Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 01:58 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times

Advertisements

Reading several recent posts on various threads here, I thought it would be fun for those of us who live on the Island of Hawai'i to share some of the things we all take for granted here but visitors and new residents find unusual.

What's the deal with those funky yellow streetlights, anyway?

We're so used to it we don't even think to mention it, but Big Island streetlights ARE unusual. Visitors get confused by them, because they are the same color as caution lights, they aren't very bright and there aren't very many of them outside the most populous areas. And under those lights, everything turns weird colors. What's up with that?

It's all in the name of good science. The astronomical observatories on top of Mauna Kea constistute one of the most important astronomical research sites on Earth, and they depend on clear skies uncontaminated by urban light pollution to be effective. White light streetlights used on the mainland would cause serious harm to the observatory's work because they give off lots of blue light which can't be filtered out on the telescopes.

Matter of fact, the law here is that all outdoor lights have to be directed downward, and over a certain size they have to be the same special sodium vapor yellow in color as the street lights.

There is some news on this topic, as county supervisors are now considering switching to special new LED streetlights that appear white in color without emitting "bad" blue light.

Now you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 02:31 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Talking What's a manapua?

"Hey I saw a couple of shops downtown Hilo with signs that said they had manapua, and now I see manapua listed on the menu at McDonald's. What the heck is a manapua?"

It's a Chinese Steamed Bun, most commonly made with a BBQ pork filling. It's an island favorite, dating back to the days when Chinese workers were brought in to work the plantations. You'll find them for sale all over the place... in convenience stores, gas stations, 7-11s. It's kind of the island equivalent of a hot dog.

They're tasty. You should try one!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:40 AM

575 posts, read 1,198,396 times
Hey, I love this! I'll be spending two months there next summer and this is very helpful. I understand there's a sweet roll, donut kind of thing that's very popular. I can't think of the name.......

Old 01-11-2011, 09:50 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDan View Post
Hey, I love this! I'll be spending two months there next summer and this is very helpful. I understand there's a sweet roll, donut kind of thing that's very popular. I can't think of the name.......
Malasadas, they're quite good.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:35 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,508,473 times
How come all the signs for businesses are so small?

There are very strict signage laws for businesses. This prevents those ugly, giant billboards and other large, obnoxious signs from cluttering up the beautiful views. In most locations, the signs are not allowed to be lighted like you are used to on the mainland, either. (Again, this is to prevent light pollution and help the observatories.) Night driving on the Big Island is not for the faint of heart.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:55 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,676,227 times
How are local residents able to drive 60 mph in a mini van full of goods from Costco over the rutted western end of Saddle Road while drinking cold soda in a cup WITHOUT a top and not spill a drop but visitors can't even get to 20 mph on that same road in their new rental SUV without feeling like they are on the Crazy Shaker ride at an amusment park?

Old 01-11-2011, 10:56 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Reading several recent posts on various threads here, I thought it would be fun for those of us who live on the Island of Hawai'i to share some of the things we all take for granted here but visitors and new residents find unusual.

What's the deal with those funky yellow streetlights, anyway?

We're so used to it we don't even think to mention it, but Big Island streetlights ARE unusual. Visitors get confused by them, because they are the same color as caution lights, they aren't very bright and there aren't very many of them outside the most populous areas. And under those lights, everything turns weird colors. What's up with that?

It's all in the name of good science. The astronomical observatories on top of Mauna Kea constistute one of the most important astronomical research sites on Earth, and they depend on clear skies uncontaminated by urban light pollution to be effective. White light streetlights used on the mainland would cause serious harm to the observatory's work because they give off lots of blue light which can't be filtered out on the telescopes.

Matter of fact, the law here is that all outdoor lights have to be directed downward, and over a certain size they have to be the same special sodium vapor yellow in color as the street lights.

There is some news on this topic, as county supervisors are now considering switching to special new LED streetlights that appear white in color without emitting "bad" blue light.

Now you know.
I have seen these streetlights before...Ft. Lauderdale area, if memory serves. Since these were in a posted "turtle nesting area" I assume the same reason (excess light pollution) is behind the decision to install them.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:57 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Billboards are illegal in this state. I think it was the Outdoor Conservancy or some group such as that who made them illegal years ago and personally, I think it was a brilliant idea.

The reverse of "What is a malasada" is local kids asking "What's a doughnut?" There was a Crispy Creme sale (they fly them in from Maui for special promotions) and the kids wanted to know what a doughnut was. They understood when we told them it was like a malasada with a big hole in the middle of it.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:11 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
"Hey I saw a couple of shops downtown Hilo with signs that said they had manapua, and now I see manapua listed on the menu at McDonald's. What the heck is a manapua?"

It's a Chinese Steamed Bun, most commonly made with a BBQ pork filling. It's an island favorite, dating back to the days when Chinese workers were brought in to work the plantations. You'll find them for sale all over the place... in convenience stores, gas stations, 7-11s. It's kind of the island equivalent of a hot dog.

They're tasty. You should try one!
you are a bad person i had just gotten the craveing for one out of my head and stomach and you bring it up about it ,

i order about 6 of them for the flight home and they made it to the check in counter before they where eaten by me and a lady friend who came on the flight with me to get things done down there ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
How are local residents able to drive 60 mph in a mini van full of goods from Costco over the rutted western end of Saddle Road while drinking cold soda in a cup WITHOUT a top and not spill a drop but visitors can't even get to 20 mph on that same road in their new rental SUV without feeling like they are on the Crazy Shaker ride at an amusment park?
because of the locals know how to drive on the road and the out of towns do not follow the local driveing habits but there they are from

Old 01-11-2011, 11:16 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,523 times
We are moving to the BI and my wife was just asking about Krispy Kremes. Good to know there are occasional pastry airlifts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island