Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 02:52 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
We thought the same of teams like the TWolves and Pelicans who had some good young talent but haven't put it together enough for a playoff berth. I still think Minny progresses before LA.
What's the point of a playoff berth when a team like the Warriors is at their peak? I say keep stacking/developing talent until the time is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 08:04 AM

78,413 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Closer than ever.

Magic aboard and Solid coach now.
Right. So let's talk cap space and UNRESTRICTED free agents or are you going to pony up that first rounder two year for now to add the guy because nobody is letting their talent walk for nothing.

Deng and Moz contracts just finished year 1 of 4. (Way over market value too so you can't just trade them out)

You just can't wave hands and say "all star free agent". Again, been hearing that one for YEARS now.

Show some sort of plan, name the player and the cap hit and what it would take to get them in trade or if they're a UFA and WHY they'd sign up with LA instead of a more contending squad etc.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:56 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Right. So let's talk cap space and UNRESTRICTED free agents or are you going to pony up that first rounder two year for now to add the guy because nobody is letting their talent walk for nothing.

Deng and Moz contracts just finished year 1 of 4. (Way over market value too so you can't just trade them out)

You just can't wave hands and say "all star free agent". Again, been hearing that one for YEARS now.

Show some sort of plan, name the player and the cap hit and what it would take to get them in trade or if they're a UFA and WHY they'd sign up with LA instead of a more contending squad etc.
Calderon off the books at 7.3M.

They can purge Brewer and Black combined 14M last year of deals next year.

And of course the cap is going up.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:40 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Magic said the other day they are waiting to spend any big $ until after next season.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:07 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
ok so since this has turned into a lakers cap space convo

Los Angeles Lakers Team Salary | Basketball Insiders | NBA Rumors And Basketball News

the 2017-18 lakers with everyone they have now (all options included) are looking at 83.3 mil on the books. cap will be 101 mil.
you can add 4.4 to that for the #2 pick that puts them at 87+ mil, leaving about 13-14 mil under the cap. they will get a "room exception" worth 4.3. you cant use the exception in addition to anything else so they can sign one middle of the road player, and one lower end guy with the cap space they have available.

this of course is if everyone opts in/is brought back, and no trade happen.
they really dont have any trade bait other than their #2 pick. with the exception of MAYBE Clarckson, nobody wants any of their higher paid players. (ie mozgov, deng)

2018-19 looks better, DEPENDING on what they do this year.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:49 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
I think that is more the time frame anyways. I mean that is the very earliest any of their young pieces will actually be ready to compete even just for a 7-8 seed.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:41 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
ok so since this has turned into a lakers cap space convo

Los Angeles Lakers Team Salary | Basketball Insiders | NBA Rumors And Basketball News

the 2017-18 lakers with everyone they have now (all options included) are looking at 83.3 mil on the books. cap will be 101 mil.
you can add 4.4 to that for the #2 pick that puts them at 87+ mil, leaving about 13-14 mil under the cap. they will get a "room exception" worth 4.3. you cant use the exception in addition to anything else so they can sign one middle of the road player, and one lower end guy with the cap space they have available.

this of course is if everyone opts in/is brought back, and no trade happen.
they really dont have any trade bait other than their #2 pick. with the exception of MAYBE Clarckson, nobody wants any of their higher paid players. (ie mozgov, deng)

It's the right approach for the Lakers to postpone long-term big contracts until next year. If I were running their show, I'd try to dump Mozgov for someone on a shorter (awful) contract, maybe pairing him with Nick Young to make the move a little easier. Deng's contract is dead-weight at this stage, but more livable than Mozgov. If they can clear out Mozgov by next offseason, they're in position to become a rising playoff contender in 18-19. They're about to have a glut of young perimeter players, and maybe Clarkson (and picks) should be bait for moving Mozgov and Deng.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:29 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Blah, this is why I hate the Lakers. Even when they suck people can't stop talking about them.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:43 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
PLEASE basketball gods, let Lonzo be there at #2 for the Lake show!

Old 05-24-2017, 01:15 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
My team's out of it so no expectations really. I agree Ball will go to LA (no team in the top 5 would pick him with that baggage otherwise). I'm interested in who the Sixers choose.

I think they will draft the Fox kid from Kentucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball