Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:49 PM

14 posts, read 26,538 times

Advertisements

As title says, my wife and I are moving to Hawaii on the 20th. Looking at a lot of places and listed all the places to see.

I know don't rent site unseen so I haven't staying in a resort for 6 days till we find something.

As far as work most of my work is done by phone, my wife does Human Resources from home.

It's just us no kids, I'm 25 she is 23.

I would actually love to Sell my portion of the business and work somewhere on Big Island. I am a guy who has done it all, fast food at 16, production for 6 years, store manager of a retail store, co own a business.

I would love to work retail again. I have always had a job don't believe in not working.

Do you think with my dertimination I can find a job on Big Island? I am willing to work Minimum wage to high. I don't turn down job offers. When so many people can't work I would refuse to turn down a job.

I love experiences so why not make a new one. Wife and I are looking to make BI home.

Well that's it.

Thanks you for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 11:07 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times
Don't stay in a resort. Utilize vrbo.com or homeaway.com and rent a vacation rental or a condo. Rent in the area you are interested in living in.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:18 PM

I was trying to stay in just a rustic off grid cabin to be honest. But the sight unseen stuff scares me. I don't want my wife to get wrong idea by the resort. Lol.

I guess I can do a hotel. And we are not really subject to where want to live yet what part.

We love hiking we love movies, love sun shine but nothing like some good rain to show the lush green.

Which is why we want to stay somewhere for a week to decide lol.

Thanks for the response.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:49 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,612 times
Take two weeks, one on the East side (Hilo) and one on the West side (Kona). You can explore the south from Hilo, and the north from Kona.

Look into condos in Kona or Waikoloa Village (not resort) for a week. I don't know about Hilo side for the other week, but someone will chime in.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:21 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
If movies are a big part of your life, there aren't that many theaters on the island so that will limit your areas if you want to live close to them. Unless, of course, you do movies at home or from your iPad or whatever. I think the largest movie screen is in Honokaa at the People's Theater. It shows about three movies a week and it is $6 to get in. Popcorn is $2 or $3, I think. The theater was built in 1910 and most of the fixtures are original so it's a historic theater. Hilo has several newer multi-plex type movie places, although by "several" take that to mean "two". They have much smaller screens. One screens newer releases at full price and one shows re-runs for a dollar or two. I think the popcorn is more expensive than the movies at the discount Kress theater and the popcorn isn't that expensive. The Akebono in Pahoa doesn't screen movies anymore, I don't think. I'm not sure if the Aloha theater (in Kealakehe? Kainalu? Kona disctrict below Kailua somewhere) still screens movies or not. There's one in Waimea which shows a few movies a week? Or is it mostly live theater? Kailua in the Kona district has a multi-plex type theater. There might be a theater in the Kohala district, but I'm not sure. There's one at the Kileaua Military Camp, I think, although that might be live theater.

What about B & B's? You could stay at Akiko's Buddhist Bed & Breakfast along the Hamakua coast and sit zazen at 5:00 am if you wanted. There's a B & B for all different sorts of tastes. They are usually less expensive than a hotel and much more like being at home so you'll get the feel of living here right away. There's another B & B above the rim of Waipio valley which folks like. If you want upscale, there's one over near Honomu called "Palm's Cliffside" which is really upscale. There's also a "Keoni's Coffeeshack" over near Laupahoehoe if you want lush and green and less expensive than hotels.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:28 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X T G X View Post
As title says, my wife and I are moving to Hawaii on the 20th. Looking at a lot of places and listed all the places to see.

I know don't rent site unseen so I haven't staying in a resort for 6 days till we find something.

As far as work most of my work is done by phone, my wife does Human Resources from home.

It's just us no kids, I'm 25 she is 23.

I would actually love to Sell my portion of the business and work somewhere on Big Island. I am a guy who has done it all, fast food at 16, production for 6 years, store manager of a retail store, co own a business.

I would love to work retail again. I have always had a job don't believe in not working.

Do you think with my dertimination I can find a job on Big Island? I am willing to work Minimum wage to high. I don't turn down job offers. When so many people can't work I would refuse to turn down a job.

I love experiences so why not make a new one. Wife and I are looking to make BI home.

Well that's it.

Thanks you for reading
At age 25, NOBODY has done it all.

Be prepared to work 2-3 part time jobs.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:38 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If movies are a big part of your life, there aren't that many theaters on the island so that will limit your areas if you want to live close to them.
As usual, Hotzcatz does a thorough job of 'splainin' things.

You're young enough that this might work for you... hostels are the least expensive way to stay for a while until you figure things out. Some are sketchy, some are great.

Here's one that is great... I know the Japanese couple that runs it... Holo Holo In, in Volcano. $19 a night per person (last time I checked). Dorm style, very very clean, hot hot showers, huge communal kitchen with all handmade raku tableware. It's a half hour south of Hilo, and 4,000 feet above it. A mile and a half to the Volcanoes National park. Lovely place, lovely hosts.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
At age 25, NOBODY has done it all.

Be prepared to work 2-3 part time jobs.
Luckily we saved some money from selling a old company. I don't mind working 2-3 jobs but I doubt I will have too.

I do thank you all for the responses and am currently looking at some short term rent places.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:52 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
As usual, Hotzcatz does a thorough job of 'splainin' things.

You're young enough that this might work for you... hostels are the least expensive way to stay for a while until you figure things out. Some are sketchy, some are great.

Here's one that is great... I know the Japanese couple that runs it... Holo Holo In, in Volcano. $19 a night per person (last time I checked). Dorm style, very very clean, hot hot showers, huge communal kitchen with all handmade raku tableware. It's a half hour south of Hilo, and 4,000 feet above it. A mile and a half to the Volcanoes National park. Lovely place, lovely hosts.
Shootz! Holo Holo In sounds lovely! Maybe we should "vacation" to the other side of Hilo. That's a reasonable rate and about the same price as driving home would be (the van gets dreadful gas mileage). Go visit Volcanoes and even stay overnight. I don't suppose they'd let us bring two border collies?

Old 03-10-2012, 04:02 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,612 times
Border Collies are the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island