Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was would you take in their prime?
Magic 15 62.50%
Lebron 10 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 09:09 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,547,112 times

Advertisements

The title of the thread asks the question: In their prime, who would you rather have on your favorite team> Lebron James or Magic Johnson?

This not a bask Lebron thread. I like him a lot. He's great to watch to play especially when he is on. But I woud take Magic on my team before picking Lebron. Magic made the people around him better. He was great at getting others the ball. Lebron can be great at the same thing, but I just feel that Magic was better. Plus, he added flair to his game.

Out of the two, who do you have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 03:23 PM

30,203 posts, read 11,854,790 times
I think Lebron has a more complete game. The one thing Magic has on Lebron is his passing skills. And Lebron is a great passer in his own right. Everything else. Defense, rebounding, shooting, block shots. I would give that to Lebron. As far as team leaders they are both very good. But overall Lebron.

Old 04-12-2022, 03:42 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,306,942 times
Lebron hands down. I just look back at the 2015 season and Lebron in the finals even though the Cavs lost. He carried that team on his back in both the playoffs and finals.

Old 04-12-2022, 07:23 PM

7,036 posts, read 11,342,333 times
I take Magic because it would be more fun to watch him play for my team, which is the question. Showtime!

Not arguing he is better than James, but a much more enjoyable player to watch and a more likeable person, IMO. So, for my team, I want Magic Johnson.

Old 04-12-2022, 11:25 PM

389 posts, read 402,035 times
They’re both great, but they represent the NBA differently. Lebron represents the kid who has amazing skills, left high school and didn’t play college ball, and living the dream.
Magic wore the purple and yellow first, and was really the face of the franchise for many years. Him in Laker uniform was more IMPACTFUL overall. I mean, Magic is an OG of basketball. He really is one of the key reasons for the Los Angeles basketball championships, with the help of Kareem of course. Lebron did not make the Lakers what they are today. If Magic Johnson ended his career in Cleveland I wonder if it would be as significant as Lebron with the Lakers.

To answer your question, however, in terms of their prime? I would go with Magic on my team. They are both the same height. I feel like Magic has a better IQ of basketball and court awareness. They are both definitely deserving of going to the NBA Hall of Fame.

Old 04-13-2022, 07:48 AM

78,552 posts, read 60,762,573 times
In terms of developing the NBA, Magic was huge and Lebron has been less popular.

But for on-court play Lebron has the edge, predominantly on the basis of all-defensive team selections (5 x 1st team).

If you want to talk lakers in their true prime...it get's *really* interesting as you have Shaq, Kobe, Kareem and more to consider.

Personally, I'd go with Kareem.

Old 04-13-2022, 09:28 AM

14,706 posts, read 14,680,193 times
It's tough to compare because Magic never played for anyone but the Showtime Lakers. I voted Lebron because it's impossible to ignore the immediate impact he had on any team he joined. Look how many years he carried Cleveland to the Finals and made the East a one-team conference.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:13 AM

3,848 posts, read 4,452,656 times
Of course opinions are subjective so there is no right answer My personal opinion is that it has to be Lebron easy. He beats Magic in just about every category except passing, and he was great in that too.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:15 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,145,511 times
I voted for Magic because he could make any player better. LeBron is harder to build around, lots of good players have not played well with LeBron. But is LeBron greater overall? I think so.

But choosing the best NBA players in history is so hard. For instance, Jordan edges out Kobe Bryant but they were similar players. Meanwhile, Magic Johnson was much better than Kobe in several ways, especially as a leader. So was Magic better than Jordan in his prime? Who knows.

It comes down to favorites. I tend to not honor championships as much as others do. No way Bill Russell was better than Shaq, Hakeem, and Kareem, doesn't even pass the eye test. Russell was about as good as Ben Wallace.

Old 04-13-2022, 05:41 PM

3,848 posts, read 4,452,656 times
I would say Magic in today's era, the closest player that approximates him would probably be Jason Kidd. A big guard that is pass first, ran those fast breaking offenses in Phoenix and New Jersey. Obviously not a perfect comparison as Magic was a better scorer, but Kidd was a much better defender. So would a 20 per cent better Jason Kidd be considered greater than Lebron? I would say no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball