Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 12:05 PM

7 posts, read 11,884 times

Advertisements

Not trying to determine which is a better place to live, as I have no desire to live in Tahoe. However, I see Bend as a possible future option. When I was looking around to find a similar place weatherwise to Bend, I discovered that Tahoe has almost the exact same temperature pattern. Tahoe on average has just slightly cooler nights most of the year, but the high temps all year long are almost identical. I spent a lot of time when I was younger in and around Tahoe, so this close comparasion (at least temp wise) surprised me a bit.

Tahoe gets more precip in the late Fall, Winter, and early Spring periods, but the summer amounts are almost exactly the same. The East side of the lake would also be in a rain shadow, much like Bend, at least compared to the West side of the lake and places just over the western ridge of the lake.

I'm going to assume that Tahoe is sunnier than Bend, but I wonder by how much? Summer sun is likely very similar at both places.

By all accounts, Tahoe would be considered a hearty four season climate, one that tends to the cool/cold side with freezing temps possible in all months. Summers are pleasantly warm with cool evenings. Just like Bend it seems.

For those that live in Bend, and maybe have spent some time in Tahoe, would you agree that the two are very similar from an overall climate perspective?

Bend temp graph:

Average Weather for Bend, OR - Temperature and Precipitation

Tahoe temp graph:

Average Weather for Lake Tahoe, CA - Temperature and Precipitation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 12:16 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,968 times
I think your comparison is pretty apt. Like you said, Tahoe will have more winter/mostly spring sun as their western valley is less cloudy/effected by the pacific jet steam than ours (Willamette Valley). That said, Tahoe gets FEET of snow pretty regularly. If it snows at the resorts you're likely diging out your car...and I'm not talking a foot or two, but like 5 feet...IN TOWN!!!

We hardly get ANY snow in Bend even when we get 2 feet over night in the mountains just 15mins up the road.

Summers will be almost identical, but I'd imagine Bend gets fewer summer thunderstorms.

I wouldn't call either climates '4 seasoned' per say, but I'm from the east coast where 4 seasons meant an even distrabution. Truly 3 months of each....so my view is skewed. We definitely get stong and very pronounced summers and winters with much less pronounced falls and springs, but they are still very much there, truth be told......in fact, our short falls are exceedingly pleasant...

Any more specific question? Hope this helps!

Last edited by kapetrich; 02-13-2013 at 12:29 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 12:28 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
I lived in Tahoe(Squaw Valley) for three years. You get a lot more snow there than Bend as you're higher up and you're right in the mountains as opposed to being just to the east of the mountains. I almost feel like Reno would be more comparable to the weather in Bend. Summertime does feel similar between the two--both are dry and hot in the day and cooler at night.

But in Tahoe you'll have a lot more days where you end up driving through a blizzard to get somewhere or have to shovel snow or so on(unless it's a really weak snow year). I remember spending days just shoveling out driveways or digging out the woodpile from a big snowstorm. It can be sunny for days after a big storm though. From my experience however, I never see that much snow in Bend--you're driving to the west into the hills to really get a comparable area to Tahoe.

Fall in Tahoe vs. Bend is sort of similar, though in Tahoe fall can be pretty quick. You'd get hot dry warm weather up until some time in October and suddenly it just gets cold and people start getting excited for ski season. Though thats common to much of the west coast--early to mid fall can actually be one of the best times weatherwise.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:10 PM

7 posts, read 11,884 times
Yeah, I originally looked at Reno as a comparison, but see that Reno has much warmer temps. Similar precip amounts though as Bend. So Tahoe temp + Reno precip = Bend weather. Best of both worlds, right?

Old 02-13-2013, 03:29 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTtheKid View Post
Yeah, I originally looked at Reno as a comparison, but see that Reno has much warmer temps. Similar precip amounts though as Bend. So Tahoe temp + Reno precip = Bend weather. Best of both worlds, right?
I wonder what the comparison of total sunny days would be? I always get a lot of sun when I travel to Bend, but I've never lived there year-round.

My memory of Tahoe was that it was extremely dry and sunny all summer and fall. Though we could get a lot of storms in winter and spring.

Yeah, Reno is hotter in summer--though in winter the amount of snow(or rain) seems closer to Bend. The nice thing about Bend is that if it does get too hot, you can always go for a hike up higher to the west and cool off. And you can have snow up on Bachelor and have warmer temps down in Bend itself.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:51 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,687,495 times
I think Kapetrich & Deezus gave you a pretty good assessment. Tahoe definitely has more sun overall, especially during spring. Bend is still influenced by the PNW weather pattern, so spring is a little more overcast, rainy, dreary than the Tahoe area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend