Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:44 PM

8,805 posts, read 10,252,600 times

Advertisements

In the world of sports there are teams you like and teams you dislike. Pretty much every team, college,high school,pro has at least one rival. Well in College Basketball it seems that you root against at least two schools, one being your rival and the other being Duke, and that got me wondering, Why does almost everyone hate Duke so much? Now I can understand UNC's dislike towards them, they've been rivals for years and years,. I can also see other schools like Maryland dislikng the Blue Devils. But I've met fans of schools such as Washington State, Wisconsin, LSU, and even smaller schools like Buffalo and Winthrop who say Duke is on their most hated list. Even ESPN has done a poll question like "What was your favorite part of this years Tournament?'' and one of the choices has been " So and so beating Duke" and that choice tends to be popular. As my Duke friend has quoted, "Being a Duke fan means your a target to everyone". So why do places like Illinois, Texas, etc all hate Duke so much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 02:49 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,760,693 times
Same reason as to why many hate the Yankees. They are both big dogs who win all the time.
Everyone loves the underdog and for good reason. It produces excitement and male drama.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:34 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,064,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
In the world of sports there are teams you like and teams you dislike. Pretty much every team, college,high school,pro has at least one rival. Well in College Basketball it seems that you root against at least two schools, one being your rival and the other being Duke, and that got me wondering, Why does almost everyone hate Duke so much? Now I can understand UNC's dislike towards them, they've been rivals for years and years,. I can also see other schools like Maryland dislikng the Blue Devils. But I've met fans of schools such as Washington State, Wisconsin, LSU, and even smaller schools like Buffalo and Winthrop who say Duke is on their most hated list. Even ESPN has done a poll question like "What was your favorite part of this years Tournament?'' and one of the choices has been " So and so beating Duke" and that choice tends to be popular. As my Duke friend has quoted, "Being a Duke fan means your a target to everyone". So why do places like Illinois, Texas, etc all hate Duke so much?

Well, I'm going to try to take off my Tar Heel hat and answer your question. I live in Indiana and almost everyone I know hates Duke, in some cases, more so than Carolina fans such as myself do. I think the reason is a mixture of things:

-Coach K! He's got to be the most easily hated coach out there, he's got a foul mouth and is constantly whining to the refs. He makes smuck comments all the time, he just comes across as a jerk BIG TIME to non-Duke fans. His quote about coaching Relationships, not just basketball is a classic "cheesy" Coach K line that makes most of us get sick!!

-Their coaching staff. Every assistant coach on Duke is an X annoying player who didn't make it in the NBA. They have this annoying, arrogance about them. Especially Wojo and Dawkins.

-Their players come across as a bunch of cry baby, arrogant jerks who wouldn't last a single day without mommy (wojo) and daddy (K) on their side. Lots of examples for this one, from this year's team, take a look at Paulus, Zobek, Scheyer, even Nelson. From year's past, Redick, Battier, McRoberts, Duhon, Hurley, laettner and so on and so on.

-They seem to get every call from the refs! If you watch any Duke game, about 85% of the time, they get all the 50/50 calls almost as bad as UCLA of recent weeks. This has been going on for a while going back to the infamous Laettner stump on the Kentucky player but yet he was still in the game at the end. If it was any other team, he would have gotten ejected.

-Christian laettner!! This is one big reason all by itself that's worth mentioning again. He clearly stumped on the Kentucky player in the 1992 championship game and didn't get ejected and now is the hero of that game. He has got to be the most hated "dookie" of all time. He is the poster child of Duke and why almost everyone hates them.

-Their fans!! Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm generalizing big time, I have many friends who are Duke fans that I love dearly but generally speaking, their fans come across very arrogant, childish and annoying. They can be 20-0 and lose 1 freaking game and you see them crying like they lost in the Final 4. Also the whole "Cameron Crazy" thing is very cheesy and annoying to non-Duke fans.

-This one is simple. They win, they win every year, every year they're deep in the tournament. They are the Yankees of College hoops

Now with my Tar Heel hat back on, I hate them even more now since the Gerald Henderson incident last year. He clearly, intentionally elbowed Hansborough in the nose and broke his nose but yet was not suspended and their apology was a pile of poo poo. Coach K clearly showed his lack of class. I did not buy that lowsy so called "apology" which you sent me the link to. He's a sorry man. And to make things even worse, their fans to this day do not fess up to it. They claim that was not a dirty play which absolutely amazes me. I'm glad we own the ACC again! Go 'Heels!!

There are many many more reasons, but I don't want to write a book, these are the biggest ones I think. Maybe others can chime in and add more.

I hope no one takes this personally, I'm being general. Cheers!

Old 03-17-2008, 05:09 PM

8,805 posts, read 10,252,600 times
Smile thanks

The main reason I asked this question is because everytime I ask this to a duke hater all i get is "they suck" and all those lazy replies that dont give a good reason. Now if anyone else would like to respond feel free to do so. By the way, totally forgot about Christian Laetneer.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 07-02-2008 at 12:31 PM..

Old 03-17-2008, 07:37 PM

715 posts, read 1,670,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post

-This one is simple. They win, they win every year, every year they're deep in the tournament. They are the Yankees of College hoops
And as of late, like the Yankees, they get bounced in the post-season even when they are the prohibitive favorite. For a team that has been to the final four 12 or 13 times recently, only 3 championships is kinda crappy.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:55 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,920,863 times
Ya don't have to be the team that wins all the time to be hated. Alot of people hate the Oakland Raiders, but it's not because they allways win (we know that's not true....). Instead, many people hate them because of their image. Same thing with the Miami Hurricaines football team. And the Red Sox are becoming very hated, but it's mainly because they (and the Yankees) are talked about through out the media as if they're the only teams in the MLB. And the Patriots are now one of the most hated teams in America, but only half of that is because they are currently winning championships at every turn. And if you watch ESPN and the news enough, I don't have to tell you the other reason why they are hated so much.

Look at the Packers. They have won the most NFL championships, but who, besides other midwest football fans outside Wisconson, hates the Packers? And the Chicago Bulls in the 90's, when they we're three-peating championships two times with Jordan? Who hates the Bulls?

Old 03-18-2008, 06:51 AM

528 posts, read 2,482,312 times
we're Kentucky fans....need we say more?

Old 03-18-2008, 07:39 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,064,216 times
Nope, sorry, no Kentucky fan here. Go 'Heels!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:32 AM

793 posts, read 3,123,231 times
I know alot of UConn fans who wear anti-Duke attire, which is kind of odd because UConn has bigger fish to fry and the teams never play one another unless they meet in the NCAA's. UConn has more than avenged Laettner in 99 (as has Kentucky), in fact ousting Duke in the title game and in miraculous fashion in a semi on their way to beating Georgia Tech. I don't really hate Duke as much as other programs, but I have some disdain for the facts surrounding the media suck-ups, especially Vitale. Also, while in some facets I actually like Coach K, he does whine way too much about seedings and region placement, as though its the committee's prioirty to give Duke precedent over all other schools. I remember his griping about Duke having to play in Lexington the first two rounds when they weren't even going to be playing Kentucky, nor any school from the vicinity! The committee is suppose to seed 65 schools and four regions and concern itself with the fact that Kentucky fans hate Duke???
Overall, I don't like Duke but some of the vitriol is silly and instead of ignoring Duke, the haters are partially guilty of only igniting the fire that represents the Duke propoganda machine.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:27 AM

604 posts, read 1,186,807 times
Default why dook sux

1. Coach K has no class. In the press conference after the Henderson incident he never once said anything along the lines of "Gee....I'm just sorry that happened. I hope Tyler's okay". Instead, he projected blame onto UNC and Roy for playing Tyler at that point in the game. Well first of all, Tyler's sub was waiting at the scorer's table, and second of all, if it's that big of a deal, why were YOU running your starters?? And furthermore, why were your starters commiting such absurd and reckless fouls? He was so busy defending his b.s. that he neglected any sense of basic courtesy or any concern. He NEVER once said that he hoped Tyler was okay, or that it happened, or anything of class.

For instance, when Wayne got T'd up at the VA Tech game, the first thing Roy did was apologize for that happening.

When Dook took that L to Maryland maybe, the rat said at the press conference that someone was playing through a knee injury, but he didn't publicize his injuries like other schools. HE JUST DID. Direct hit at UNC. So I guess he only mentions an injury after they lose.

2. The fans -- When I encounter a dookie, I say "Oh cool. Duke's a great school with an awesome basketball team". Then I follow-up with these questions, and somehow the absurdity becomes evident....
* So did you go to school there? If the answer is yes, I understand, A LITTLE. But usually it's NO. So.....
* Oh, do you work there? Usually no again.
* Oh, so do you live or work in Durham? Pretty much no.
* Know someone who goes/works at Dook? No
* Like hanging out in dookie bars? No
* Enjoy the company of dook students? No
* Well maybe you know about the team then....like their starting lineup or when they last won the NCAA?? NO
* Did you just move here??? A lot of times, YES.
Most of them don't know anything about the team and have no affiliation with the university or anyone who does.

3. The students -- Just plain rude. I've got plenty of examples.

4. Destruction of the game -- There's no need for a big man on dook's team. Forget about a center.....don't need 'em. They run 4 guards and a forward.

5. Basic lack of class. All around. Here's a more in depth explanation, the anti-dook manifesto: Truth About Duke - Anti-Duke Manifesto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball