Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:52 AM

575 posts, read 1,198,744 times

Advertisements

What are the main shopping areas in Hilo and Kona? Interested in the locations of grocery stores and merchants like WalMart. Planning to be on the Big Island for two months and will be buying recreational equipment for my visit and since I'll not be bringing it back to the mainland not looking for the best quality. Know of any second hand type stores for bikes, fishing gear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 08:40 AM

17 posts, read 53,208 times
I know Hilo has Walmart for sure. Kona has many of the big box stores you see on the mainland. Not sure about second hand stuffs though

Old 10-12-2010, 09:49 AM

51 posts, read 119,579 times
hilo has walmart and kona has home depot, and costco

Old 10-12-2010, 10:59 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,132 times
Hilo has Home Depot also . Both have Macyʻs Hilo even has running water. for the best deal try Craigs list for the second hand stuff

Old 10-12-2010, 11:00 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
How much does the Costco have in terms of furniture, beds, couches, etc? I plan to see for myself the next visit to Kona but it would be nice to hear some perspective from folks who have been shopping there for awhile. Mahalo.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:03 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
You can buy fishing gear at Walmart I suppose, but they bring it in from the mainland and sometimes it isn't exactly the best choice for fishing around here. Try Tokunaga's S. Tokunaga Store, Hilo, Hawaii - fishing, diving, archery, darts in Hilo for some great gear which is exactly suited for fishing around here. You'll catch more fish if you have the right gear. They also have some tips on line and hook sizes on their website. They also have paddleboards and other gear, too. Tokunaga's is also an authentic experience, it's a third generation family run fishing store in Hilo since the 20's, I think it was.

For another interesting fishing store, there is J. Hara's in Kurtistown. They are still building their website, but their store is easy to find in Kurtistown. It's at the other end of the same building the post office is in. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside they have loads of fishing gear as well as general merchandise. They might be a little less expensive, although I've not really compared prices since usually with fishing gear I'm looking for specific things and not necessarily the cheapest stuff. I think the last quest was stainless steel double hooks without any solder between them for building lures with. Before that is was glow in the dark powder for lure making, too, I think. The quest before that was for the "perfect" fishing pole which I found at Dino's but I don't think Dino's is there anymore.

A smaller but tasty on a hot day fishing store is Itsu's in Hilo. They have some fishing supplies as well as totally ono ice shave. There's also other snacks like rainbow popcorn, hotdogs and some interesting combinations of things, too.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:08 AM

Costco has some beds and furniture and stuff, although they don't seem to stock the same stuff consistently. There are loads of furniture places in Kona. We like "Teak & Bamboo" which is in the same general area as Costco. When buying furniture for the Big Island, always select solid wood furniture. The pressed wood stuff turns into oatmeal real easily. Probably not as fast on the Kona side as it does in Hilo, but will you always be living in the Kona district for the lifespan of the furniture?

Old 10-12-2010, 11:20 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Costco has some beds and furniture and stuff, although they don't seem to stock the same stuff consistently. There are loads of furniture places in Kona. We like "Teak & Bamboo" which is in the same general area as Costco. When buying furniture for the Big Island, always select solid wood furniture. The pressed wood stuff turns into oatmeal real easily. Probably not as fast on the Kona side as it does in Hilo, but will you always be living in the Kona district for the lifespan of the furniture?
Thanks hotzkatz. We will probably live in Kona, though we may migrate toward Waimea as we age! We are moving from the mainland as soon as the house sells. We are not bringing any furniture with us and have eliminated the particle board IKEA stuff as well...my research told me it turns to mush in no time! It costs so much to move furniture and it won't fit a tropical house anyway. So we're probably going to do Costco, Teak & Bamboo (thanks for the suggestion) and Craigslist in some combination to furnish the house after we arrive. On our trip to buy a house, we'll make a point at stopping by Costso and Teak & Bamboo to get an idea of that they have and what it will cost us. Mahalo for the input and suggestions!

Old 10-12-2010, 12:00 PM

There are loads of things available at yard sales (which happen year round) and on Craig's List, too. Lots of folks are constantly moving to and from the mainland and it's generally too expensive to ship basic household stuff.

Oh, back to the OP - geographically speaking, the main shopping areas of Hilo and Kona aren't all that big. But then, neither town is all that big either. Hilo has most of the larger boring big box stores out along the highway. Start at the airport, turn left as you exit the airport road and most of your strip malls are along that road for the next several miles. If you go out of the airport and turn right, then turn left at the next stoplight (where Ken's House of Pancakes is) you'll go along bayfront to the Hilo Downtown area of shopping. Much more interesting stores over along that way as well as the Hilo Farmer's Market. More scenic, too.

Kona side, there's the shopping in the industrial area which is where Costco's is. Then there is the new shopping area halfway between the industrial area and Kona downtown which is sort of a new strip mall sort of place. Then the touristy downtown area along the bayfront.

Oh, when shopping on an island, when you see something you want, get it right away since it may not be there when you go back and they may not bring it in anymore.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:26 PM

575 posts, read 1,198,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
Hilo has Home Depot also . Both have Macyʻs Hilo even has running water. for the best deal try Craigs list for the second hand stuff
Does Hilo have "hot" running water?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island