Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2012, 01:56 PM

32,664 posts, read 48,104,757 times

Advertisements

I know that there is an artist colony in Volcano. Are there art galleries where local artists can be viewed? And perhaps indulge in a purchase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 03:00 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,457,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I know that there is an artist colony in Volcano. Are there art galleries where local artists can be viewed? And perhaps indulge in a purchase?
Yes. The non-profit Volcano Arts Center (VAC) operates a stunning gallery inside the park, in a historic inn building from the 1800s. Beautiful fine arts and crafts, plus special shows from time to time.

Volcano Art Center Gallery is located on Crater Rim Drive in Hawai`i Volcanoes National Park, next to the Visitors' Center. Park entrance fees may apply. Open 9 to 5 pm daily (except Christmas Day). Toll Free (866) 967-7565 On Island (808) 967-7565

http://volcanoartcenter.org/in-a-around-volcano/gallery

They also have some art hanging in their own building outside the park, on Old Volcano Road, and do special gallery art shows and sales periodically.

Volcano Art Center Niaulani Campus, 19-4074 Old Volcano Road in Volcano Village, Hawaii.

Phone (808) 967-8222

Volcano Art Center - Home

Also, Volcano Garden Arts, at 19-3834 Old Volcano Road (opposite end of the village from VAC) is run by artist Ira Ono. Has fine art by many artists, crafts, plants, planters, orchids... plus a very nice gourmet cafe for lunch. It's a very eclectic walkaround of gallery and greenhouse space. Don't miss the mellow goat in back, surrounded by statues of the Japanese Immortals. Near it is a large Tree Tomato, if you've never seen one. Looks like a tree full of easter eggs to me. There's also a Zen Meditation grove at the rear. 10 am - 4 pm Tues - Sunday

Phone: 808 985-8979
Volcano Garden Arts : Contemporary Hawaiian Art

The biggest event of the year in the Village is the Volcano Artists Hui Studio Tour in November, when a dozen or more top artists open their working studios for a public tour. This is a phenomenal show every year, and people come from neighbor islands and the mainland to attend. Thanksgiving weekend, Friday, Saturday and Sunday 10am - 4 pm. Pottery, painting, sculpture, prints, fiber art, glass... you name it.

One of my favorite stops on the tour is visiting the sculpture studio of Randy Takaki, and seeeing a collection of his famous "Guardian" sculptures all grouped together, as well as other work by Randy and others. Here's a peek: Guardian Sculptures by Randy Takaki

Volcano Village Artists Hui Home

Old 09-16-2012, 01:43 AM

32,664 posts, read 48,104,757 times
Thank you, Open D, for taking the time to make a list of the places to view local art.

That studio tour in November sounds like it should not be missed.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:28 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,457,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Thank you, Open D, for taking the time to make a list of the places to view local art. That studio tour in November sounds like it should not be missed.
You're welcome. I love to share what I know, and I especially love to share what I enjoy.

And yes, the studio tour the weekend after Thanksgiving Thursday, this will be the 27th year, is quite remarkable. You get an entirely different take on art and crafts when you can visit the artists and craftspeople in their studio, talk to them, get a sense of who they are and where and how they work.

There are a number of potters in the hui (a hui is a Hawaiian cooperative group). I think the cool, damp weather in Volcano works very well for potters, because they have a long history in the area. One is a raku artist who lives at the northwest corner of Old Volcano Road and Wright Road. Although she puts a sign out and she welcomes visitors much of the time, I somehow never made it up the driveway until the tour, and then had a fascinating discussion with her about her work and got to see a wide range of her work. And I got to meet her husband, who rents out his small backhoe, suitable for landscape work.

Across the road is a woman who does witty and whimsical fiber art, and several other artists display with her. Down the road a quarter mile and a jog makai (toward the ocean) is a potter who does high fired functional pottery, like rice bowls and mugs and bud vases. Visiting his place, seeing the big kiln he built in an outdoor workshop and talking to him about his work, I got a very different sense of the guy than I had from just buying random pieces from him for my kitchen at the Sunday farmers market. Then up Hunani Road and a zag and a zig up to the end of a gravel road is another raku potter, but this one specializes in matched sets of beautiful but tough dinnerware. Originally a scientist at the National Park, he made a career change a number of years ago (too much politics!) and turned a personal passion into his livelihood. Now his work is sold all over the islands, including at Dragon Mama's on the bayfront in old Hilo. And at the local hostel called Holo Holo In (i.e., "wander in"), which largely caters to Japanese tourists and American academics, the kitchen cabinets are filled with his dinnerware, which is where I first encountered them and fell in love with them.

And then there are the painters, and the printmakers, and the sculptors. With wood fired stoves chasing the chill away and homemade breads and cookies out for the nibbling, each studio is different from the next. Randy Takai's studio is in an old barn on Kilauea Rd. A hundred years ago the area was mostly small truck farms owned by people of Japanese descent. Now his sturdy barn has found new life as the studio and gallery of a brilliant artist who crafts old weathered wood into fine art, including the brooding sentinel-like figures he calls "Guardians." The emotional power of his work is palpable, and I was literally moved to tears as I took it in, and spoke with him about his work. Then the ladies in front who were displaying art post cards and jewelry restored me with hot chai and gingerbread.

And so, so much more... including all the great people you get to talk story with as they view the art along with you.

So yeah, it should not be missed.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:51 AM

406 posts, read 866,426 times
OpenD have you visited the hot glass studio in volcano? See 2400 Fahrenheit Art Glass (Hawaii) - Glassblowing Vases, Sculptures, Platters, Bowls... .

I've done some glassblowing - I took a glassblowing class at Columbus College of Art and Design a bunch of years ago because I wanted to do hot glass as a retirement income venture. Time and money have not come together at the same time for me to get into it like I wanted.

I've also helped build the first furnace at Glass Axis Glass Axis | Glass Art Studio and some other work on the studio, and was on their Board of Trustees for around 6 years.

I took a bead making class at Glass Axis also. I do have a torch, but have not set it up here yet. Hopefully in the near future I can get it set up and start making beads and sculptures. Then, if they sell, maybe I can afford to rent studio time to make larger items.

Mickey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island