's bylaws in terms of situations when the NBA can take over control of a team, the penalty is both too severe and not severe enough in some ways.
You're right. If he hasn't got anything better to do, he may spend his time pursuing a lawsuit. Not sure why he'd bother. Like you mentioned, he's 79 years old. Not too many years left.

I remember back in '96, Marge Schott (owner of the Cincinnati Reds) was banned for similar comments. Personally, I think hers were much worse. Her racism went beyond the bounds of one ethnicity. She slammed Asians and homosexuals as well as African Americans. She was a real tool. She was banned from the MLB but then reinstated in '98. Ended up selling the team a year later. (imo she shouldn't have been reinstated). These bans on sports figures have a tendency to be reversed.

As for Sterling, I don't think he really cares. He's got more money than he'll ever spend and can pretty much live his life any way he wants. He's a piece of work, for sure, but he'll be yesterday's news before too long. His pomposity is astounding, given it's 2014. I hope he's never reinstated. The guy who announced Sterling's ban stated something like there was no place for that in the NBA. What he should have said is that there's no place for that in our society. Because there isn't.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:36 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,912,447 times
Quote:

Welcome to the NBA.
Someones MAD!!! say it with me Banned For Life!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball