Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best peak athleticism?
Rose 1 7.69%
Wade 1 7.69%
Westbrook 11 84.62%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 08:55 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times

Advertisements

Which of these men was most athletic at his peak?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 10:00 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
I voted Westbrook without hesitation. Rose never had the strength of DW and mostly only applied his athleticism when scoring. Wade was a great all around athlete but was so technically sound, he almost didn't need to be that athletic (though he could use more now).

Russell Westbrook is Deion Sanders level athletic, above all peers.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:51 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
At 29, I think Westbrook may not even be at the peak of his athleticism. I believe he might not hit that until 31-32.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:45 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSs4UyWwYmY

Old 01-29-2018, 11:56 AM

Here are the elements of basketball athleticism identified in the video above.

1. Strength, stability and balance
2. Multidirectional agility/speed; moving quickly in all directions
3. Vertical explosiveness/quickness
4. Footwork/coordination

Old 01-29-2018, 12:19 PM

I'm of the opinion that Wade is (was) a better athlete than both by a healthy margin.

Strength, stability and balance - Wade has been a superior finisher to Westbrook throughout all points of his career (.657 vs .580). While we think of Westbrook as a slasher, Wade was even more of a slasher, attempting 35.2% of his shots over his career within 3 feet of the basket compared to 34.8% for Westbrook. I don't think it's fair to look at Rose's career stats since we know he went downhill after multiple injuries, but his best season (10-11) was still worse than Wade's career average. Wade is a bigger, stronger player than both Rose and Westbrook and was simply better at absorbing contact and finishing at the rim.

Multidirectional agility/speed; moving quickly in all directions - This is a tougher one. Rose and Westbrook have more of a herky jerky style of play whereas Wade tends to be much smoother. I think this category is basically a push since all 3 are (were) pretty good at starting/stopping on a dime and breaking ankles.

Vertical explosiveness/quickness - Again, this is tough. It's hard sometimes to wipe the old, broken down Cavs/Bulls/Lebron Heat era Wade from our minds, so we forget how explosive "Flash" was. If there's anywhere I'd give an edge to Westbrook, however, it's here.

Footwork/coordination - I'd say this goes to Wade rather easily.

Thoughts?

Old 01-29-2018, 09:01 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
There are many "better athletes" out there but basketball is mostly a skill game.

Meaning, how many playground legends or washed up pros are there out there with huge athleticism and the basketball IQ of a peanut?

I'm not giving westbrook sh8t, especially not after the faux triple double season that so many could have had.

Let's see him actually lead a team to something.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:05 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
The ability to stay healthy and running is also athleticism. This is why pro athletes spend so much time on physical training and in the weight room from an early age- to prevent injury. It's not natural born athleticism but developed athleticism.

Westbrook has averaged 74 regular season games per year, Wade just 65.

I also give Westbrook a big edge on maybe the most important and frequently used factor of athleticism: acceleration (quickness off the first step to 10-20 yards). This trait will allow an athlete to beat or contain his opponent time and time again in any sport.

Westbrook has that snap of acceleration beyond even vintage Wade. He is more likely to be out of control or pull up for a poor shot than the more BB-talented Wade.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:45 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
I think when most people talk about 'athleticism,' they have in mind quickness and leaping ability. It's really not a good term to use IMO since it is so vaguely defined. I also believe that it arose as a kind of PC euphemism so that announcers would not have to deal with the whole 'white men can't jump' thing.

Of the three, in prime form I'd say Rose was the quickest. His whole game was based on his superior quickness. He didn't have any other really great assets, as has been borne out by his lack of success following his knee issues.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I think when most people talk about 'athleticism,' they have in mind quickness and leaping ability. It's really not a good term to use IMO since it is so vaguely defined. I also believe that it arose as a kind of PC euphemism so that announcers would not have to deal with the whole 'white men can't jump' thing.
Acceleration and leaping are certainly part of it. But so is body control. Westbrook is faster down the court than Jordan ever was, and can probably jump as high, but he doesn't have the same body control, coordination and balance Jordan had. I don't think he even has the body control Iverson had, which may be one reason why AI was a better finisher around the basket at his peak.

By comparison, Westbrook is out of control far more often, and sometimes even clumsily leaps off the wrong foot when attacking the rim. I would say having the coordination and body control to make tough, acrobatic shots around the rim is definitely an athletic quality, and it's one that Russ lags on compared to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball