Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 07:36 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
To leave out Kareem Abdul Jabar is unforgivable!

Anyway...

With the exception of the Knicks Walt Frazier and Earl Monroe, the list could begin and end there, if the issue is who turn NBA into one of the preeminent sports franchises. And if you add , Clyde Drexler, Karl Malone, Moses Malone, Hakeem Olajuwan and the Doctor you have players who made teams outside of the Boston/LA nexus making teams, in the West and South, actual rivals of the two perennials.

The league was already developed internationally before Kukoc, Dirk, Ginoblie and Yao came along which is why they "came along" in the first place. And if you want to credit the Team that brought European play up a level worthy of consideration... you are right back where you started, Bird and Magic Dream Team I.

Again within the context of your question the NBA was a done deal by the time they signed their contracts. Think about it, Walton was a 3rd generation Laker big man, trying to follow in none other than Wilt, a Kareem. Robinson was good center in an era packed with great all time greats, Robert Parish, Olajuwon, Malone, Ewing, McAdoo. Artis Gilmore.

As you should, along with Shaq massive players but in a mature league.
Many good points.

I don't think we can just wave our hand at what some of the foreign players did for the NBA's global expansion by saying it was already established.

The NBA's global reach has really exploded over the last 10-15 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 08:05 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,093,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Many good points.

I don't think we can just wave our hand at what some of the foreign players did for the NBA's global expansion by saying it was already established.

The NBA's global reach has really exploded over the last 10-15 years.
yao was arguably the biggest catalyst of that expansion.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:50 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Basketball is now definitely an international game much like soccer (albeit not to the same degree as soccer), which it wasn't 30 years ago. Someone did a thread asking who was the 2nd best US-born white player (presuming Kevin Love to be #1). No one could come up with a name. Almost all of the top white players were from Europe, Russia, Balkans, etc.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:11 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Well here's my reasoning by the time that Dirk (1998), Kukoc (1993) and Ginobili (2002) entered the NBA, you already had Vlade Divac (Lakers 1989), Rick Smits (Pacers, 1988) and Kiki Vandeweghe (Denver 1980) playing the league, all though Vandeweghe had been in the U.S. since high school. Which means to me that the NBA was firmly entrenched in Europe way before even their entrance into the league. Why, because they had to be inspired to play pro ball long before they actually played pro-ball, you feel me? Now if you look at all the great Europeans playing the game, most come in after 1992, so don't underestimate the impact of Dream Team I on play in Europe. It was the Dream Teams wholesale massacre that demonstrated the just how far ahead the NBA was compared to the rest of the world. Sure the U.S. Olympic teams had owned the Gold Medal for decades but they weren't nearly as massively dominate as our pros. To me, the Dream Team sealed the deal despite the NBA's international presence began in 1978! By 1984, the NBA was sending four teams to play across Europe. That is why I would argue that the your list was the result, not the beginning.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Almost all of the top white players were from Europe, Russia, Balkans, etc.
So I guess we have to rephrase... Anglo-Saxons can't jump! (Just kidding)!

Old 08-26-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Well here's my reasoning by the time that Dirk (1998), Kukoc (1993) and Ginobili (2002) entered the NBA, you already had Vlade Divac (Lakers 1989), Rick Smits (Pacers, 1988) and Kiki Vandeweghe (Denver 1980) playing the league, all though Vandeweghe had been in the U.S. since high school. Which means to me that the NBA was firmly entrenched in Europe way before even their entrance into the league. Why, because they had to be inspired to play pro ball long before they actually played pro-ball, you feel me? Now if you look at all the great Europeans playing the game, most come in after 1992, so don't underestimate the impact of Dream Team I on play in Europe. It was the Dream Teams wholesale massacre that demonstrated the just how far ahead the NBA was compared to the rest of the world. Sure the U.S. Olympic teams had owned the Gold Medal for decades but they weren't nearly as massively dominate as our pros. To me, the Dream Team sealed the deal despite the NBA's international presence began in 1978! By 1984, the NBA was sending four teams to play across Europe. That is why I would argue that the your list was the result, not the beginning.
I agree about the dream team, great point.

It's a big world out there, I don't think you can say that Vlade or Smits gained the NBA any ground in a country like China or even in many parts of Europe. In a lot of countries you really need someone from that country to really fire up the base so to speak.

The NBA in the US been treading water since Jordan if you look at Neilsen ratings but revenues and everything else have exploded. That growth had to have come from somewhere...and it did....overseas.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:31 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
I think the raw growth in numbers might also have to do with inflation and how everything just costs so much more these days.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I think the raw growth in numbers might also have to do with inflation and how everything just costs so much more these days.
• Total league revenue of the NBA 2001-2014 | Statistic

If you do the math it's growing revenues by 5% a year which depending upon which versions of inflation you believe should still leave plenty of room for growth exceeding inflation.

For comparison baseball is up about 4.6% annually over the same period.

I'd suspect that the NBA stagnated a bit here in the NBA due to some image problems and got most of their growth from overseas. The US Nielsen ratings would suggest stagnancy in the US so the growth had to come predominantly from expanding overseas presence.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:

I'd suspect that the NBA stagnated a bit here in the NBA due to some image problems and got most of their growth from overseas. The US Nielsen ratings would suggest stagnancy in the US so the growth had to come predominantly from expanding overseas presence.
I looked at those numbers as well and you're right about the NBA showing little growth in the U.S. market, I known I stopped following after the Shaq/Kobe dust ups. I was a Lakers fan from the day that Kareem was traded to LA. Shaq left for Miami.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I looked at those numbers as well and you're right about the NBA showing little growth in the U.S. market, I known I stopped following after the Shaq/Kobe dust ups. I was a Lakers fan from the day that Kareem was traded to LA. Shaq left for Miami.
Yeah, I really don't want to get into a peeing contest with fans but the 2 greatest players since Jordan that are near retiring are Kobe and Duncan.

Duncan is shy for lack of a better word and has no commercial appeal.

Kobe had the rape accusation thing.

Neither really was a great poster child for league development.

Yao probably makes more a year in endorsements than both of them combined....STILL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball