Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:39 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times

Advertisements

The first crop of Cascades mosquitoes, just as the snow starts to melt, are FEROCIOUS. That's why, for me, camping season in the Cascades doesn't start until about August. Down out of the mountains they aren't nearly as bad.

Down here we've had a surprisingly mild mosquito season so far (as long as you are away from the marshlands/wetlands, lake, canals). I'm sort of surprised, because I thought the long, cool spring would mean it would be worse than normal, but I've been sitting out at night with just one of those clip-on fan repellants and I've only been bitten a couple of times. I tend to get the swollen welts that last for a day or two and itch, so it's a concern for me. I've also had West Nile, which wasn't fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 05:52 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Thank you, suspected that. Is there a high water table in the Bend area too?

So I guess my wife's desire for a small in ground pool in Bend would be very expensive. Planned on solar or gas heated and now above ground looks like best option. See lots of hot tubs which seem a nice fit for the cool evenings.
There can be. Some property we bought south of Sunriver had a static water level of 13 feet when the well was drilled. According to the county it can be as high as 4 feet.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:52 PM

722 posts, read 1,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
There can be. Some property we bought south of Sunriver had a static water level of 13 feet when the well was drilled. According to the county it can be as high as 4 feet.
That is very interesting. Having lived here in PA VA and WV my whole life I am intrigued by the high desert, particularly when there seems to be so much ground water available. So much to learn.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The first crop of Cascades mosquitoes, just as the snow starts to melt, are FEROCIOUS. That's why, for me, camping season in the Cascades doesn't start until about August. Down out of the mountains they aren't nearly as bad.

Down here we've had a surprisingly mild mosquito season so far (as long as you are away from the marshlands/wetlands, lake, canals). I'm sort of surprised, because I thought the long, cool spring would mean it would be worse than normal, but I've been sitting out at night with just one of those clip-on fan repellants and I've only been bitten a couple of times. I tend to get the swollen welts that last for a day or two and itch, so it's a concern for me. I've also had West Nile, which wasn't fun.
Wow, that is good information to have. If we decide to move to Bend we would likely buy a home in town and not along the river. Don't imagine we would do any camping if we lived there? Our mountain home in WV has given me nature overload. Ready to be close by beautiful mountains (not in them) and have water access close as well. I think Bend would fill that need.

Sorry to hear about your run in with West Nile. Is that cured or something that just goes in remission?

Old 07-08-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your run in with West Nile. Is that cured or something that just goes in remission?
It was like really bad flu (and only diagnosed by blood work after the fact) - very achy joints, headache and fever. The upside is that I supposedly have immunity, at least for a while.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:22 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times
Quote:
Thank you, suspected that. Is there a high water table in the Bend area too?

So I guess my wife's desire for a small in ground pool in Bend would be very expensive. Planned on solar or gas heated and now above ground looks like best option. See lots of hot tubs which seem a nice fit for the cool evenings.
Honestly, I don't really know why anyone would consider putting in a pool in Bend. It's just not warm enough for long enough to justify the expense or need for a pool. Plus, there are plenty of lakes to enjoy up in the Cascades when it gets hot.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Honestly, I don't really know why anyone would consider putting in a pool in Bend. It's just not warm enough for long enough to justify the expense or need for a pool. Plus, there are plenty of lakes to enjoy up in the Cascades when it gets hot.
Yeah I hear you but aren't the lakes cold and loaded with mosquitoes.. she wants to live some place cool yet wants a pool...

Old 07-09-2012, 07:52 PM

We set up an inexpensive kiddie pool (8 or 10' in diameter, about 3' deep) out on the patio, usually somewhere toward the end of June and then take it down sometime in September. We built it a little solar thermal heater and it usually keeps the water in the mid-to-high 80s (today it hit 89 out and the pool hit 93, so we had to cover the thermal panel). Just barely deep enough to sit in and have the water almost at your shoulders. The dip is very refreshing and then there is usually enough breeze to cool you off as the water dries off your skin. Or we sit in the pool in sand-type chairs and read.....

That's enough pool expense and trouble for me.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
We set up an inexpensive kiddie pool (8 or 10' in diameter, about 3' deep) out on the patio, usually somewhere toward the end of June and then take it down sometime in September. We built it a little solar thermal heater and it usually keeps the water in the mid-to-high 80s (today it hit 89 out and the pool hit 93, so we had to cover the thermal panel). Just barely deep enough to sit in and have the water almost at your shoulders. The dip is very refreshing and then there is usually enough breeze to cool you off as the water dries off your skin. Or we sit in the pool in sand-type chairs and read.....

That's enough pool expense and trouble for me.
your pool type is fine with me, just enough to relax and cool off on a hot day. I would prefer a hot tub for the chilly or cold nights. my wife grew up with a pool and definitely wants another one where ever we end up in the future.

If we can get 3 good pool months (July Aug Sept? ) per year that would likely be fine for her?

Do any lakes near by get warm enough to swim? Also does it get dusty or smokey from wild fires during the summers in Bend?

Old 07-10-2012, 09:43 AM

A hot tub makes more sense, since you can get year-round use out of it - even on hot summer days, the nights are cool. I'm not a big fan of lake or river swimming so that I can't answer. Your wife might be thinking that a pool would be a good year-round exercise or relaxation place. For that to happen, the pool would have to be good-sized and under cover most of the year. Might be better to find an area close to a public pool or gym with a pool.

Smoke from summer fires is a possibility, depending on where the fires are and how widespread and weather inversions to keep the smoke in or low. It's usually more of a haze on the horizon. That's true across all of Oregon though - from the coast to the Cascades there is a lot of timber to burn and in eastern Oregon there are extensive grass and sage lands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend