Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 06:22 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times

Advertisements

Jobless rates rise in all US metro areas in March - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Jobless-rates-rise-in-all-US-apf-15068914.html - broken link)

Ya know, That means that pretty much one out of every 5 hardworking people you see...is not. One out of five. That's a big, hearty WOW! if I ever said WOW! before, and I've been saying WOW! a lot lately.

The jobless rate jumped to 17 percent in Bend, Ore., a 9.2 percentage-point rise and the second-biggest monthly gainer. Bend for years has been the center of the central Oregon real estate and construction boom, largely fueled by retirees from California...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 01:47 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
Oregon in total is one of the top 10% in the nation for unemployment. If you take a glance at the moving boards, people are still trying to move up here with little saved up and expecting to get "Just Any" job to make ends meet till things improve. Riding past the missions in Portland every day I get to see those ranks of people who didn't have enough savings or didn't meet their optimistic assumptions against the the other 100k of people who are trying to get any job to get by and ride things out. Even being at one of the largest employers in health care is not any assurance here...I wasn't one affected though they got rid of about 10% of my department, but the company laid off about 1/8 of their personnel in the last 4 months (about 1,200 people)

Old 05-04-2009, 09:18 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,854,845 times
Then there is this part of the same news item:
El Centro, Calif., continued to claim the highest unemployment rate -- 25.1 percent. The jobless rate there is notoriously high because there are so many unemployed seasonal agriculture workers.

Following close behind were Merced, Calif., with a jobless rate of 20.4 percent,

Some strange places are showing high rates of unemployment.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 8,681 times
Bend is a beautiful area of the country, but part of the problem is with Oregon. Everything I read about Oregon is that it is Anti-Business. Good friend that just closed his business mentioned that there is more Government red tape to process than any other states!

What a shame to the area, some states never change

Old 05-20-2009, 09:14 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
Not sure I would say anti-business, it seems too strong, but there is certainly the thought that you must take away from the companies that do well in order to provide for those who do not (both small companies and less fortunate people). I think Oregon is kicking butt compared to California, but that's not really saying much.

I can speak from the large health care area that we get slapped around a good bit with taxes, fees, and being forced to take a good number of people who can't pay (non emergency patients)...and there's currently bills in the works to expand the programs. It's nice to be compassionate, but often our programs go to benefit the poorest of the poor as handouts instead of the a helping hand for people trying to work hard and get ahead.

I can say two examples that made me shake my head...one was a working mom who was in a car accident, worked in a lower middle income position, that had surgery to reset bones and put pins in...didn't qualify for more help then a reduction in her bills to a contracted rate instead of full charge (and a payment plan). The second is a homeless drug addict, through the program his care was paid for (less then cost though) to include oncology treatments for pretty much terminal cancer (possible but extremely unlikely positive outcome) that included IV treatments that are in no fashion cheap. So the accident pretty much bankrupted her, most likely on the street by now instead of working, while we provide care to the person who pretty much destroyed their own life and has never had a good position to contribute...and the hospital gets taxed the hell out of to pay for his care.

Last edited by subsound; 05-20-2009 at 09:37 AM..

Old 05-27-2009, 05:56 PM

24 posts, read 52,774 times
It's the lack of water in California that is hitting the ag works.... The westside of the "valley" has had it's water cut (Federal/State) for many crops, except permant plantings causing a tremendous loss of job to one of the biggest industries in California, and not really what we all need now on top of eveything else... reduced food production.. higher prices still, and if we don't get water this winter........

Old 02-09-2011, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,705 times
Oregon is ANTI-BUSINESS period.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:01 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,371,813 times
Bend boomed when people with money - on paper - moved in to the area. Now that the on-paper wealth has evaporated, there's no money left there. Bend's boom was a house of credit cards.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:10 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
In contrast to Bend, Dover in Delaware is only 8.2%

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 05:57 AM..

Old 02-12-2011, 07:33 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,545,794 times
Keep in mind, time makes as much or more difference than location.

This thread was started near two years ago.

Interesting graphic of the time/location of unemployment tracked through "The Great Recession." >>>

geographyofarecession

Went to look up specifics on Oregon's current numbers.

Found this site >>> OLMIS - Quality Information, Informed Choices

Has a timeline/location video, as well.

Overall, Oregon's numbers are still pretty high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics