Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 01:37 PM

431 posts, read 599,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
Interesting. I have no problem with BBB speeds up or down.
It's a congestion issue. This morning it's sitting at around 30 Mbps. Come evening time, it will drop like a stone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 09:35 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,001,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
It's a congestion issue. This morning it's sitting at around 30 Mbps. Come evening time, it will drop like a stone.
Luckily we don't see much of a change throughout the day.

What did they tell you when you identified the issue? Are they working on upgrading the equipment to handle the congestion?

Old 09-08-2014, 08:22 PM

57 posts, read 128,630 times
For the OP, BBB puts a cap on how much data you can download/upload/stream. If you go over it, it's super expensive. A overnight guest accidentally changed our TV settings to HD, and our current BBB bill was 4 times the normal amount, due to the data overage we streamed all month. BBB doesn't do a courtesy notification or anything, so you wouldn't know how much data you're streaming unless you regularly check.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
Luckily we don't see much of a change throughout the day.

What did they tell you when you identified the issue? Are they working on upgrading the equipment to handle the congestion?
Their answer at the moment is that it's an older neighborhood and there's not much they can do. We also have some channels that don't come in because there isn't the bandwidth to carry them. BBB have already dropped some of the less popular HD channels to try to alleviate this issue. At the end of the day, they need to invest in their infrastructure. After yesterday's TV fiasco maybe they will.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativekristy View Post
. BBB doesn't do a courtesy notification or anything, so you wouldn't know how much data you're streaming unless you regularly check.
They do have an option somewhere where you can configure warnings for 70%, 90% and 100%. In my experience, the 70% one takes 3 or 4 days to be sent which is pretty useless.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:59 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,001,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
They do have an option somewhere where you can configure warnings for 70%, 90% and 100%. In my experience, the 70% one takes 3 or 4 days to be sent which is pretty useless.
I think mine come fairly quick but I'll double check when I hit it next.

Last edited by BendLocal; 09-09-2014 at 08:55 PM..

Old 11-04-2014, 11:56 AM

9 posts, read 48,800 times
This is a really helpful thread. Just bought in Bend yesterday and also work from home and need fast Internet. Looks like Century Link is the way to go. Thanks for the info!

Old 11-04-2014, 12:01 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyLooking View Post
This is a really helpful thread. Just bought in Bend yesterday and also work from home and need fast Internet. Looks like Century Link is the way to go. Thanks for the info!
Welcome to Bend! I would l love it if you follow up in a month or so & let us know what you think of their service.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:59 PM

30 posts, read 109,775 times
I wanted to add my experience as I was with BendBroadband for a little over 2 years before switching to CenturyLink.

The bottom line is that these two are the main two players here in town. There are a couple other options but given the location of their towers and because I'm "in the shadow of the butte" they are not an option for me.

Initially I was really skeptical about CenturyLink b/c of the year contract and abundance of bad reviews. However, that I've switched to them I wish I had started with them in the first place... I could have saved myself all the internet connectivity and speed headaches of BBB.

Something to keep in mind though is that your location will make a difference as to which company will be your best bet. For example, I'm in a good area for CenturyLink so I'm getting their maximum download speed of 40 Mbps. Depending on where you live you may only get 7 Mbps (even though you're paying the same $29.95/mo).

I wrote a long review and comparison of the two companies on my blog which you're welcome to read if you want all the nitty gritty of the two companies: BendBroadband vs CenturyLink - Who's the best internet provider?

But the short answer is that CL is the better value over BBB as long as you're getting a download speed of at least 15 Mbps.

Last edited by lance; 04-14-2015 at 08:13 PM..

Old 05-06-2015, 02:57 PM

86 posts, read 266,380 times
OP checking back in. I've since moved from Bend, but during my time there I had Century Link. Don't remember the exact speed package I had, but as lance said, the speeds were NEVER anywhere close to the advertised speeds. Pros: No data cap, decent customer service, very few outages in service, and speeds were consistent. Cons: Speeds were consistently SLOW. I currently have satellite internet and aside from latency issues, the speeds are faster than my Century Link service was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend