Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,726 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm new to the site. Hubby and I just returned yesterday from a two day visit to Bend. We loved touring the area. It's quite an attractive spot. We had a real estate agent drive us around, and we were pleased with the diversity of housing choices. We are seriously considering moving there this summer. I noticed however, I was drinking a lot more water while there, and my nose and face seemed a bit more chapped, so I was constantly slapping on lotion, even though it was only late March. I attribute this of course, to Bend being a high desert town. I wonder if this is a common thing for local people to do, having to drink more, and using skin protection products more frequently. Thanks for any comments and info in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 06:09 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
Bend is definitely dry compared to many places. I've always lived in dry climates though, so I guess lotion and drinking lots of water is just normal to me. But, yes, overall I can't go without either of those things. Where do you currently live?

Old 04-01-2013, 08:04 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
I drink a lot of artisan spring water.I put it in washed out Snapple tea bottles & gallon jugs.

I spend a lot of time outside exploring BLM lands, viewing beautiful scenes, finding new fishin' holes, etc...

Old 04-02-2013, 04:23 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,279,304 times
Full disclosure: I have strawberry-blonde hair with blue eyes. My skin and eyes are more sensitive than most.

Definitely. I moved here from the east coast and the sun here is much stronger (altitude) and unobstructed (truly cloudless days) than I was use to. I use sunscreen almost year round when I'm out and about. Also, I wear sunglasses even on cloudy days (mostly). Over the drier skin and sun protection, my eyes are really the only true annoyance. They get tired quickly and dry out faster here.

I keep lip balm and eye drops on me at all times and sunscreen in my car.

Your body will acclimate. It takes time, but you will definitely use more lip balm, moisturizer and drink more water in this type of climate. It's due mostly to the lack of humidity which makes winter temps feel warmer and summer temps feel cooler which is amazing, but there are downsides (I know you know this). For me it was most noticeable when I first move here. After a few months my body seemed to adapt a bit annnnnd I got use to the routine. I think people who grew up in this type of climate do not notice how much moisturizing they do/water they drink because it's all they know.

Another thing.....my first summer here I remember being overly tired each night. Much more than back home. The sun drained me especially if I went on some outdoor adventure that day. I'm going on my 4th-ish summer here this year and I don't even notice this effect anymore.

Last edited by kapetrich; 04-02-2013 at 05:13 PM..

Old 04-04-2013, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,726 times
Thank you so much for all this info.

I am a bit scared about moving there, due to maybe having to drink more water constantly, running more to restrooms, and putting on more skin protection products while living in Bend.

My hubby LOVES skiing and hiking. (I love boating and fishing.) When hubby saw Mt. Bachelor for the first time, he just stood there and stared in shock for a long time. He just could not believe it. He wanted to ski right away, but we didn't have time. You locals who live in Bend are lucky.

I'm from Chicago, so the snow and ice are nothing new to me. Long and wet winters/spring seasons don't affect me either. Neither does bad weather or cloudy skies. It's the dry air and low humidity that slightly concerns me, but yes, several people have told me the same thing, that my body will acclimate eventually.

People say we should visit Bend a few times before deciding to move there. So I think we'll make a second visit this summer and stay at least a week, and see what we think then. I've spoken to people who live in Portland, and they say they just cannot stand the rain on the other side of the Cascades. We get rain in Chicago, about the same amount as coastal PNW, but it comes down in frequent and fast downpours, not constant drizzles.

One more thing, what is everyone's opinion of the COCC and OSU-Cascades in Bend? I heard there is to be a four year university being developed. My daughter would start at COCC in the fall, if we moved there.

Thanks for this wonderful website. It makes me feel better in some ways. Will tell you all more later on about our future Bend visits.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:12 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
The tiredness is also likely from change in altitude. Chicago is around 500' above sea level, Bend is 3,600' feet. I moved from sea level to 4400' and had trouble with headaches, tiredness and the occasional bloody nose until I got acclimated. Took several weeks to fully adjust. The humidity change from Portland to the high desert also changed my hair from wavy/slightly curly to absolutely straight.

Water, sun block, moisturizer, chapstick, a wide brim hat, sunglasses in winter (the glare off snow and ice is worse than summer sun) and summer: all required.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:24 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,279,304 times
The altitude is a big factor, definitely.

I really wouldn't let dryness deter you - I haven't met anyone who has left because of it. I'm more sensitive to all this than the 'average' person and I even feel like the dryness positives waaaay out weigh the negatives. Just the fact that when it's in the upper 80's/90's here you won't break a sweat when you run from your air conditioned house to your airconditioned car (most people don't even have A/C here if that gives you any indication)...that ALONE is enough a perk for me. This summer should be a good test. When it's in the 90's here you can step in the shade and be pretty comfortable.

Half tongue and cheek (but really half not at all): Be careful...if you all liked Bend during our winters when visit this summer you'll want to move here. I'm just being realistic. Bend summer days are pretty much perfection for most people. The times of year people seem to complain about around here are winter/spring (mostly people from the SW and the like).

You are right about a 4 year, but it's just OSU-Cascades becoming totally stand alone and moving near the Old Mill District. I think they want something like 3-5k students by 2015? COCC is a huge community college by my standards. Something like 12k students. Here are some threads to that end:

OSU Planning Full 4-Year Facility At Bend Location

Where Will The University Be Located?

Hope this helps!

Last edited by kapetrich; 04-08-2013 at 06:32 PM..

Old 04-08-2013, 09:32 PM

8 posts, read 15,408 times
I transferred from Seattle to Bend back in '99 - and yes, you need to drink a lot more water in Bend...my co workers would regularly ask me if I was drinking enough water. Also, I quickly noticed drier skin, and for the first time in my life my heels cracked so you do need to use - regularly - more skin lotion. I left Bend a few years ago back to west of the mountains, and am now thinking about moving back -the positives most definitely outweigh the negatives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
View detailed profiles of: