Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: whom you got? Lakers or Clippers?
Clippers win more in the regular season, but stumble in the playoffs. 1 6.67%
Lakers win more in reg. season, but stumble in the playoffs. 0 0%
Both teams stumble in the playoffs. 2 13.33%
Clippers win the western conference finals. 8 53.33%
Lakers win the western conference finals. 2 13.33%
other (please specify below). 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 12:37 PM

560 posts, read 581,542 times

Advertisements

I'll put my for vote on reserve for the time being, just too many moving parts. A good sample of 20 regular season games will give us a better idea of what these teams will look like and how chemistry is progressing, etc. Also the west is stacked. As far as the Lakers, if they were to get the Cousins of a couple of years ago, then I would say the Lakers would have an edge. I saw him play last year in the regular season and at times showed flashes of what he used to be. He needs to stay healthy and contribute solid play for the Lakers to increase their chances of winning an nba title. Also I've heard this could be his final audition to land the huge contract. Of course the Lakers have other players that can emerge and play big roles. A lot of this will come to light once there's a good sample of games played.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 06:00 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
That is your semblance of continuity?? Not enough to make a difference. What is LeBron and Kyle Kuzma? Is that too a "semblance of continuity?" They are both starting from scratch IMO and I like the players they Lakers acquired since Kawhi's announcement. They put together a much better team than I would've thought they could.
AFAIK the Lakers only have 1 player on the roster now who was there prior to the 2018-19 season--Kyle Kuzma. Maybe Alex Caruso, too. And remember, Lebron only played about 3/4ths season w/ Kuzma, and no playoffs experience to build on. Also a new coach, and new GM for that matter. That is close to zero continuity.

A team to keep an eye on is Denver. They have arguably better continuity than any other contender in the NBA. And don't forget they still have Michael Porter Jr., who is expected to be ready for the season opener.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:18 AM

669 posts, read 321,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I’m still saying the Warriors, since they still have Curry, Klay (back by spring), Draymond, Looney and added Russell and a marginally improved bench. And I’m a fan. But if they lose to anyone in the playoffs, it will be the LAC. Clippers gave them a hard fight in the first round this year, and added two of the best two-way players in the game. The Lakers came off one of their worst seasons ever, front office is a mess, and that doesn’t get completely righted overnight no matter who is signed in the off-season.
I do think the Warriors are being way too discounted here, though I still think Iggy in the playoffs is a big loss for them. Oddily, I find myself rooting for them a bit again, much like I did in 2015 because they are the underdogs again without that Super Super team. Despite their 'jerk' owners.

I'm Torontonian, and of course cheered the Raptors on. And was very impressed with Kawhi's ability to change the tone of the team in terms of leading by example, not getting too hot, emotional, dramatic. He is the definition of letting his game speak.

At the same time, I get he was probably annoyed with having to carry such the burden against Philly and Game 3 against the Bucks not knowing who was consistently going to step up. But the Raps mentally was able to come around and after turning on that switch, and really physically carried Kawhi from Game 4 Bucks onward (although he still hit the big big confident leading shots when it mattered.. i.e. less is more) which I think he wasn't as grateful/acknowledging as he could have been. I noticed this big time in his interviews right after they won. Also, the guy sat out 20 games still being on a team with the 2nd best record in the league.

Given the Raptors cohesion system that developed, even in the Finals Game 3 when he was able to counter Curry's great performance, Kawhi didn't need to extend the same level of physicalness because of the 14 Spurs like ball movement. This could have been continued for the coming 19-20 season IMO with great result. So for Kawhi orchestrating a type of short-cut thinking in that 1 MVP type player in PG will overcome the system that was established by the Raps post Bucks Game 3, + his view on the Raps as pre-game 3 bucks, makes me believe he is severely overestimating the benefit of Paul George and fitting right in with the Clips the way he did with the Raps. If Houston plays like expected, or Utah is as good as they say, I think the Clips will be in for a rough time.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blistex649 View Post
I do think the Warriors are being way too discounted here, though I still think Iggy in the playoffs is a big loss for them. Oddily, I find myself rooting for them a bit again, much like I did in 2015 because they are the underdogs again without that Super Super team. Despite their 'jerk' owners.
GSW also let go Livingston. It's going to be tough to replace those two by playoff time, especially Iguodala. And I think Quin Cook is gone. Not as big of a deal, but he did average 22 and 14 minutes the past 2 years, and shot well from deep.

Quote:
And was very impressed with Kawhi's ability to change the tone of the team in terms of leading by example, not getting too hot, emotional, dramatic. He is the definition of letting his game speak.
Great point, my guess is that there is a lot of Bill Russell in Kawhi: quiet leadership by example. Russell won 11 titles in 13 NBA seasons. Guys like that are rare in the NBA. Tim Duncan was one.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:10 PM

29,516 posts, read 22,653,459 times
LBJ is#10 on the all time assists list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS75bvkAc1c&t=78s

Old 07-16-2019, 04:15 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
And I dont give a damn if the Clips have the best record in the NBA, "best season" is defined by who goes further in the playoffs. If they happen to face the Lakers in the playoffs:
I define "best season" by who wins the finals... who goes further in the playoffs makes no difference unless you win it all.
The clippers have the right tools to get it done as this point, but it's silly to count any team that has Lebron out honestly, this guy remains to be like no one we have seen before. I am liking the Pelicans Duke heavy team to make a lot of noise in the upcoming season, but the same logic holds true...unless you win the finals..the "noise" they makes matters very little.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
LBJ is#10 on the all time assists list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS75bvkAc1c&t=78s
The guy in the video makes some good points but note that he cites Danny Green and Quinn Cook as recipients of Lebron's kick out passes. But how much will they be on the floor? Green averages about 25 mins. and Cook under 20. Aside from them there is no one.

Cleveland was very under-rated in 3 pt. shooting. During the LeBron run, they were always close to the top in team 3pt%. LBJ is going to miss that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball