U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: 97-98 vs 17-18?
97-98 6 100.00%
17-18 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2018, 01:55 PM
 
51,887 posts, read 41,774,553 times
Reputation: 32369

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Some of these people must just be too young to realize how good Malone was. He was on NBA first teams for what 10+ years in the late 80s to 90s.
Yeah, 2 time MVP, 2nd all-time scorer NBA and was all-nba for 14 straight years including 11 years in a row 1st team all-nba.

Starting PF on most peoples GOAT team is usually him or Tim Duncan.

My starting SF GOAT team is Lebron, so def. not knocking him but yeah....a lot of people don't know Malone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2018, 02:04 PM
 
11,679 posts, read 7,041,880 times
Reputation: 6387
The one thing I remember most about Malone is how muscular and ripped he was even in his mid-late 30s. Kinda makes me wonder if he was on some HGH/roids...he wasn’t quite as big with such low body fat in the 80s/early 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2018, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,252 posts, read 26,226,229 times
Reputation: 11706
Another thing about Karl Malone is that he played a full season nearly every year of his career. A short season by Malone's standards was 80 games.

Malone was a punishing player in the post. These guys today can barely play a full season so there's no way they could take that constant pounding from Malone down low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2018, 02:11 PM
 
11,679 posts, read 7,041,880 times
Reputation: 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Another thing about Karl Malone is that he played a full season nearly every year of his career. A short season by Malone's standards was 80 games.

Malone was a punishing player in the post. These guys today can barely play a full season so there's no way they could take that constant pounding from Malone down low.
And let’s not forget DIRTY. If allowed to play as they did at their best, a few players are getting face full of the Mailman’s elbow. That alone can totally change a game by taking people out of their comfort zone when entering the lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2018, 02:33 PM
 
7,698 posts, read 4,554,568 times
Reputation: 8386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Lebron\Malone is just a bad match up both directions.

Yes, the idea that Lebron is going to be able to effectively stop Malone in the post is a joke.

Malone put up HUGE numbers even with Rodman on him and getting doubled....and Rodman didn't even have to carry any offensive load at the other end.

Regardless, this is a less lopsided match-up than the others.
No one ever stopped Malone, but Lebron is stronger and more athletic than the typical 90's PF. Guys we thing of as bruisers, like Charles Oakley were like 6'8, 240. To say LeBron would hold him at or slightly below his career averages isn't much of a stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Some of these people must just be too young to realize how good Malone was. He was on NBA first teams for what 10+ years in the late 80s to 90s.
I remember Malone quite well. As strong as he was, his mid-range game is what made him truly elite. He was the best mid-range shooting big of his era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2018, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,252 posts, read 26,226,229 times
Reputation: 11706
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
No one ever stopped Malone, but Lebron is stronger and more athletic than the typical 90's PF. Guys we thing of as bruisers, like Charles Oakley were like 6'8, 240. To say LeBron would hold him at or slightly below his career averages isn't much of a stretch.
Lebron is stronger than...

Shawn Kemp
Charles Barkley
Dale Davis
Anthony Mason
Horace Grant

??

Lebron is strong for a small forward, but there's no way he's consistently banging against power forwards in the 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2018, 04:28 PM
 
7,698 posts, read 4,554,568 times
Reputation: 8386
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Lebron is stronger than...

Shawn Kemp
Charles Barkley
Dale Davis
Anthony Mason
Horace Grant

??

Lebron is strong for a small forward, but there's no way he's consistently banging against power forwards in the 90s.
LeBron outweighs most of those guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top