Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 08:24 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,614,870 times

Advertisements

Jerry West said that LeBron was not a tough free agent signing because Lebron wanted to go to Los Angeles. Well as much respect that I have for the logo, I have to somewhat disagree with him.

Sure he was as it turns out an easy signing, but Magic and Rob Pelinka had to create the culture in the first place to attract free agents, so in that regard, that is where the work was done.

If Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak were still in place, there is no way LeBron is a Laker today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 10:28 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Jerry West said that LeBron was not a tough free agent signing because Lebron wanted to go to Los Angeles. Well as much respect that I have for the logo, I have to somewhat disagree with him.

Sure he was as it turns out an easy signing, but Magic and Rob Pelinka had to create the culture in the first place to attract free agents, so in that regard, that is where the work was done.

If Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak were still in place, there is no way LeBron is a Laker today.
Magic & Pelinka haven't had a chance to create anything yet. This is their second offseason. In their first, they just made their picks and tampered with free agents they missed on. They did manage a midseason trade that essentially sent out two young, unproven players for a late 1st.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Magic & Pelinka haven't had a chance to create anything yet. This is their second offseason. In their first, they just made their picks and tampered with free agents they missed on. They did manage a midseason trade that essentially sent out two young, unproven players for a late 1st.
You are blind to what is going on in Laker Nation if you think they didn't create anything yet. There is so much momentum in Laker land, it is almost like they are getting the same amount of attention as if they were Championship contenders!! And we all know, that is not until next season!!

The NBA doesn't schedule any team to play on Christmas Day unless they are a marquee team. Well guess what?? The Lakers are now a marquee team thanks to what Magic and Rob Pelinka CREATED!!.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:19 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Oh please...West was correct. He was either going to the Lakers or Clippers for personal reasons. The Lakers just have a lot more cache than Clippers as far as marketing himself in LA. And the Lakers get the Christmas game every year no matter how trash they are because of their market...just like the Knicks.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:22 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,048 times
IMO he chose to go where he could best market himself better, once his playing days are over

Old 08-09-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Oh please...West was correct. He was either going to the Lakers or Clippers for personal reasons. The Lakers just have a lot more cache than Clippers as far as marketing himself in LA. And the Lakers get the Christmas game every year no matter how trash they are because of their market...just like the Knicks.
"Oh please" You!!! He was never going to the Clippers!! The Clippers didn't even have the cap space necessary to sign him so how do you say that with any credibility!!

That is what Magic and Pelinka did, they CREATED the cap space to sign him by making a great trade in giving up two players to Cleveland of all people and still getting a number one pick from the Cavs. It was a win win for the Lakers.

They got a first round pick, plus freed up cap space to sign two Max contracts, which we will use the second one next off season. Magic and Pelinka are working their butts off to get the Lakers back into championship contention. Just not this year, perhaps next year.

How many Nationally televised games did they have last year compare to this year?????

Last edited by Just One of the Guys; 08-09-2018 at 01:40 PM..

Old 08-09-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
IMO he chose to go where he could best market himself better, once his playing days are over

I agree, but not only that, his family wanted to live in LA. The Lakers had to get themselves into position to sign him, and that is exactly what Magic and Pelinka did. And the Clippers didn't.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:50 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:

That's an extremely low bar to set using Jim Buss.

I agree it wasn't JERRY BUSS level type stuff but hey, let's give Magic at least some credit on this one given they've been a lottery team for a while.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's an extremely low bar to set using Jim Buss.

I agree it wasn't JERRY BUSS level type stuff but hey, let's give Magic at least some credit on this one given they've been a lottery team for a while.
I totally agree with you, but that unfortunately was the bar. And that is why the Lakers were so bad for so long. The late great Dr. Jerry Buss was right on a lot of his decisions, but him thinking Jim Buss was ready for the Lakers Head of Basketball Operations was not one of them.

Most of the hard work Magic and Rob have had to do with the Lakers is getting out of the mess that was left by the previous regime.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:50 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
I totally agree with you, but that unfortunately was the bar. And that is why the Lakers were so bad for so long. The late great Dr. Jerry Buss was right on a lot of his decisions, but him thinking Jim Buss was ready for the Lakers Head of Basketball Operations was not one of them.

Most of the hard work Magic and Rob have had to do with the Lakers is getting out of the mess that was left by the previous regime.
I've been realistic about the Lakers for a long time on this forum.

That earned me the frequent label of "Laker Hater"....for basically being right.

I think the Lakers have clearly turned the corner at this point.

However.

The west is packed, it's going to take quite some time for them to develop for those talking wildly about making the finals or even the WCF at this point.

But that's not the story. Barring injury they should make the playoffs and be a respectable team this year.

I think that's a remarkable accomplishment and hats off to the Laker management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball