Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 12:37 AM

154 posts, read 688,684 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of good info on this forum about Bend but I'd like to ask those of you who know, what your general impression or description of Bend would be? How do you characterize the area?

Housing prices have clearly dropped in Bend - any thoughts on the economy/job market there, schools, crime, quality of life for families and young kids? Is there just a glut of houses sitting around empty? Does it feel isolated because of it's location?

thank you to all who can answer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 03:06 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,769 times
Bend has changed tremendously in fifteen years. It's gone from a lumber and logging town to a trendy Western village. Tourism has brought in hundreds of thousands of people over the years and many of them have come back to stay, opening new businesses and bringing new businesses with them.

That said, it has gone from logging and extractive industries as its primary economy to a service-based economy. It still has manufacturing, but now it's aerospace and high tech. Health care is huge because it's a regional destination.

As for whether it feels isolated, that depends on the person. I don't think it necessarily does. I wouldn't mind living there, but I prefer the Valley because there's more people here. Housing has definitely dropped and there is a glut of houses on the market. In migration is still high--Deschutes County is the fastest growing county in the state and has been since 1970, nearly forty years.

I think Bend is great for families. There's little violent crime and access to the outdoors is unparalleled. The air is clean and the schools are good.

Bend has become upscale over the years, too. High end restaurants and retaiilers have come to downtown and the Old Mill District. High end homes are everywhere.

I personally love Bend. There's so much to do and see that you can never do and see it all. If you're planning on moving, good luck.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:49 PM

154 posts, read 688,684 times
thanks so much for your insightful response. A couple other quick questions if you feel like answering?

Any big meth issue there? Does it feel like there's a fair amount of culture for a town of its' size? Is the job market at a standstill? Does it feel conservative, progressive, or like a mix of both?

thanks so much for any and all information - it is much appreciated.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:49 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,769 times
I'm not aware of a big meth issue. You'll find some, I'm sure as it's everywhere now. I'm not aware of any big drug issues.

As for culture, I think you're going to get a mix of everything. You've got the cowboy culture that's firmly entrenched, but you've also got the moneyed culture coming in that supports the arts. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the arts scene in Bend. You'd probably find out more on the web. As for "progressive", I HATE that term because it suggests that anyone who doesn't agree with whatever way the "progressive" wind flows, then you're not "progressive". Like I said, you'll find a mix of everything. Of course, out in the country it's probably more conservative.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:45 AM

114 posts, read 334,554 times
Bend has become more upscale-- but folks would find a wide variety of neighborhoods there.

Great four season weather. Golf courses- probably too many-- and just about every outdoor activity you can think of.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:01 PM

29 posts, read 82,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karelise View Post

Housing prices have clearly dropped in Bend - any thoughts on the economy/job market there, schools, crime, quality of life for families and young kids?
I'm curious about the job market there as well. I'm in school to become a Certified Medical Assistant and should be finished before we move next year. How's the outlook for jobs in that field in the Bend area?

Old 07-07-2008, 10:37 AM

480 posts, read 2,466,283 times
Practically anything in the medical field would be a good path to a job in Bend. Check out the job listings at St. Charles Medical Center and Bend Memorial Clinic - our two largest medical facilities, and see what kinds of positions are open. It will give you an idea of what you might expect when you're done with school

https://prod.fadvhms.com/stcharlesmc...px?__VT=ExtCan

Welcome to Bend Memorial Clinic, PC - Bend Memorial Clinic, PC Jobs

Old 07-07-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendite View Post
Practically anything in the medical field would be a good path to a job in Bend. Check out the job listings at St. Charles Medical Center and Bend Memorial Clinic - our two largest medical facilities, and see what kinds of positions are open. It will give you an idea of what you might expect when you're done with school

https://prod.fadvhms.com/stcharlesmc...px?__VT=ExtCan

Welcome to Bend Memorial Clinic, PC - Bend Memorial Clinic, PC Jobs

Thank you so much Bendite! Maybe you could help me with another question I have?

I am looking into Bend schools for my children and I like what I see about Mountain View High, and Sky View Middle, but I am wondering which elementary school is within those same boundaries? And do you have to live in that area for the kids to go to school there?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:34 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amusing_chaos View Post
Thank you so much Bendite! Maybe you could help me with another question I have?

I am looking into Bend schools for my children and I like what I see about Mountain View High, and Sky View Middle, but I am wondering which elementary school is within those same boundaries? And do you have to live in that area for the kids to go to school there?
You can actually pull up the school district boundaries map on the Bend-LaPine School District website and find the schools within those boundaries. I'm sure there are several elementary schools within those boundaries since Middle and High Schools tend to be larger and feed several Elementary schools into.

I'm a newbie in Bend. We just arrived last Tuesday and so far we are loving it (except for our rental house, which is another story)! The weather has been beautiful. The daytime highs are warming into the upper 80's and 90's, but the evenings cool off quickly. My husband and brother-in-law have already gone hiking and managed to find lots of snow still! I believe almost all of the schools in Bend are good compared with other schools around the nation. I'm working on getting my teaching license in OR (I was a teacher in CO), and looking at the school accountability reports, they are all very good schools. So far I am loving Bend!

Old 07-07-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
You can actually pull up the school district boundaries map on the Bend-LaPine School District website and find the schools within those boundaries. I'm sure there are several elementary schools within those boundaries since Middle and High Schools tend to be larger and feed several Elementary schools into.

I'm a newbie in Bend. We just arrived last Tuesday and so far we are loving it (except for our rental house, which is another story)! The weather has been beautiful. The daytime highs are warming into the upper 80's and 90's, but the evenings cool off quickly. My husband and brother-in-law have already gone hiking and managed to find lots of snow still! I believe almost all of the schools in Bend are good compared with other schools around the nation. I'm working on getting my teaching license in OR (I was a teacher in CO), and looking at the school accountability reports, they are all very good schools. So far I am loving Bend!

Thank you for the info on where to find the boundary maps. Hopefully that will help. If you don't mind my asking, what was the problem with the rental house? We will be renting too when we come next year and I would love to know which places (rental/real estate agencies) to avoid. You can PM me if mentioning names of agencies on here is against the TOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend