Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 01:00 PM

681 posts, read 1,045,515 times

Advertisements

as the title says, i'm driving a little front wheel drive cavalier with all weather wheels and wondered if I would really need studded tires for just driving back and forth between redmond/bend?

no plans to go over the passes or anything other than main roads. This is my first winter driving here in central oregon being from Georgia where we only saw a few days of snow once every 5 years or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 01:39 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,944 times
I use studless snows and they work great during the winter. There are only a few days per year I wish I had studs.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:55 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
You might be OK. It depends upon what the winter is like. The highway and main roads are well plowed.

The problem is that we will have patches of black ice and that is where the studs will save you.

Front wheel drive tends to be pretty good in the snow. Slow down well before you need to stop, because FWD, AWD, and 4WD do not stop you on the ice. You will slide right through a stop sign if you try to stop in a short distance.

I know people with non-studded winter tires that never go anywhere but town and they do OK. If you are out in the country or have to go over the passes, then I recommend studs, unless you have the luxury of staying home until the ice melts.

When the roads are really icy, I drive a 4WD with off road studded tires and even so, I must be very careful about how I drive. Then, on other days, I drive a cargo van with regular street tires (siped) and I am fine.

Snow isn't too difficult, it is the black ice and we get a lot of black ice in this area.

Keep in minds that nothing will stop you or turn you on the ice except for driving across it really slow and watch for enough space to not get hit if you do slide. Studs will get you around a lot safer, but you still must compensate for the ice on the road and not drive like you drive on a clear dry road.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:07 PM

We also get snow that packs into ice that would be challenging without good snows.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:50 PM

456 posts, read 1,007,549 times
Been driving in Central Oregon for 10 years with FWD and Michelin X-ICE studless snow tires. Nothing but good to say about them other than they last about 20K miles.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
Been driving in Central Oregon for 10 years with FWD and Michelin X-ICE studless snow tires. Nothing but good to say about them other than they last about 20K miles.
20K winter miles? That seems low to me. I thought they had a 36K mile warranty.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:16 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,516 times
I have never used studded tires and haven't had a problem, buuuut I do have an AWD Subaru with 'regular' tires. Also, I drive up to Bachelor during most storms so I'm in the 'thick of things' on a regular basis.

*knocks on wood*

I think studded tires a bit overboard, but if I had a tiny rear wheel drive car (they don't really make these anymore) or even a tiny front wheel I'd think about it, but really regular snow tires seem to do fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Keep in minds that nothing will stop you or turn you on the ice except for driving across it really slow and watch for enough space to not get hit if you do slide. Studs will get you around a lot safer, but you still must compensate for the ice on the road and not drive like you drive on a clear dry road.
This.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:13 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
We don't have studded snow tires on either of our vehicles and have usually done okay. There have been a few times each winter where I wish we had them, mostly to just get out of our neighborhood. The ice is definitely the hard part too. I did end up sliding into a curb 2 years ago because of the ice. If you are not used to driving in snow and/or ice, then it might very well be worth your while to take a winter driving course and/or invest in good snow tires.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:57 PM

351 posts, read 1,283,575 times
I have a 4x4 Toyota Tundra, and I have a 4 tire/rim studded set-up for winter.

Studded snow tires: Topic tends to come up every winter..... and it seams like 80% of the people in the discussion forum don't have them or don't like/want them.

Funny though........ Just listen when you are out and about and you will hear the "clicking" everywhere...... apparently most people have studded tires on their vehicles!!!

Snow tires are "soft rubber" and really don't last very long......

Old 09-29-2013, 03:23 PM

From the November 2009 issue of Automobile Magazine

Snow Tire FAQ - Automobile Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend