Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 10:45 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,062,220 times

Advertisements

I've never been a fan of him and am glad he's going to be exposed without KD. If he does well, great, I'll give him a ton more respect. I hope if he fails some of the Westbrook fans out there finally see him for what he is.

Is he a top PG? Yes. Is he the best PG? No.

Is he a top 10 player in the league, not even close in my mind. Let's see if he can change that opinion. I don't see it happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 03:27 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,543,265 times
People hate Russell Westbrook and are all over him when he messes up.

Why does Chris Paul get a pass for choking in the playoffs and not Russell Westbrook?

Old 10-14-2014, 03:59 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,097,111 times
Interestingly, there is no data to go on for this. Kevin Durant simply has not missed games throughout his career. On January 24, 2014, Kevin Durant missed a game. Oddly enough, Westbrook also missed the game as it was during his stretch where he was out 27 games due to injury.

On that night in question, the Thunder won 101-83 at Boston with Jeremy Lamb (19), and Reggie Jackson (14) picking up significant slack.

I tend to be of the mindset that Westbrook will flourish offensively. He's got a scorer's mentality and whether you like him or not, this is probably where he'll shine the most. If he was a pass-first PG who relied on other scorer's to get the ball in the basket, then I'd have the opposite opinion.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:43 PM

929 posts, read 1,660,240 times
Is he a PG? No.

He's a SG who has the rock all game and has the ability to limit KD's effectiveness.

When KD comes back, he needs a Rondo PG. Get rid of Westbrick.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:54 PM

80 posts, read 99,303 times
Russ is top ten or very close to it, top 15 at worse.

Quote:
Is he a top 10 player in the league, not even close in my mind.
Laughable.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbabyatskiy View Post
Russ is top ten or very close to it, top 15 at worse.

Laughable.
You know what's laughable, Westbrook's True Stats

Old 10-15-2014, 06:42 AM

78,437 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
People hate Russell Westbrook and are all over him when he messes up.

Why does Chris Paul get a pass for choking in the playoffs and not Russell Westbrook?
1. Because Paul plays defense at a much higher level.

2. Because Westbrook shoots a lower FG% in the playoffs than the regular season.
Russell Westbrook NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

3. Because Paul shoots 5% higher than Westbrook and makes his teamates better.
Chris Paul NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

If you want to make a point like this, at least back it up. I looked at Pauls FG% in the playoffs is on par with what he does in the regular season so you should probably be more specific.

I'm not anti-westbrook and I've been giving him time to grow his game but his shot selection and thus FG% hasn't really improved. Basically, when is he going to develop further?

Old 10-15-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1. Because Paul plays defense at a much higher level.

2. Because Westbrook shoots a lower FG% in the playoffs than the regular season.
Russell Westbrook NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

3. Because Paul shoots 5% higher than Westbrook and makes his teamates better.
Chris Paul NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

If you want to make a point like this, at least back it up. I looked at Pauls FG% in the playoffs is on par with what he does in the regular season so you should probably be more specific.

I'm not anti-westbrook and I've been giving him time to grow his game but his shot selection and thus FG% hasn't really improved. Basically, when is he going to develop further?
Now or never.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:35 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,585,406 times
Westbrook is a shooting guard. He's not point guard and never will be. At this point Brooks may as well start Jackson and move Westbrook off the ball. It would also help if the Thunder ran a real offense that involved more motion and all five players touching the ball.

Part of it is surely Westbrook. But a big part of OKC's problems is a coach who basically wings it because he has two the most explosive players in the league.

And yes, Russell Westbrook is top ten in the league.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:14 PM

78,437 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
Westbrook is a shooting guard. He's not point guard and never will be. At this point Brooks may as well start Jackson and move Westbrook off the ball. It would also help if the Thunder ran a real offense that involved more motion and all five players touching the ball.

Part of it is surely Westbrook. But a big part of OKC's problems is a coach who basically wings it because he has two the most explosive players in the league.

And yes, Russell Westbrook is top ten in the league.
He should concentrate more on being a "Making guard" instead of just shooting.

Top 10 in the league is a loose area of discussion which depends upon what a team needs most.
Me personally, I cannot have a guy shooting 42% and taking 20 FGA's per game in my top 10.

Let's see Westbrook lead the team for 25ish games and see how they do. I'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball