Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2018, 12:07 AM

18 posts, read 66,088 times

Advertisements

I know Bend is technically central Oregon, but does it's cultural and political mentalities reflect the western half of the state or the eastern? Meaning is it more liberal like the west or conservative like the east? If you have specific examples that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 09:06 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,004,546 times
Deschutes County is about 50/50 when looking at the Dem/Rep ratio. Dems are gaining faster than Repubs with the population increase, but the fastest growing segment appears to be voters that are not affiliated with a party.

https://www.deschutes.org/sites/defa...07_2018-09.pdf

Old 10-08-2018, 10:36 AM

812 posts, read 1,062,579 times
Bend has lots of people from both extremes and a few in the middle.

I like it that way, as too many of either extreme makes everything go to crap.

Sort of keeps both sides in check.

Unaffiliated probably sums it up best. I think most people are pretty disgusted with both political parties.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:02 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Neither. Eastern Oregon is cattle country. Bend used to be cattle country. You'd see stock trailers with saddled horses parked at the country store and real cowboys, complete with dust, chaps, and spurs.

Not any more. Bend is now a resort area and no more cowboy hats and any cowboy boots you see are new and pretty. All the saddleries have gone out of business. The dairies are all gone. The auction yard was closed down long ago. But there are thirty something golf courses.

Elected politicians in Central Oregon, both state and federal, are Republicans, except the Bend gave a slight nudge to Clinton.

Central Oregon is nothing like the Willamette Valley. Might as well be a separate state.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:05 AM

36 posts, read 39,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Neither. Eastern Oregon is cattle country. Bend used to be cattle country. You'd see stock trailers with saddled horses parked at the country store and real cowboys, complete with dust, chaps, and spurs.

Not any more. Bend is now a resort area and no more cowboy hats and any cowboy boots you see are new and pretty. All the saddleries have gone out of business. The dairies are all gone. The auction yard was closed down long ago. But there are thirty something golf courses.

Elected politicians in Central Oregon, both state and federal, are Republicans, except the Bend gave a slight nudge to Clinton.

Central Oregon is nothing like the Willamette Valley. Might as well be a separate state.
One thing I don't understand is your statement that federal elected officials are Republicans. I wonder about that because of this:
Senators: Jeff Merkley (D), Ron Wyden (D)
Representatives: Peter DeFazio, Greg Walden (R), Earl Blumenauer (D), Suzanne Bonamici (D), Kurt Schrader (D)

Based on this, all except one of Oregon's members of Congress are Democrats.
However, I note that you were speaking of Central Oregon, so you may be right at the county and city level. I looked at the state level and it's pretty evenly divided between the two main parties. Elected Officials for Statewide Offices in Oregon - LWV of Marion and Polk Counties

I didn't look at the county or city level, just state and federal.

Thanks for your observations, though. I learned from your post, enjoyed your description of Oregon as cattle country, and I certainly believe you when you say Central Oregon is predominantly Republican.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:02 AM

11 posts, read 17,099 times
Here's a map of the 2016 election by voting precinct from the NY Times. Just scroll or type in the area you're interested in. As the map shows, there's quite a bit of blue in Bend, but it gets more red as you go east in town. In general, the west side of Bend is solid blue, up to about Purcell/Pettigrew streets (Pilot Butte area), then gets more pink as you go east. East of 27th St. it starts to get more red.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-121.269/80232

Last edited by backcountryjack; 10-09-2018 at 11:22 AM..

Old 10-09-2018, 08:11 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,004,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backcountryjack View Post
Here's a map of the 2016 election by voting precinct from the NY Times. Just scroll or type in the area you're interested in. As the map shows, there's quite a bit of blue in Bend, but it gets more red as you go east in town. In general, the west side of Bend is solid blue, up to about Purcell/Pettigrew streets (Pilot Butte area), then gets more pink as you go east. East of 27th St. it starts to get more red.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-121.269/80232
That map is Trump vs Clinton which is different than Rep vs Dem. At least based on my group of friends.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:08 AM

11 posts, read 17,099 times
Ok, in what way does it differ? Looking at the map, and the shaded areas it shows, I'd say it corresponds fairly well to what I've seen living here many years, at least in a general sense. Granted, the 2016 election was not as typical as some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
View detailed profiles of: