Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 06:12 PM

11 posts, read 20,527 times

Advertisements

Hi there! My husband may take a job in Clinton - he works for a large oil and gas company and they are placing a field office there. I teach elementary school and we have two junior high children. I know the schools in Clinton are not great so I was looking at Zachary. It should be an easy commute for hubby. I know very little about the area - does anyone have advice on any other areas with great schools that might be an easy commute?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 07:44 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,687 times
City of Central . Send me a direct message if you have any questions . I can recommend a Realtor in Central as well .

Old 06-29-2012, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 4,201 times
Zachary has been the top school district in the state for the last 7 years. My oldest goes to Zachary High and I love the school. We recently moved here from Ohio (my husband's job - in oil industry as well) and I was amazed at the structure, education level offered here. Not to say anything bad about Louisiana but overall the education system in Ohio is very good in the area where we are from in Ohio. I love living in Zachary and wouldn't change it all. The great thing about living in Zachary is that we don't deal with much traffic going to work (if you work in the city of BR) or coming home because the traffic is always going the opposite direction. I would say home wise, you get more bang for your buck in Central than Zachary, however the school district to me is worth paying more money per square foot for a house. Keep in mind if your husband's job is offering relocation package, you want the temporary housing to be in the city of Zachary, because if you don't live in city limits even if you plan to move here (for example if you have to wait to close on home) they will not allow you to register your kids for school. Most cities will allow you to register with a purchase agreement, but they will not in Zachary because they have many individuals trying to "sneak" into the school for the education. Recently the state of Louisiana passed a law that kids who go to schools with a grade of C, D or F can register their kids in other schools who are doing much better if approved by the district the child moves to, or a private school. The city of Zachary has said no they will not allow outside children to come to school in the area, so that is something to keep in mind as well. Are you going to look to teach when you move?

Old 06-30-2012, 12:23 PM

11 posts, read 20,527 times
Thanks to the both of you for your help! I am familiar with Zachary Schools - we live in northwestern Louisiana. I had never heard of Central, though. I would love for my kids to attend a school system like it. They are at a great magnet school now but our high school isn't good at all. It's nice to hear someone out of state to say something nice about our schools....hehe...

Yes, I will teach, as well.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:03 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,353 times
Zachary. No question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge