Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 01:37 PM

4 posts, read 13,297 times

Advertisements

Returning to Oregon after a several year absense, I'm looking for a place to come home to / permanent address between projects or from which to work remotely. I'm especially looking for information and opinions about neighborhoods, living arrangements, community and activities in Bend, that my lifestyle might fit.

I'm 50+, single at this point, and my kids are grown. I'm physically active in the sense that I'd like to be near people who might enjoy an easygoing 30 mi bike ride (~10-18 mph), a 4-8 mile day hike, or track/off track XC skiing.

It would be especially nice to have neighbors with similar academic / career interests. While I would consider my peers MDs, JDs, PhDs, CEOs, VPs, like many women my career got a late start and my finances don't necessarily put me in those neighborhoods. Also, I don't think I'd want the isolation and upkeep of a large property.

Consulting projects can take me out of the area for weeks to months at a time; alternatively, sometimes I can work remotely from home. Generally I work in the biomedical industry, but I'd take on an environmental project for an opportunity to stay in the area.

It would be nice to be near friendly neighbors with whom I could take a morning or evening walk. And, having coffee/dining within walking distance would be great.

Probably I'd want to rent first, but would consider buying. I've looked at some active adult living communities, and they don't fit my lifestyle. Plus, I enjoy the sounds of diversity, kids playing.

Although I've been out of Oregon for several years, in the past I lived in Portland, and have spent time in and around Bend, and also have been through Bend several times in the last several months and have some sense of the current environment. I'm interested in any and all ideas and opinions.

Thanks.

Last edited by Shosh; 04-03-2010 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 03:24 PM

480 posts, read 2,465,471 times
You might enjoy living in Northwest Crossing on the west side of town. It's a planned community with houses, duplexes and townhomes. Some of the houses are smaller cottages that would be just right for a single person. Northwest Crossing isn't the least expensive part of Bend by any stretch, but it is more affordable with the downturn in the housing market than it once was. There is an area with small shops, including a wine bar, a deli/grocery, a couple of restaurants, and a place to drink coffee and have a pastry. There's a small park and an elementary school in the neighborhood, so there are people of all ages who live there. It is designed to be very walkable, friendly and safe.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:11 PM

4 posts, read 13,297 times
Thanks Bendite for the thoughtful response. I will take a drive through Northwest Crossing.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:35 PM

54 posts, read 293,792 times
Shosh, I agree with Bendite that Northwest Crossing might be a pretty close fit to what you are looking for. Renting first is certainly not a bad idea, but if you are in a position to buy a place the housing prices are very favorable at this time and interest rates are still very low.
If you find that you need a good realtor, I know an excellent realtor who's been in Bend for 14 years. If you would like his contact information send me a direct mail on this forum.
Best Wishes on your future plans,
minorbrew
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend