Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Resting NBA players help for the playoffs?
YES 13 68.42%
NO 2 10.53%
INJURIES HAPPEN NO MATTER WHAT 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 09:48 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Kevin McHale weighed in...

Kevin McHale Goes On Epic Rant Against NBA Players Resting For Playoffs

“This rest stuff just drives me crazy,” he added. “You’re playing basketball for a living, OK? I understand, if you work in a coal mine, that you may need a rest day. You’re playing basketball. The joy that comes with competing in basketball — it’s fun to play. I never got tired in a game. How can you get tired in a game? You’re playing basketball. I don’t understand this.
this from a guy who started about 40% of his games, only played 13 seasons, averaged 30 minutes or less 1/2 of his career.
i mean maybe his coaches should have rested him more, his career might have lasted longer? he was still very productive later in his career, looks like he was just worn out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 09:58 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,677 times
I'm no medical doctor. So I can't speak from the injury perspective. But it would seem that limiting minutes gradually over the course of the season is more effective than playing guys big minutes for 80% of the season and then giving them a few games off at the end of the season.

From the perspective of a fan, I don't like it. It is the NBA who decided to market star players over teams. They sell LeBron James, Steph Curry, and many others as league stars. There is a reason why, globally speaking, the only NBA teams people really follow are the Lakers, Celtics, and Knicks. Other than that people follow players. That's the way the NBA has promoted their game. Similarly, when OKC comes to your town you want to see KD and Westbrook. If they don't play then it is a waste of your money. Let's be honest. Few fans are paying to see Enes Canter or Dion Waiters.

Sitting players for entire games who could otherwise play is a rip off to the fans who pay their hard earned money to see games live.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:16 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
this from a guy who started about 40% of his games, only played 13 seasons, averaged 30 minutes or less 1/2 of his career.
i mean maybe his coaches should have rested him more, his career might have lasted longer? he was still very productive later in his career, looks like he was just worn out.
You know he was a sixth man for a good part of his career, right?

Career average is 31 minutes over 13 years. Eight seasons were 30+ minutes per game.

You don't give anyone a break when you don't like them, do you?

Old 04-29-2016, 11:30 AM

287 posts, read 237,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Last year:
Demare Carroll -
Kyle Korver-
Kevin Love-
Krye Irving-

This year:
Avery Bradley-
Stephen Curry-
Chris Paul-
Daren WIlliams-
Patrick Curry-
I will just speak to the logic of your argument. These cases could be exceptions to the rule and not the rule itself. Think of it this way, Duncan gets to sit out a game in February. Obviously, there is no way to tell if you saved him from an injury that night. You'll never know, but it could have. What if all the cases in which a player sat for rest other than the ones above did save them from an injury? They would far outnumber the cases you stated. Probable? Probably not but it's possible.

Not only that but when you are tired mentally, you tend to make more mistakes than when fresh. So even if the game where Duncan sat would NOT have saved him from injury that night, who's to say that the next night he wouldn't have gotten injured simply because he wasn't paying AS MUCH attention to where he landed as he would have with rest from the previous game.

A coach should ALWAYS value winning a championship over entertaining the fans (not that they both shouldn't have some priority just one has way more than the other), and to do that they have to grab every minuscule advantage they can find. If resting an aging star or any player for that matter gives my team a .001% greater chance at the ring, I would gladly watch the B squad for the night.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:08 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You know he was a sixth man for a good part of his career, right?

Career average is 31 minutes over 13 years. Eight seasons were 30+ minutes per game.

You don't give anyone a break when you don't like them, do you?
I don't give breaks period! Ha!

Old 04-29-2016, 03:28 PM

858 posts, read 707,754 times
I'm sure it helps somewhat especially in back to backs or 4 games in 5 days. Aside from injuries, I really like what the Spurs do in resting players in that it keeps the other players engaged. They know they might play 13 minutes one game but are going to start the next game because Tony Parker is resting. Spurs don't miss a beat when they get an injury or rest players. Sure some of it could be Pop's system but it's amazing that the Spurs could sit allstars and start diaw and patty mills and still beat playoff teams.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:04 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver8ack View Post
I will just speak to the logic of your argument. These cases could be exceptions to the rule and not the rule itself. Think of it this way, Duncan gets to sit out a game in February. Obviously, there is no way to tell if you saved him from an injury that night. You'll never know, but it could have. What if all the cases in which a player sat for rest other than the ones above did save them from an injury? They would far outnumber the cases you stated. Probable? Probably not but it's possible.

Not only that but when you are tired mentally, you tend to make more mistakes than when fresh. So even if the game where Duncan sat would NOT have saved him from injury that night, who's to say that the next night he wouldn't have gotten injured simply because he wasn't paying AS MUCH attention to where he landed as he would have with rest from the previous game.

A coach should ALWAYS value winning a championship over entertaining the fans (not that they both shouldn't have some priority just one has way more than the other), and to do that they have to grab every minuscule advantage they can find. If resting an aging star or any player for that matter gives my team a .001% greater chance at the ring, I would gladly watch the B squad for the night.
True, but its still not fair to the fans though. Im in ATL and when i see a Heat/Cavs/Warriors/Thunder game, the seats start at $50 just for upper level and the reason why is you are paying to see the stars of the other team. Thats why 76ers & Nets tickets are much cheaper. Evn the sorry Knicks tickets go for more because Carmelo is on the roster. If NBA tickets were a flat price for every game, I wouldnt care, but when im paying $100 for 2 people vs $25-30 and I get there to see the opposing teams bench play, it pisses me off. Hell, even if the superstars just played 20 minutes for the 1st half of the game, it might have semi justified the ticket price increase I paid instead of them not playing at all.

You can predict life, you can rest a play for 30 games, and the get hurt on the 1st play of the playoffs and the next guy who played all 82 games will go the whole playoffs without getting hurt. D Rose hurt his self in the final seconds of a game on his 1st major injury and no one would have seen that coming considering he should not have been on the floor at that point.

NBA players dont make $50,000 a year to play 82 games, they get $500,000 to $5/10/15/20 million a year.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:08 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
True, but its still not fair to the fans though. Im in ATL and when i see a Heat/Cavs/Warriors/Thunder game, the seats start at $50 just for upper level and the reason why is you are paying to see the stars of the other team. Thats why 76ers & Nets tickets are much cheaper. Evn the sorry Knicks tickets go for more because Carmelo is on the roster. If NBA tickets were a flat price for every game, I wouldnt care, but when im paying $100 for 2 people vs $25-30 and I get there to see the opposing teams bench play, it pisses me off. Hell, even if the superstars just played 20 minutes for the 1st half of the game, it might have semi justified the ticket price increase I paid instead of them not playing at all.

You can predict life, you can rest a play for 30 games, and the get hurt on the 1st play of the playoffs and the next guy who played all 82 games will go the whole playoffs without getting hurt. D Rose hurt his self in the final seconds of a game on his 1st major injury and no one would have seen that coming considering he should not have been on the floor at that point.

NBA players dont make $50,000 a year to play 82 games, they get $500,000 to $5/10/15/20 million a year.
Seems your beef is more with the ticket prices then players sitting. Teams have to do what is best for themselves. So if a player does not sit and gets injured that means you got to see that player but someone going to the next game will not see them.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:22 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Seems your beef is more with the ticket prices then players sitting. Teams have to do what is best for themselves. So if a player does not sit and gets injured that means you got to see that player but someone going to the next game will not see them.
My beef is both. If I pay to see the Warriors/Cavs/Thunder etc and pay and extra $50-100 for 2 people to go, Curry, Lebron or whatever main star needs to be playing if they are not hurt. They are paid MILLIONS to do this as a profession and injuries can happen at any time. Kinda like us saying will will stay home from work because if we get out on the roads, we could possibly get in a car accident, so its best to stay home and rest.

Look how many people have got hurt in the play offs so far and no amount of rest in the world could have avoided Curry slipping on a wet spot, Chris Paul breaking his hand on a random play, both centers for the Heat & Raptors getting hurt, and all the other random injuries. Its all part of the game and can happen on any given play regardless if they player has played every minute of the season of the 1st minute of the season.

Unless its games 78-82 with a playoff seed and position locked, or the player is pushing 40, or injured, they need to play. If no fans showed up to the arenas, these players would not be making as much as they do, so the teams owe it to atleast give the fans what they paid to see.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:30 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Weren't some people saying Curry looked a little tired before he got hurt? IMO - leave it up to the coaches - they know more than anyone if a player could benefit from rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball