Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 08:31 AM
Caa Caa started this thread

940 posts, read 2,488,905 times

Advertisements

My husband and I and our 6 year old live in south Baton Rouge. My dental hygeinest told me she lives in Central and loves it. I have never been there, does anyone know what it is like? People,schools(public) housing prices, healthcare-vet tech jobs, crime and demographics. Also, is there a little downtown type area? We are considering moving to another area where the houses are not as expensive and the schools are good(public). Our daughter atttends a private school in BR and it is killing us! Thanks for any and all input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 11:58 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
My husband and I and our 6 year old live in south Baton Rouge. My dental hygeinest told me she lives in Central and loves it. I have never been there, does anyone know what it is like? People,schools(public) housing prices, healthcare-vet tech jobs, crime and demographics. Also, is there a little downtown type area? We are considering moving to another area where the houses are not as expensive and the schools are good(public). Our daughter atttends a private school in BR and it is killing us! Thanks for any and all input!
It's an all white semi rural part of the parish between the Comite and the Amite. It's good from the standpoint of having the rural settings and/or a place to live with a lot of land, but there is not much retail out there, and getting to most of the rest of BR is a challenge, until they open up the Central Thruway in a couple of years.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:15 PM

378 posts, read 1,206,625 times
I have several relatives who live in the area and they LOVE it. But mainly for the schools and the family environment. There is no "downtown" area of Central. It was a BR suburb until last year, and really you can't tell that it is a seperate town. But it is a good area for a family. I have to take exception to the previous posters comment about it being all white. Central is a somewhat mixed area, the schools will be 20 to 30 percent black, and they have decent academic achievement unlike many public schools in BR. Almost all neighborhoods are safe with younger families. Getting to and from BR to go to work will be an issue that you will want to take into consideration, because the traffic will be heavy.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbean View Post
I have to take exception to the previous posters comment about it being all white. Central is a somewhat mixed area, the schools will be 20 to 30 percent black
Wanted to clarify - if you look at the area that is part of the Central School District, the racial breakdown of those voting precincts is 90% white and 8% black, according to voter demographic information compiled by the Secretary of State

Old 01-25-2009, 03:16 PM

How are the schools in general? WE took a drive to Central and thought it was very nice, especially some of the newer neighborhoods. There were mostly white people today at the Wal-Mart and 2 blacks. I have no idea of the racial make up, but seems more Caucasian than black. Anyway, it took us about 10 minutes to get to the Cortana Mall. I realize traffic will be bad, but just kida looking around for now. Also, is there a good website regarding schools in Central?

Old 01-25-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
How are the schools in general? WE took a drive to Central and thought it was very nice, especially some of the newer neighborhoods. There were mostly white people today at the Wal-Mart and 2 blacks. I have no idea of the racial make up, but seems more Caucasian than black. Anyway, it took us about 10 minutes to get to the Cortana Mall. I realize traffic will be bad, but just kida looking around for now. Also, is there a good website regarding schools in Central?
The schools have a good reputation, since for years, parents in Central resented having their kids bused to other schools in EBR Parish. So they're happy to have a system which is locally controlled. Another interesting thing is that Central's government is privitized - be interesting to see how efficiently it can run and/or responsive it is to its taxpayers.

Anyway, here is the site for the Central schools.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:42 PM

97 posts, read 285,420 times
I think the Central area is nice. I know several people that live in the Watson area that will drive to the Central Wal-Mart to shop because it is closer for them and they like it. I enjoy shopping at Lancaster's on the weekends it is open.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:11 PM

Thanks for the information. it is just so confusing having to decide what to do. WE have a home in a very desireable neighborhood off Airline-may sell ok!-willsee!

Old 01-26-2009, 07:10 AM

794 posts, read 3,357,062 times
If I had kids to think about, then I might consider Central.
But what about schools in Zachary and Denham? Do they not rank even higher than Central's district?

Old 01-27-2009, 03:37 PM

I have no idea about that, but I have a friend who lives in Zachary and really is not happy with the type of people that live there-kinda lower income I guess. I have never been to Zachary, but will try going there to check it all out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge