Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2008, 12:04 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,265 times

Advertisements

I am looking at renting a house in NE Bend. I want a location where I can ride my bike to work, downtown, etc. The house is located off on 27th St. in the Providence Park area. It appears that the only direct route downtown would be on US-20. Is this a major highway running through town? Would there be a bike friendly route from this part of town in the downtown area? I would prefer not to ride on busy streets like Neff Rd/Olney Rd. Any feedback/suggestions would be appreciated before I take a lease out on this house. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 05:20 PM

114 posts, read 334,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I am looking at renting a house in NE Bend. I want a location where I can ride my bike to work, downtown, etc. The house is located off on 27th St. in the Providence Park area. It appears that the only direct route downtown would be on US-20. Is this a major highway running through town? Would there be a bike friendly route from this part of town in the downtown area? I would prefer not to ride on busy streets like Neff Rd/Olney Rd. Any feedback/suggestions would be appreciated before I take a lease out on this house. Thanks!
I recall that the city of bend had bike routes designated on their web site with a big map. West side of Bend is a little easier for biking. Tons of bike paths.

You could avoid 20 and go just a block or two south and connect to downtown on what I think is Franklin. There a number of bike shops in town and giving one of them a call could help. Try Hutch's Eastside shop 541 382 6248. They would know the best routes.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:50 PM

480 posts, read 2,465,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Highway 20 is the main east/west corridor through Bend, becoming Greenwood as you approach downtown. 27th Street is at least as busy as 20th, so you are going to be located in a traffic-heavy area. Neff to Olney to Portland to downtown has a bike lane and is probably safer than Hwy 20 because traffic moves more slowly. If biking is how you plan to get around, I'd encourage you to look for a rental closer to the downtown area so that you can travel on less busy roads.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the insight! We have been trying really hard to find a rental closer to town, but still on the eastside because my husband is an RN and wants to be close to the hospital. We have a challenge because of animals and not wanting to sign a year lease, but we are having some luck. We do plan on buying in the future (we are currently homeowners and just sold our house), so we will certainly be more picky about the location when we buy. Living in a rental the first few months will help us to narrow down the perfect location to buy.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:01 PM

480 posts, read 2,465,592 times
My daughter and son-in-law live on the NE side of Bend in a nice townhome with a big yard. The property owner has other properties that he rents and allows pets. My daughter rides her bike to work most days, a few miles south of where they live and she really enjoys it. If it would be helpful, I can send you their landlord's contact information.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendite View Post
My daughter and son-in-law live on the NE side of Bend in a nice townhome with a big yard. The property owner has other properties that he rents and allows pets. My daughter rides her bike to work most days, a few miles south of where they live and she really enjoys it. If it would be helpful, I can send you their landlord's contact information.
You can PM their landlord's contact information. Thank you so much Bendite! Right now I am hopeful that I found a place, and the landlord is willing to do a month-to-month. However, it seems like places keep falling through, so the more rentals I know of, the better off I hope to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend