Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 01:23 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,011,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener_Pastures View Post
and even if it is, no matter where they spend the money, its still going into the local economy, isn't it?
Unfortunately much of it goes to big chains that funnel the money away from the local economy.

Quote:
I have seen evidence, ME, I went to college, volunteered, and saw others who did too, many others in fact. BUT I know, my first hand knowledge means nothing to your argument.
I don't know a single college student that volunteers and I know many. That said when we toured the smaller private liberal arts schools they put an emphasis on volunteering. I don't think Bend will see a meaningful boost in volunteers from a new OSU campus.

Quote:
More options for classes (whether an individual class taken by a stay-at-home mom in the evenings or a whole curriculum taken by a new resident student isn't a negative - at best you could call it a wash, AT BEST.
Higher education is wonderful. But one often overlooked result is increased competition for the small number of white collar jobs that are already flooded with over qualified application. Increased competition leads to lower wages in a town that doesn't have enough white collar jobs as it is. OSU graduates that don't want to leave Bend will also increase unemployment because many won't be able to find jobs.

Quote:
You said it yourself, that new places would open because of a different type of student spending, so these new places need to be staffed do they not? Doesn't that mean more jobs for these types of students? And then more money flowing into the local economy?
True that a couple of bars will open and their owners will do well. They will hire part time college students to spend the extra money in their bars. Not much of a help for the existing local business owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 01:29 PM

150 posts, read 215,890 times
Yeah, I'm done with this topic as it's just here for you to argue peoples points. Have fun arguing around in circles for the fun of it. We can agree to disagree

Old 12-09-2013, 01:44 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,556,671 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm done with this topic as it's just here for you to argue peoples points. Have fun arguing around in circles for the fun of it. We can agree to disagree
Just remember that absolutely no good will ever come from having up a 4-year-university in Bend. And the town will be in danger of having hardcore snowball attacks non-stop during the snowy season because of it...

Old 12-09-2013, 01:59 PM

722 posts, read 1,356,493 times
Positive people ask how.

So my response is this, " A 4 year University is slowly coming to Bend "

How can the community respond, nurture and grow this new reality that is going to unfold slowly over the next decade?

What steps can be taken to prepare?

What is needed to make it successful?

What alliances and partnerships will be created?

Who will benefit?

Who will be the antagonists that resist this change and focus on the negatives and what is the best way to handle them?

On a personal level:

I am excited to own a nightly rental property with 3/4 of a mile of the campus site, this should provide more rental opportunities during the winter and spring low seasons for parents and guests coming into town for weekends and events.

Bend is already a small city with it's own character and unique qualities that make it attractive to many people. The expanding university will need to find a way to integrate into Bend which is opposite of some University towns where the University is the identity of the town. My daughter attends Virginia Tech and that is an example of a place that would barely be on the map without the University.

Bend is already "on the map". For many (myself included) I think the new university will add another opportunity for good paying jobs, teachers, staff, construction jobs, housing, hotels, restaurants, mount bachelor, beer industry, outdoor recreation, tax revenue for the city, redmond airport etc, etc will all see an economic increase from the University. No doubt there are road, infrastructure and other issues that will need to be addressed, thankfully this is going to happen slowly and I think more people are interested in smoothing out the bumps and challenges than fighting and focusing on the negative things that can happen.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:33 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,701,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
Lets be honest here. Universities do bring unwanted behavior. It is the norm not the exception.

I've lived in several university towns over the years. Yes, there is some unwanted behavior but to say it's the norm is ridiculous! Why then are many university towns consistently rated as best places to live by many national publications?

What are your talking about above?
This is in reference to the economy and as others have already stated, the economic benefits of a 4 year university are many. My sister currently lives in a college town, Missoula, MT, and they fared pretty well in the recession. Home prices never tanked like they did here. I also still have friends in Fort Collins, CO and they didn't experience the huge decline in housing, nor major job losses we did. But, just in case that isn't good enough for you, here are some links to show that college towns do, in fact, help the economy.

College towns do OK in recession - USATODAY.com

College Towns Stay Afloat in Economic Downturn |

College Campuses Keep Local Economies Afloat During Hard Times

How Colleges and Universities Can Help Their Local Economies - Liberty Street Economics

Colleges and universities greatly improve their local economies, study finds | Schools.com

Old 12-09-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
What steps can be taken to prepare?
This is a big one. I truly hope the town gets serious about it. But planning is not a strong point of this town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
I am excited to own a nightly rental property with 3/4 of a mile of the campus site, this should provide more rental opportunities during the winter and spring low seasons for parents and guests coming into town for weekends and events.
Cool. I did not know you had invested in a hotel - bed and breakfast type of place. That is awesome. Welcome to our business community!

Old 12-09-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
This is in reference to the economy and as others have already stated, the economic benefits of a 4 year university are many. My sister currently lives in a college town, Missoula, MT, and they fared pretty well in the recession. Home prices never tanked like they did here. I also still have friends in Fort Collins, CO and they didn't experience the huge decline in housing, nor major job losses we did. But, just in case that isn't good enough for you, here are some links to show that college towns do, in fact, help the economy.
Delta read your own links. They are towns with anchor institutions that are the backbone of their economies. OSU will be a satellite campus that will have a minimal impact on the overall Bend economy since it will provide less than 500 jobs. We get all the problems that thousands of drunk rowdy noisy college students brings with few of the economic benefits. Not to mention the unintended job competition consequences I mentioned above and increased costs to bump up the city's infrastructure.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:45 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,701,704 times
Quote:
They aren't kids. They are young adults.
Quote:
With an age range of 18 - 21 there is no support for your position.
I'll address this issue too. Yes, technically by societies standards they are considered young adults. I would say the key word there is young. They are not adults and often make stupid mistakes. I think we can all think of something stupid we did at this age.

To address the human growth and development side of this, these "kids" brains are not fully developed yet. Research shows this!

http://ncherm.org/pdfs/COLLEGE_STUDENT_BRAIN.pdf

Key points made in this article:

"The brain, as we now know from imaging studies conducted under the auspices of the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), is not likely to reach full maturity until a person reaches his or her mid-twenties. Moreover, the late adolescent stages of brain development render young people particularly vulnerable to their impulses, emotions, and to the effects of alcohol and drugs. “Adolescence,” explains Dr. Ronald Dahl of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, “is a time when passions can hijack the brain’s ability to make decisions and control behavior, with potentially deadly results” (Ronald Kotulak, “Teens driven to distraction,” The Chicago Tribune (March 24, 2006), p.6)."

"According to Dr. Jay Giedd, the NIMH neuroscientist whose MRI brain-scan research was the centerpiece of “Inside the Teenage Brain,” puberty and the young adult years comprise a critical time for “brain sculpting.” During this period, the frontal lobe or cortex is still changing and developing. This area - often called the “chief executive officer” of the brain - contains the synaptic structure that controls decision-making, judgment and impulse control. As it develops it begins over-producing cells and connections, contributing to the chaotic thoughts and emotions that characterize the early and mid-to-late-teen years."

Last edited by delta07; 12-09-2013 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: added quotes

Old 12-09-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
They are not adults and often make stupid mistakes. I think we can all think of something stupid we did at this age.
Of course they are adults. That isn't even debatable.

Doing something stupid as a young adult? Absolutely. Bullying a mother driving her car and then a senior citizen driving his car? Not a chance.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:38 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,283,898 times
Quote:
Of course they are adults. That isn't even debatable.

Doing something stupid as a young adult? Absolutely. Bullying a mother driving her car and then a senior citizen driving his car? Not a chance.
You choose to read what you want. She is not debating their legal standing as adults at all. Even said as much. Neither was I when I made my comments. These are young adults and within our common vernacular, 'college kids'. 18-21 is a young brain no matter how the law arbitrarily defines it. Life is not black and white.

You know who else is legally an adult? The mother and senior citizen who were attacked by snowballs. They have every right to press charges especially with that video footage. To my understanding they're not. This is how the law works for us adults.

The 'adults' should not have accosted people with snowballs. Not a single person in this thread condones their actions, but this incident isn't really that earth shattering unless you live in a box.

Annnnnnndddddd.....life goes on, AGAIN.

If you want to continue debating the snowball fight fiasco, please keep it in the general forum thread that was started a few days back: Snowball fighting now a criminal offense in Oregon??

Last edited by kapetrich; 12-09-2013 at 06:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend