Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 03:56 PM

270 posts, read 506,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
You can edit your own posts with the edit button in the bottom right

I am sure KauaiHiker appreciates that "edit" info, as I was just quoting him and his comments, in agreement about being careful. And yes, of course edit is there for anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 05:15 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaileio View Post
I don't want to be the target of theft or violence for my wedding ring and other jewelry, but I would love to be able to wear it like I always do here, if that is advisable.
It's only my opinion, but expensive baubles are sufficiently rare enough here that they draw more attention here than they would elsewhere. I remember being at a reception with a lot of movers and shakers at the Volcano Art Center a year or so ago when I became kind of hypnotized by a woman's diamond jewelry. The gallery lighting made it flash and glitter, but I've been around far more impressive flash many times in Hollywood and NYC and elsewhere, so later I checked in with myself about what was happening. What it boiled down to was that it seemed out of place. Wearing a really expensive lei is actually a more appropriate way to impress here.

Quote:
Otherwise, I have a built in safe at my home here on the mainland that I could leave it in, or maybe even a bank safety deposit box?
Forgive me... I'm a professional writer, among other things, and I once spent time with an old jewelry thief, trying to develop a heist script based on his exploits. He LOVED home safes... called them "tuna in a can."

Old 03-07-2012, 06:07 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,953 times
Quote:
I am trying to decide what to do with my jewelry...
From the movie The Descendants, “In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.”

This is true and one of the reasons I love Hawai'i. I have worked very hard and have money because of it. Yet, I hate showing it off. Not that it is wrong for anyone else to do so, just makes me uncomfortable to do it myself and not my style. In my opinion, I would recommend leaving the flashy stuff at home. But it is your life, do what feels right to you.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:21 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
That's why I was wondering if the OP had spent much time in Kona. Seems like Kona is not the kind of place anyone with that kind of jewelry would live anyway. Is the OP pulling our legs?

Old 03-07-2012, 06:40 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,997 times
Quote:
I am trying to decide what to do with my jewelry...
We are moving to Kona, and I am trying to decide whether I should take my jewelry with me.
When someone moves to another location, don't they usually bring their possessions?

Yes, there are people who enjoy wearing their expensive jewelry in Kona. You'd be surprised what some of those jade pieces cost that the neighbor tutu wears.

As for the need to list your jewelry and its value in order to ask a generic question, well no offense, but I hope you never mention the price of something you own to strangers here in person. A label of being someone who thinks they are "High muckamuck" will be hard to shake.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:20 PM

18 posts, read 72,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
That's why I was wondering if the OP had spent much time in Kona. Seems like Kona is not the kind of place anyone with that kind of jewelry would live anyway. Is the OP pulling our legs?
No, I am not pulling your leg, I am just trying to get some opinions from those of you in the know!

We travel to Hawaii several times a year, usually Ko Olina on Oahu.
We have spent a significant amount of time in Hilo - which we LOVE.
And we have spent bit of time on the Kona Side, usually at the Hilton Waikoloa Village - of course on vacation, and have not lived there.

We want to move to the Kona side because whenever we are there, it is just so different than anything else I have ever seen, with all of the black lava rock - I am excited to live there. We figured we would spend a couple of years on each island.

...I NEVER discuss prices on anything... but with the value of these pieces, I just wanted to see from those of you that are living there, if it would be safe to wear these on Kona day to day, as I do here on the mainland.

Thanks Again for ALL of your replies!
-Kai

Old 03-07-2012, 08:27 PM

219 posts, read 497,368 times
I recently moved here myself and there is a crowd that wears their "bling" everywhere. I have even ran into Mrs. Gotrockz at a softball game, so I think it would be fine to bring them. Just use common sense and protect your investment, maybe ship over insured?

Old 03-07-2012, 10:40 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,110 times
Default oh please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
People in Hawai'i are much, much, much less into ostentation and materialistic display than other folks in other places are. I have several very wealthy friends who could drive anything they wanted, but who drive rusty pickup trucks or Jeeps here. It's part of the appeal of being here that they can just relax about all that image stuff and enjoy what's going on.

If it means that much to you, leave it in a safe deposit box while you are here.
this could not be further from the truth. Jewely in the Islands is a status symbol. The more gold you wear and the larger the gem stones the better.
Granted...some of the rocks I've seen on a few fingers couldn't possibly be real but they are flaunted just the same, and pearls (?) it's like mardi gras.
Koale

Old 03-08-2012, 11:46 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Hmm, what jewelry does one wear to match the knee high black rubber boots when going to the grocery store? Does it match the pickup truck? Does it go good with shorts and rubber slippers? Look nice on the beach? On a daily basis, there aren't a lot of "fancy" places to go to. There aren't even all that many fancy places to go to on a seasonal basis.

We have a few older adult folks around here who wear "bling", but they are already known as insecure snooty folks so we don't pay much attention to them. Although, that's just how they are perceived, maybe they aren't that way at all. The high school kids get into bling sometimes although theirs is more of a rhinestone and shiny car accessory thing. Most times the bling isn't real, it's sorta an attraction to sparkly things more than anything else.

People may not even pay that much attention to the jewelry if it is just a wedding ring and watch. But that's what it will be, too, "just" a wedding ring and watch. Most folks aren't going to look and think "oh wow, an Oyster Perpetual!". It will be "oh, shiny watch, wonder what time it is?" Actually, folks don't wear watches much anymore, they look at their cellphones when they want to know what time it is.

As a newcomer, you will be seen as a target, so keep them secure. You may want to either get a safety deposit box for the first year or so or make sure you have a bolted to the floor safe. So, that means hand carrying them on the airplane, then getting them to a bank safety deposit box or the hotel safe right away. No leaving them in a rental car at any time. Not even for several minutes or they could be gone. After you've gotten transitioned to living here, then you can assess the likelihood of thefts in whatever area you choose to live in and decide whether to keep them at home or leave them at the bank.

It's interesting to watch folks who are used to dressing up on the mainland when they move to Hawaii. The first several months they wear all their fancy mainland clothes, do their hair so perfectly, have perfect manicures, wear loads of makeup, etc. About two months after they move, they'll be wearing about half the amount of makeup they started with and have an easier to take care of hairstyle. Within six months, there will be days of no or very little makeup and much more casual clothing. They usually smile more often when they get more comfortable, too.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:42 PM

18 posts, read 72,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

As a newcomer, you will be seen as a target, so keep them secure. You may want to either get a safety deposit box for the first year or so or make sure you have a bolted to the floor safe. So, that means hand carrying them on the airplane, then getting them to a bank safety deposit box or the hotel safe right away. No leaving them in a rental car at any time. Not even for several minutes or they could be gone. After you've gotten transitioned to living here, then you can assess the likelihood of thefts in whatever area you choose to live in and decide whether to keep them at home or leave them at the bank.

It's interesting to watch folks who are used to dressing up on the mainland when they move to Hawaii. The first several months they wear all their fancy mainland clothes, do their hair so perfectly, have perfect manicures, wear loads of makeup, etc. About two months after they move, they'll be wearing about half the amount of makeup they started with and have an easier to take care of hairstyle. Within six months, there will be days of no or very little makeup and much more casual clothing. They usually smile more often when they get more comfortable, too.
Thanks for the great advice!
...LOL... We spent 14 weeks in Ko Olina last year, and I agree, when I first got there, I was perfectly dressed and always had my hair done etc., but by the time we left 14 weeks later, I was definitely MUCH more casual in every aspect! ...but I still wore my wedding ring & watch every day (even swimming in the ocean and playing golf) , and have worn it every day since we were married 14 years ago!
I know that it can be perceived as flashy, but really, to me, it is just so much more... my wedding ring, and I don't really ever put too much thought into wearing it, but moving to such a different culture, I want to be smart and safe...
Thanks Again for all of your responses!!
-Kai
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island