Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2016, 12:09 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Hmm, I don't see Love staying in Cleveland for the long haul...

Kevin Love thinks stepover moves like LeBron's are a 'form of disrespect' - SBNation.com

Quote:
Keep in mind, he is absolutely right that the move was a sign of disrespect. Draymond is not innocent by any means in this incident, either, given that he was issued a Game 5 suspension for hitting LeBron in the groin as Green got up. But Love already has a bad rap as belonging in the outer circle of the Cavaliers. Although playful in nature, Love even had to photoshop himself into team photos because he was never in them.

With rumors swirling that Love may wind up on a new team next season, he may have streamlined that process with his objective assessment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 12:59 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
The Warriors are still the better team, and I think, at home, they will beat Cleveland without the groin-puncher.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:12 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Ummm ... Bajan says GS has enough depth to compensate and I take your response

"Pretty damning depiction of what he brings to the team while others try to portray him as the heart and soul, rim protecting beast that is also their PG etc etc etc."

as you saying because GS claims the team can compensate, that Green is overrated and not as others portray him to be.

WTF do I care whether you put me on ignore? Your level of self-importance is over 9000.
Yeah, I don't get what he's saying. Not sure he understands basketball that well.

Green allows Golden State to play small, which has obviously been a huge advantage for them going back to last post-season. Offensively, he stretches the floor with his shooting, he is often the primary ball handler, he is usually the screener in PnRs with Curry, and he's a damned good passer from the post. Defensively, he's able to guard guys like Love and Frye and then switch on to smalls like Irving, Shumpert, Smith and Lebron. He also brings a lot to the table in terms of rebounding, particularly in his ability to box guys out (which is not reflected in stat sheets).

The Warriors don't NEED Green to win Game 5 just like they didn't need any of their starters to dominate the opening game of the series. I think going small gives them a big leg up on the Cavs, but they can win against Cleveland playing more conventional lineups all the same. That's not to say Green isn't a valuable part of the team because he clearly is. It's simply that Kerr has a deep enough lineup to shift guys around in order to be "good enough" against this particular team.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:14 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
To the coward's point though: this series still isn't over. Cavs have consistently made mistakes and the Warriors haven't. They've made more shots. They've made free throws. Cavs haven't been consistent and that's why they are down 3-1.
Isn't this obvious? Consistent teams/players win more. Novak Djokovic wins a lot because he plays well on Thursdays, Mondays, Saturdays, on holidays, on sunny days, on cloudy days, on windy days, on cold days, on hot days, on days when his tummy is a little woozy, etc. That's what makes him the best. He's more consistent than everyone else.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:25 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
To the coward's point though: this series still isn't over. Cavs have consistently made mistakes and the Warriors haven't. They've made more shots. They've made free throws. Cavs haven't been consistent and that's why they are down 3-1. We'll see what they have tonight. Really can't fathom how these Warriors obsessed, Steph Curry jock holders are seriously talking about the series like it's over at 3-1. Very short memories.
I am not saying the series is over because I have seen too much basketball to know better.

But there is a reason GSW won 16 more games than the Cavs in the regular season... in a tougher conference. Those reasons are in bold above. That's why many are not giving them much of a chance.

You are your body of work.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:52 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Isn't this obvious? Consistent teams/players win more. Novak Djokovic wins a lot because he plays well on Thursdays, Mondays, Saturdays, on holidays, on sunny days, on cloudy days, on windy days, on cold days, on hot days, on days when his tummy is a little woozy, etc. That's what makes him the best. He's more consistent than everyone else.
I'm responding to a coward who wrote to me, not you. S/he seems to think that I thin the Cavs are the greatest team ever. I have to point out the obvious because this person doesn't read very well.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:57 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
One of you guys left me a comment as reputation instead of sending a message, so just wanted to point out the cowardice of that.

And to the poster who isn't man enough to direct message me: get a freaking life.
The basketball sub forum doesn't have a specific mod that covers commentary, I do look in on different threads at times.

It only takes a mod about 20 seconds to look at someones rep list.

If two people want to insult each other, fine. Do it by direct message.

The mods take a dim view on insults through the rep system. It's also against the TOS of this message board.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:09 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
The basketball sub forum doesn't have a specific mod that covers commentary, I do look in on different threads at times.

It only takes a mod about 20 seconds to look at someones rep list.

If two people want to insult each other, fine. Do it by direct message.

The mods take a dim view on insults through the rep system. It's also against the TOS of this message board.
Thanks! I don't really mind insults, but prefer them directly!

Old 06-13-2016, 08:40 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,284,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
I think LeBron is trapped. If the Warriors don't have any injuries or lose anyone to free agency, I don't see many teams who can beat them. Meanwhile, there is no way LeBron can leave Cleveland again. He wouldn't be allowed in Ohio for the rest of his life.

Meanwhile, don't know if I agree with suspending Green. Feels like the NBA knows this is a terrible series and are trying to get away with giving the Cavaliers a better chance of extending the series. I don't see the suspension prolonging the confetti, though.
It's just like how things went down for the "Bulls vs. Cavs", "Bulls vs. Knicks" and "Bulls vs. Jazz". When you're up against a juggernaut that can seriously keep reloading good role players, it's a hard team to beat. Even the Bulls without Jordan for 1.5 seasons made it to the Eastern semis under Pippen and Kukoc. That was a good team all around, which made them practically impossible to beat.

I'm not a big Warriors fan, even though I enjoyed watching them play the Mavs in person back in March. What I am is an avid basketball fan and this team is onto something rather great. Much like the Lakers and the Spurs of the 2000-2010 era. Just teams that kept reloading with the right chemistry. If it wasn't for Kobe and Shaq not liking each other, there's a chance we could be saying Spurs who???

You're right Matthew Duck, Lebron is essentially trapped. Just like Karl Malone was in Utah. Look at the man's stat sheet and his size. The guy was like the Bo Jackson of basketball, a human specimen in the 90s. Problem was he and his team ran up against Michael Jordan and the Bulls and there was nothing that could be done. That team was good sans Jordan, but they were LETHAL with Jordan. Just absolutely unstoppable.

I see that same threat with the Warriors. To go down 1-3 in a series is tough to overcome when you have to win the next 3 games. During these 3 games OKC had the lead in all of them and looked to be WCF champions. When game 7 concluded and the Warriors were WCF champions, it was going to be a hard road for the Cavs. If the Warriors continue to reload, I'd say barring injury, Warriors could potentially win 4 of the next 6 championships, including the one they'll likely win this season. Just a dominate team with a lot of good players in their prime or close to their prime.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:49 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, I don't get what he's saying. Not sure he understands basketball that well.

Green allows Golden State to play small, which has obviously been a huge advantage for them going back to last post-season. Offensively, he stretches the floor with his shooting, he is often the primary ball handler, he is usually the screener in PnRs with Curry, and he's a damned good passer from the post. Defensively, he's able to guard guys like Love and Frye and then switch on to smalls like Irving, Shumpert, Smith and Lebron. He also brings a lot to the table in terms of rebounding, particularly in his ability to box guys out (which is not reflected in stat sheets).

The Warriors don't NEED Green to win Game 5 just like they didn't need any of their starters to dominate the opening game of the series. I think going small gives them a big leg up on the Cavs, but they can win against Cleveland playing more conventional lineups all the same. That's not to say Green isn't a valuable part of the team because he clearly is. It's simply that Kerr has a deep enough lineup to shift guys around in order to be "good enough" against this particular team.
Very well said, without Green I'm all in on the Cavs winning tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball