Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 06:06 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

The Warrior bench still outscored the Cavs bench.

The big three stunk up the court, Green/Klay/Curry. Sure, Curry had 19 points, but that wasn't enough to go along with the other two.

We all know what the Dubs are capable of, and they'll come back tomorrow night.

Regardless, I echo the sentiments of others and I want to see a more competitive and compelling game from this point on. Whoever wins or loses, I want to see a good fight. It's no coincidence ratings are down for these finals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 07:18 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,327,951 times
Why are the Finals on Wednesday and Friday? In my 10 years I don't remember the Finals ever being on a day other than Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:38 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,086,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
Why are the Finals on Wednesday and Friday? In my 10 years I don't remember the Finals ever being on a day other than Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday.
Maybe something to do with not being 2-3-2 anymore

Old 06-09-2016, 08:24 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,327,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Maybe something to do with not being 2-3-2 anymore
I did not think of that, but went back and checked the dates of the games the past two years. They were all on Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:58 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Default The cream finally rises???

If the Cavs win the Finals, a key reason likely will be J.R. Smith. He dominated Steph Curry in Game 3.

This entire season, J.R. Smith seems to have been playing at his potential for the first time in his career. Few remember that, like LeBron James, Smith went to the NBA directly from high school.

Smith dwarfs Curry in size, allowing him to defend Klay Thompson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._Smith

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Curry

Curry is finding much of his game energy zapped trying to defend not only Smith, but also the one-and-done Irving. Irving was injured in last year's Finals match-up between the Cavs and the Warriors, and Smith played in a funk that impaired his subsequent free agency status.

https://theringer.com/cavaliers-play...32e#.lma10iffk

Smith was unwanted in the off-season, after his weak performance in the 2015 play-offs, and the Cavs resigned him at what now looks like a bargain price. Yet Smith has relegated Imam Shumpert, who signed for 90 percent more money than Smith, to a back-up roll. Unlike last year, Smith is playing defense.

Cleveland Cavaliers Player Contracts, Salaries, & Transactions | Spotrac

If Smith continues to demonstrate why he matriculated directly to the NBA, while only Davidson had an interest in Curry after high school, it will be a decisive factor in the 2016 Finals.

Curry looks confused and concerned. If Smith continues his domination, Curry may have an uphill fight to regain his fame as the conclusion after a Cavs victory may be that Curry only was the greatest beneficiary of being on a great team with the personnel to spotlight his shooting skills.

What

The above article doesn't mention that Smith defended Curry, but my memory is that I noticed that match-up at least several times. The following USA Today article does credit Smith with shutting down Klay Thompson.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...iors/85637182/

LeBron smothering Green and Smith dominating the Splash Brothers likely is the prescription for a Cavs victory.

Meanwhile, Thompson and Irving can run wild, and persons might be surprised about what Love can do when freed of his defensive assignment on Green.

There has to be some explanation for the Splash Brothers' collapse, and I wonder when the broadcast talking heads finally will credit Smith. If this were baseball, we might say Smith is the "Natural," the forgotten phenom returning from the Wilderness.

My focus in Game 4 will be on J.R. Smith.

http://www.thescore.com/news/1040740

http://www.mercurynews.com/marcus-th...inst-cavaliers

Last edited by WRnative; 06-09-2016 at 09:11 PM..

Old 06-09-2016, 09:45 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The big three stunk up the court, Green/Klay/Curry. Sure, Curry had 19 points, but that wasn't enough to go along with the other two.
He hit a few 3s in garbage time (3rd quarter I think). He was pretty bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
I did not think of that, but went back and checked the dates of the games the past two years. They were all on Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday.
They're having 2 days off every time they travel across the country. For some reason, there was also 2 days off after game 1.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:49 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
There has to be some explanation for the Splash Brothers' collapse, and I wonder when the broadcast talking heads finally will credit Smith. If this were baseball, we might say Smith is the "Natural," the forgotten phenom returning from the Wilderness.
Curry was horrible in games 2 and 3 last year too (which they lost). He got hot, or at least pretty good, at the end of the series. He may be the MVP, but he disappears for stretches of the playoffs, which is just not good. For example, a few games in the WCF. I'm sure he'll start hitting his shot again at some point. Unless it really is the Cleveland defense. I can't remember if Klay was good or not in the finals last year. Either way, the Warriors are so great not because of Curry, but because of their depth. They have so many guys who can knock down 3s. Curry, Klay, Green, Iguodala, a bunch of other guys off their bench. They don't need Curry to be great to win. But it doesn't help when he can't even hit his free throws.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:56 PM

78,368 posts, read 60,566,039 times
I'd be careful pointing to the first few games of a players trip to the finals. Nerves and adrenalin can jack things up especially for a shooter.

That was GS last year for the first few games.

So, perhaps KI and Love will start to warm up now as well.

I sure don't know, but I'm hoping this goes 7 games.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:23 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Regardless I doubt Love will stay in Cleveland for the entire 5 year extension. Not exactly a ringing endorsement or even a mention of Love by his teammates.

Cavs need to talk about Kevin

Quote:
Once again, Love’s on the brink. Once again, the Cavaliers are asking themselves: In the chase for the championship, the moment of truth, are we better with or without him?

Here had been a complete, crushing victory at the Q, the kind of commanding performance needed to end a seven-game losing streak to the defending champions. Richard Jefferson had substituted for Love in the lineup and delivered an inspired, inventive performance: nine points, eight rebounds, two assists and two steals. He defended deftly, delivered the perfect complement to LeBron James (32 points), Kyrie Irving (30) and J.R. Smith (20).

“I gave the game ball to R.J.,” James said.

Just what Love needed. There was no longing for Love – which there seldom is with James. To a man, the Cavaliers gushed over Jefferson, and something you didn’t hear out of them: The assumption that Love takes back the job on Friday night. If Love’s deemed cleared of his concussion, Lue didn’t rush to proclaim that Jefferson’s terrific Game 3 performance would land him back on the bench.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:38 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Curry was horrible in games 2 and 3 last year too (which they lost). He got hot, or at least pretty good, at the end of the series. He may be the MVP, but he disappears for stretches of the playoffs, which is just not good. For example, a few games in the WCF. I'm sure he'll start hitting his shot again at some point. Unless it really is the Cleveland defense. I can't remember if Klay was good or not in the finals last year. Either way, the Warriors are so great not because of Curry, but because of their depth. They have so many guys who can knock down 3s. Curry, Klay, Green, Iguodala, a bunch of other guys off their bench. They don't need Curry to be great to win. But it doesn't help when he can't even hit his free throws.

Those times he's 'disappearing' he's actually taking a lot of the defense with him, they have to commit to him. Nobody will ever dare him to shoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball