Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 01:08 PM

595 posts, read 1,173,985 times

Advertisements

I just purchased a 2010 GMC pick up truck and after I bought it and drove it on the Hwy I realized it had a GOVERNOR on it to restrict the top speed to 102 MPH. I was furious because when i asked the salesperson before the sale if it had this on there She responded that She had never heard of that but She would check on it .When she returned She started off a different subject and when I brought up the subject She said it was not Mechanically governed which is not true.I would like to hear from anyone that has bought a new truck beginning in 1998-2000 to the present.I was told this AM buy the dealer that this has been done since 98-2000'.It is controlled by the computer and if tampered with voids all warranties.
Why drive that fast You may ask.I don't know for sure but at one time in the US we had roads in NEW MEXICO,ARIZONA,MONTANA,TEXAS THAT HAD AN 85 MPH speed limit.If you go to pass someone at that speed and they decide to be a jerk and speed up and you have a car behind You and one coming at you and you punch it and if You get to 102 your auto stops accelerating and You are hung out there with a 250-300 hp truck that won't do the job.And before You jump my case for driving that fast at that time the roads were posted 85mph because they are in the middle of nowhere .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 02:51 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,689,943 times
Well if the limit is 85 then why are you passing folks?

Old 07-12-2010, 08:25 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,355,894 times
Who the hell would drive 102 mph , in a brand new vehicle ? Gonna be hard to get much sympathy here .

Old 07-12-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Who the hell would drive 102 mph , in a brand new vehicle ? Gonna be hard to get much sympathy here .
ME!

I am not looking for sympathy I was looking for info on when trucks started being governed for top speed.I have always driven My auto to the max at least once so I know what I can do are not do.I used to race Motorcycles and to this day I own a Harley Davidson and I ride it up to 125-130 MPH .I drove the new truck to the max. speed for about 10-15 seconds.I presume You have never driven that fast are just not in a new truck.I am just tired of the government regulating My life .I do not drive fast on a normal day I actually drive rather slow and when I run that fast in My truck I would be in process of passing in a place where 85 mph is posted speed.The bike on the other hand will go 0-130 in less than 1 mile and I don't ride far at that speed but I do enjoy the rush.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Well if the limit is 85 then why are you passing folks?
To get around them,have You ever passed a car on the interstate that was in front of You and doing the speed limit?

Old 07-12-2010, 10:14 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,489,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbbertusa View Post
To get around them,have You ever passed a car on the interstate that was in front of You and doing the speed limit?
So this is why my auto insurance is $2,880 a year.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
So this is why my auto insurance is $2,880 a year.
I don't think so,I have a clean driving record ,so how does that effect your rates?You must have some other issues causing Your rates to be that high.Also what does this have to do with My original statement?Not a D.. thing.If You want to whine I'll send You some cheese. How about we stay on the subject.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:13 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,489,854 times
Quote:
I don't think so,I have a clean driving record ,so how does that effect your rates?You must have some other issues causing Your rates to be that high.Also what does this have to do with My original statement?Not a D.. thing.If You want to whine I'll send You some cheese. How about we stay on the subject.
No you see, that's with a clean driving record and it was sarcasm.
Point is that 102+ mph is reckless.. and reckless driving is part of the reason LA has the highest premiums in the nation next to corruption. Now, if you're racing it's cool, but on the freeway???

Now how about that cheese. I could use a block of creole cream cheese. I don't feel like going to Winn-Dixie.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:16 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,535,499 times
It's a free country and a free person should be able to drive as fast as he damn well pleases, so long as he's willing to take the consequences without whining.

Vehicles have been electronically speed governed for many years now.

I don't like it either.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:33 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,689,943 times
Quote:
If the speed limit is 85 then technically you are not to exceed that limit, even to pass a slow poke going 80. A cop can stop you for speeding if you go 102 to get around a car going 80 in an 85mph zone and he would have perfectly valid reason. I think 85mph is a very very generous speed limit for ANY highway.

If it's on the interstate you're talking about, then there is no risk of you not being able to get around the other car fast enough. On-coming traffic will be on the other side of the median. No need for 102.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge