Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2007, 06:55 PM

10 posts, read 38,701 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Big Island in early July to teach! The only problem is, I'm not sure which area I will be working in as of yet. My biggest concern is finding a place to live. I will need to rent. Does anyone know of a good realitor? I plan on taking a job on the Hilo side (but I prefer to be outside of the city) or the Kohala area. Cost of course is an issue. I'd love any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 07:41 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
There's a very big difference between Hilo or Kohala. You will be able to find lots of good rentals at an affordable price in the areas around Hilo. For the Kohala area, try looking in Waikoloa or Waimea, depending on where the school is and how far you truly want to drive.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:39 AM

59 posts, read 312,052 times
Aloha to you Closee !

Where in SC you ? We just moved here from Greenville .

We are currently renting as we have our home built, email me for the rental agency.

As the previous poster stated, there is a large difference between Kohala and Hilo . You really need to know where you will be teaching. Living in Hilo and teaching in the Kohala area ( or vice versa ) would be quite a commute in my opinion.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:33 PM

10 posts, read 38,701 times
Genxor thanks for your reply. I actually lived in Greenville for most of my childhood. Then I lived in Clemson, Easley, now Westminster. (I have moved a lot lately while completing my student teaching). I'm trying to decide which area I want to move to before contacting principals. I know I want to avoid Kona. I have considered the South Hilo District and Even the Puna district closest to Hilo (Keaau). I have heard some areas of the Puna district are sketchy, however, I will have a very limited income. But I'm not moving to vacation! I'm moving to help out whatever school I get a job at. Luxery, and top knotch schools is not really my ideal, I know that may sound strange, but I will just feel like I'm doing more of a service than a job, if I find a place that really needs good help. ... I'm new to this blog thing, so I'm not sure how to e-mail you other than this reply. Do you have any kids? If so I'd love any input on their school experiences. .. I would love to go to Kohala... someone suggested Waimea in another post, but all of the research I've done tells me it's one of the most expensive areas.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:00 AM

59 posts, read 312,052 times
Sorry, no kids , so cant help you with that input.

Some areas of the Puna district are sketchy. Any area , anywhere, has its sketchy parts though. This isnt Greenville.

The entire Hilo / Puna area is growing and changing. You can see million dollar homes on the same street as a shack.

The Hilo / Puna areas are the least expensive on the Big Island.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:44 AM

35 posts, read 183,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by closee View Post
I am moving to the Big Island in early July to teach! The only problem is, I'm not sure which area I will be working in as of yet. My biggest concern is finding a place to live. I will need to rent. Does anyone know of a good realitor? I plan on taking a job on the Hilo side (but I prefer to be outside of the city) or the Kohala area. Cost of course is an issue. I'd love any advice!
Aloha to you,
I'm trying to move from HI to SC. Eleven years is enough. Time to go home (grew up in Roswell). Anyway, since your desire is to help you wil find a job easily. There is the State system plus various private shcools. Be aware that most of the children don't speak English at home. Pidgin in a real language but won't get you into college.
I've lived and rented on 3 islands. The best way is the newspaper daily. There is a lot of competition so you want to get an early appointment and be ready to put money down. West Hawaii Today even says "new" above ads. I think all the online papers are free, at least the classified. Craigslist is a great source. As far as neighborhoods, you just have to be here. Maybe take a cheap shared apt. while you scope it out. Every area has bad sections or road/dog/rooster noise that you can't know about until you see it and talk to locals.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:27 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,921 times
If you look back through some of the other "teaching in Hawaii" posts, you will find a good bit of conversation there that may be helpful to you. The Waiakea complex in Hilo is my recommendation, if you are going to be working on this side. (I worked there when I first moved to the Big Island.)

(PM me if you have other questions or would like contact info for a few teachers who might be able to answer questions about the hiring process for you...click on the blue screen name in the upper left of this box and it will allow you to send a private message. BTW, I grew up in Fort Mill and went to college for a year in SC before beginning to travel...Good luck to you!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island