Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 07:32 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times

Advertisements

Thoughts?

Magic Johnson: 'No way' Stockton, Curry better than Isiah Thomas | FOX Sports

Some of the reasons I've seen for why Isiah is better than Curry include...

-Isiah beat legends. Curry hasn't.
-Curry wouldn't survive in the more physical NBA of the 1980s.
-Curry has only had 2 good seasons
-More players would have shot like Curry in the 80s had the 3-Point shot been emphasized
-Isiah scored 25 points on a sore ankle. Curry has never had such heroics.
-Isiah was a "win at all costs" player. Curry doesn't have the same will to win.
-Isiah was a true point guard. Curry shoots too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 07:55 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Curry is flourishing in the current era of the NBA that favors his size and style of play.

He would indeed have a very hard time in the past era...but we're not playing in a time-machine.

As such, Magic can suck it. Curry is the best player in the NBA right now and the Lakers are has beens.

Several past greats at the PG position like Isaiha, Iverson and so forth would be FEASTING on the modern rules. How well? Who knows. Stop whining Magic.

I say this sincerely as a past Bulls, Pistons, Celtics, Spurs and Laker fan and current Bulls, Cleveland, Spurs and GSW fan.

P.S. I was also a Heat and Dallas fan for a little bit....and then the ROckets for a few years too.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:55 AM

Counterarguments to above arguments...

-Curry can't create a time machine and battle against Larry Bird and Magic Johnson.
-Curry is not a slasher and wouldn't be disturbed that much by handchecking.
-Curry's peak is higher than Zeke's peak.
-Curry is a more potent offensive player than Zeke ever was.
-Curry has won the MVP and a championship and has another MVP on lock barring major injury
-Zeke's best seasons were prior to the Bad Boys Championship run.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Curry is flourishing in the current era of the NBA that favors his size and style of play.

He would indeed have a very hard time in the past era...but we're not playing in a time-machine.

As such, Magic can suck it. Curry is the best player in the NBA right now and the Lakers are has beens.

Several past greats at the PG position like Isaiha, Iverson and so forth would be FEASTING on the modern rules. How well? Who knows. Stop whining Magic.

I say this sincerely as a past Bulls, Pistons, Celtics, Spurs and Laker fan and current Bulls, Cleveland, Spurs and GSW fan.

P.S. I was also a Heat and Dallas fan for a little bit....and then the ROckets for a few years too.
I don't think he would have a "very hard time" in the past era. If Mark Price could post 18.9 ppg on 52.6% shooting then I don't see any reason why Curry couldn't at least do that. I'm not sure if anyone here is willing to say that Price was a better all-around player than Curry.

How different guys would do in different eras should be put completely aside imo. The question, as I see it, is one of legacy.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:55 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,870 times
Another attempt by Magic to get attention. Sad.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:22 AM

I can see where Magic is coming from. Most people see a point guard's job as running the offense and racking up assists. It's probably the most difficult position to evaluate based on metrics since there are no stats for "floor generalship." There's more subjectivity in rating point guards than there is in rating shooting guards or power forwards imo.

Saying that Isiah was a better PG still doesn't answer the question of who the better player is. Sure, Curry is more of a scorer than Isiah, but what difference does that make so long as his team racks up wins? The whole point of playing the game is to win, not get a certain number of assists, rebounds, etc. It doesn't matter so much how you do it as long as the job gets done.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:25 AM

Curry has never had a game where he's gone bananas in both scoring and assists though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LnES_kkHgY

If you watch the video, you'll see that none of his assists were spectacular. Most involve him just passing the ball to guys coming off screens. He's not threading the needle and dishing out no looks.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:40 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,917 times
Can we at least get to near the end of Curry's career before we start talking about his all-time place?

All this is doing is fueling Curry's motivation lol.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Can we at least get to near the end of Curry's career before we start talking about his all-time place?

All this is doing is fueling Curry's motivation lol.
We don't have to talk about his all time place. We can just talk about whether he's already ahead of Isiah Thomas.

Or better yet, will he be ahead of Isiah if his team wins 73 games, he wins an MVP, a scoring title and another championship?

Conversations about Jordan's GOATness began in the 80s. They didn't start after the 1993 season.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:50 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,861,393 times
It's a different game now. Curry is great in the current NBA, Isiah was great in his NBA. Overall Isiah is better for now. Wait and see where Curry ends up. Time is the true measure. So far Curry has a couple of great seasons versus a great career. But to be top 5 he needs more assists per game.

In the end, I do think Isiah is a more rounded better player. Also, I don't see this as Magic looking for attention. He saw a fairly (today) biased list of best 10 and commented on it. There's no way Curry is top 5 yet. He's working to get there but the 5 guys under him are better than him on that list. Which Magic points out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball