Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 12:34 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times

Advertisements

Well, it's finally upon us. The nights have cooled down significantly here in Bend. We have our first freezing temps predicted for tonight (well, they were predicted last night as well, but didn't quite get there) and the rest of the week. It's been pretty darn cold in my house in the mornings too. Doesn't warm up about 65° until after noon each day. Think it might be time to fire up the woodstove! I covered my one tomato and one melon plant (neither of which I planted, they just volunteered) last night, but wondering if they will make it through the week with these low temps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 01:37 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,249 times
I'm excited! I was jealous when I saw my friend in Bozeman, MT got snow over night in town...can't wait for winter!

September was warm like last year...don't think we even had a high in the 60's... Pretty much in the 70s & 80s with a day or so in the 90's even...we'll see what October brings.

Note: Last year this first week of October we has pretty terrible weather compared to this year. One of my roommates parents came to visit and it was cool-to-cold pretty much all week with lots of overcast and wintery mixes in the mountains - they were disappointed. After this week it then cleared up for that EXTREMELY and unusually sunny Oct-Dec stint we had.... (I wasn't a fan, but most people seemed to like it, ha)

---
Is this the time locals turn off their sprinkler systems? I did last night and am blowing them out in the next few weeks.

Last edited by kapetrich; 10-03-2012 at 02:18 PM..

Old 10-03-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I'm excited! I was jealous when I saw my friend in Bozeman, MT got snow over night in town...can't wait for winter!

September was warm like last year...don't think we even had a high in the 60's... Pretty much in the 70s & 80s with a day or so in the 90's even...we'll see what October brings.

Note: Last year this first week of October we has pretty terrible weather compared to this year. One of my roommates parents came to visit and it was cool-to-cold pretty much all week with lots of overcast and wintery mixes in the mountains - they were disappointed. After this week it then cleared up for that EXTREMELY and unusually sunny Oct-Dec stint we had.... (I wasn't a fan, but most people seemed to like it, ha)

---
Is this the time locals turn off their sprinkler systems? I did last night and am blowing them out in the next few weeks.

Well, snow in the mountains is fine with me, although I don't necessarily want it here in town just yet! Two October's ago on this date, we had a freak 8" snowstorm that wasn't predicted at all. It took out my beautiful, very big maple tree in the backyard (and my garden).

It's a tad chilly for me today, although if I could get out in it, I'm sure it would feel wonderful. My inside temp. is reading 64.9° right now, brrr!!!

Yup, probably time to turn off the sprinkler system. For me, that entails unhooking the hose from the faucet! And heat, well, time to turn that on too. Oh wait....I need some wood! Won't ever buy an all electric house again, that's for sure!

Old 10-03-2012, 04:18 PM

722 posts, read 1,352,838 times
As a weather geek all my life and now having added Bend to my daily observation area.(because of my new strong interest in moving to Bend)

The forecast lows in Bend are consistently 5 even 10 degrees higher than the NWS or Weather Underground forecasts.

Is this typical of the area? Am I missing something? Is it the heat island effect of town? Of course the many elevations have an effect and maybe that is it? Maybe the regional forecasts are for lows in the cold spots?

Weather Underground has lows 16 to 22 tonight, I will be checking in the morning (as usual) and predict lows will be more like 22 - 30.... ?

Old 10-03-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
As a weather geek all my life and now having added Bend to my daily observation area.(because of my new strong interest in moving to Bend)

The forecast lows in Bend are consistently 5 even 10 degrees higher than the NWS or Weather Underground forecasts.

Is this typical of the area? Am I missing something? Is it the heat island effect of town? Of course the many elevations have an effect and maybe that is it? Maybe the regional forecasts are for lows in the cold spots?

Weather Underground has lows 16 to 22 tonight, I will be checking in the morning (as usual) and predict lows will be more like 22 - 30.... ?
I don't find weather underground to be the most accurate in town Bend weather site.....No site really is for Bend specific weather especially during the winter/spring season. That said, the weather underground I have bookmarked says it will be a low of 34 degrees tonight, not 16-22?: Weather Forecast Bend, OR | Bend Weather | Wunderground Right? Which if I'm reading correctly is actually predicting the night to be warmer than it actually will be (mid-to-upper 20's)

The best winter/spring predicting services in my experience are:

In town: Bend, Central Oregon Weather (didn't wanttttt to believe this, but from ALLLLL the sources I've been through and used to check daily for over 2 years they are by far the most accurate - they still have a hard time predicting a few days out, but they are normally pretty on top of it within a day or so which is saying a lot for this area during our winter/spring - The Cascade rainshadow effect coupled with the constant PNW weather patterns makes things difficult)

In the mountains:http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...&FcstType=text

Any other locals have some of their favorite most accurate weather sites for our area? I use these two as my baselines and then check a bunch others for comparison.

Most often, even on the more accurate weather sites the highs are predicted lower than they actually turn out to be in my experience. More often during summer months - days are normally anywhere between 1-5 degrees warmer by 5-5:30pm than predicted.

Last edited by kapetrich; 10-03-2012 at 05:09 PM..

Old 10-03-2012, 09:05 PM

722 posts, read 1,352,838 times
Thanks for the updates, weather as always where micro climates are involved varies. The Weather Underground has a Best Forecast / NWS forecast tab which I think gets linked to the current Wundergorund station?

Nice to know the in Bend news channel is on top of things, they typically default to Accu weather, weather channel or NWS so maybe they are actually looking at the data and creating there own interpretation?

If I am able to move to Bend I will be be adding a Davis VP Pro station and will start my own data base.

Of course if I don't like the weather then it will be too late if I am already living in Bend.

Quote:
I don't find weather underground to be the most accurate in town Bend weather site.....No site really is for Bend specific weather especially during the winter/spring season. That said, the weather underground I have bookmarked says it will be a low of 34 degrees tonight, not 16-22?: Weather Forecast Bend, OR | Bend Weather | Wunderground Right? Which if I'm reading correctly is actually predicting the night to be warmer than it actually will be (mid-to-upper 20's)

In town: Bend, Central Oregon Weather (didn't wanttttt to believe this, but from ALLLLL the sources I've been through and used to check daily for over 2 years they are by far the most accurate - they still have a hard time predicting a few days out, but they are normally pretty on top of it within a day or so which is saying a lot for this area during our winter/spring - The Cascade rainshadow effect coupled with the constant PNW weather patterns makes things difficult)

Any other locals have some of their favorite most accurate weather sites for our area? I use these two as my baselines and then check a bunch others for comparison.

Most often, even on the more accurate weather sites the highs are predicted lower than they actually turn out to be in my experience. More often during summer months - days are normally anywhere between 1-5 degrees warmer by 5-5:30pm than predicted.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post

Yeah, I agree. Most of the time the weather sites (whichever one you look at) seem to predict the lows a few degrees lower than actual temps. My guess is that the actual weather stations are located in town, so that skews data, like you said. With that, I tend to use weather underground because it has the almanac and you can actually see what the "actual" temps were each hour. I haven't been able to find that on other sites. Of course, it may be user error!

It was cold last night! According to WU, we hit a low of 29°. Not quite as cold as predicted, but it was cold enough to kill my plants (I haven't checked the ones I covered because it's still less than 40°out there at 9am). It was really cold in my house this morning too...57°!!! I fired up the woodstove for the first time this season. No more freezing for me.

Quote:

I think you're right that ktvz usually predicts pretty well, although I don't regularly check with them because I got rid of my cable. When I used to have it, I would check in on the news more often. Now, my go to is usually the NOAA or Weather Underground. Sometimes I use Accuweather if I am looking at my husband's smart phone app.

I also agree about the highs. That may also be due to the "heat island effect" snownut was referring to.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I think you're right that ktvz usually predicts pretty well, although I don't regularly check with them because I got rid of my cable. When I used to have it, I would check in on the news more often. Now, my go to is usually the NOAA or Weather Underground. Sometimes I use Accuweather if I am looking at my husband's smart phone app.

I also agree about the highs. That may also be due to the "heat island effect" snownut was referring to.
Yeah, I don't get cable either, I just check them online all the time. I use Weather Underground for statistics, too. Their history/almanac is pretty cool and easy to use comparably, albeit very black and white when looking at previous months, years, etc.. Plus, they have pretty good satellites and like you said, good hour by hour temp readings. I use accuweather on my phone, too- good satellites and they tell you humidity levels and what not.....ha. The 'uWeather' app is good too if you're into trying to predict weather patterns (mostly high/low pressure systems) on your own.....

Last night was cold! My roommates and I have a 'who can suggest turning on the heat last' game. It's hard to make it very far living in this climate especially when the daytime highs don't really heat up the house enough this time of year!

Old 10-04-2012, 07:11 PM

91 posts, read 207,141 times
Yep, the chickens are getting fluffy and the woodstove's been cranking. Brrrr. But feels nice compared to the heat that was everlasting this summer! Just need to get some firewood delivered ASAP! I need to find a fairly affordable supplier that delivers.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:18 AM

351 posts, read 1,283,065 times
I'm in the South East part of Bend and Going from daily highs of 70's last week to morning lows of 20's is really hard (yesterday morning it was 21).
I go for a morning walk... and it has been starting out in the middle 20's when I leave..... It is so hard to get acclimated to this cold so early in the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
View detailed profiles of: