Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:03 PM

21 posts, read 103,129 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are currently looking to purchase a manufactured home in Redmond. It's a few years old but it's one of the newer ones that look and feel more like an actual home rather than a doublewide mobile home. It' has a good size lot (about 1/4 acre) and it's mostly landscaped with sprinklers. Although the asking price is $155K, we both think it's relatively cheap considering we are moving from southern California where $155K won't even buy you a shanty in the desert, let alone a home with land.

I am concerned with the current state of the real estate market though. I know that in some markets the prices are falling and will continue to fall. I'm just worried that the house we buy for 155 now will be 105 a year from now. Should we wait and see if the prices drop any further or should we snatch up this house while we can?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 08:28 PM

185 posts, read 746,538 times
Default Its way over priced my friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaheimDude07 View Post
My wife and I are currently looking to purchase a manufactured home in Redmond. It's a few years old but it's one of the newer ones that look and feel more like an actual home rather than a doublewide mobile home. It' has a good size lot (about 1/4 acre) and it's mostly landscaped with sprinklers. Although the asking price is $155K, we both think it's relatively cheap considering we are moving from southern California where $155K won't even buy you a shanty in the desert, let alone a home with land.

I am concerned with the current state of the real estate market though. I know that in some markets the prices are falling and will continue to fall. I'm just worried that the house we buy for 155 now will be 105 a year from now. Should we wait and see if the prices drop any further or should we snatch up this house while we can?
The Bend/Redmond real estate market is way over priced. I lived there in 05-06 and saw home prices go up 35% and more for site built houses.

If I was thinking of buying a house in this area I would stop at the county's web page first and look up the history of that propety. then you could see for your self how overheated this area has become.

In early 05 a 1100 sf 3/2/2 built new sold for 89k sellers are now wishing for 200k. Home values will go down the deeper we go into this recession.

I know that this seems cheap compared to your current location but the local
economy does not support these high prices. This includes the Hwy97 corridor
from LaPine to Madras.

Good luck to you
Chewy

Last edited by CHEWY12; 08-13-2007 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-13-2007, 10:01 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,033,402 times
Several sources have informed me that in Oregon, several areas are doing fine and that prices are not dropping - sales starting to pick up pace.

I suppose you may as well compare local prices with local prices.

There are those who may wait for prices to drop. And some people who have done that, also experienced higher interest rates.

Neither one is a know for certain piece of future.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:26 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,051,201 times
Bend is one of the most popular areas to move to now, Redmond is right by Bend, so many people are looking "outside Bend" and going into Redmond. My folks are some of them! Im not realtor or professional, but from what Ive heard in the last 2 yrs or so, is Redmond is fast upcoming and going to be going nowhere but UP UP UP on real estate prices. Again, dont go with just what my opinion is, this is just what Ive heard from my folks and those people I know in both Redmond and Bend.
btw, if you dont go for it, and its at least 2bdrm, please PM me, my folks might be interested! Theyve been looking for a good year now!
also, keep in mind if youre looking for resale value, the manufactured homes dont do as well in appriciating as the stick built. Most banks wont loan on any more than 10yrs old.
Good luck to you!
Tiffany

Old 08-17-2007, 03:39 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,934 times
Nobody can realistically predict what will happen in the real estate. Too many different factors involved. My advice would be that if you need to move, like the home and have the money, just do it. You need a place to live and if it doesn't appreciate in a year, that's okay if you aren't planning to move.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:59 AM

12 posts, read 56,245 times
the key with mfd homes is to look at the land they are on. The home itself generally loses value faster than a stick home, in real estate it is really the land that is gaining value not the house. Manu homes can be harder to finance and lately require the borrower to live in the home. This make them harder to buy and sell because "investors" can't use them as rentals because they can't get loans on them. The greatly reduces your pool of buyers when it is time to sell. The price doesn't seem bad for Redmond, however I am aware of many stick built homes in Redmond for under 200.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,420 times
We lived in Aspen Creek from 1997 to 2006 when we sold and moved south to retire. Aspen Creek was converted from a MFP to a MF subdivision and we wished that had happened years earlier as they raised our rent every year. We would never buy a manufactured home unless we owned the land.
As for manufactured homes - ours was a Fuqua and we never had any problems. In fact, we have had more problems with our newly built stick house here.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 27,594 times
I would be leary of buying a mobile home in Redmond. They are shutting down all the mobile home parks here in Bend. The city won't allow a very old one to be moved anywhere even your own property for that matter! Watch that Redmond becomes like it in the near future! Tragic to those who can't afford to move their home somewhere but to the dump. I was forced out of one myself. Besides, mobile homes depreciate and I can't forsee anyone coming out ahead in that game!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,970 times
Default Re: Move to Redmond

Hello,

I moved to Redmond two years ago. When we first arrive here, it was difficult to find a decent home that wasn't over 300k. We bought ours for 285k in April of 06. Since that time three other homes next to us, that are also new, sat there unsold. They dropped the price 60k and just finally sold the homes. The house across the street from us paid 315k two years ago, today the exact same house sold for 220k. As you can see, the prices have gone down.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:00 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,111,399 times
IMO Bend-Redmond real estate is really hurting--probably not in "free fall" like Cali, NV, etc., but not too far off. The 155K price might have that already factored in...I'm almost surprised to see that for .25 AC. Depends on the location I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend