Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2012, 01:01 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

Because of the termites, a wooden deck might not be the best choice. So what is used for patio construction on Hawaii?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 01:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Wood - here's mine - good old fashioned wood. There is wood everywhere in Hawaii - you get it treated to resist termites.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:52 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,996 times
My deck is that brown recycled plastic "boards." It's 20 years old (came with the house) and seems to be doing well. It did get a bit rougher when we power-washed it, so now we avoid that--but it still looks and feels nice. The supporting structure is regular wood. Usually, a deck is up in the air, or at least on post & pier like the house, so you can inspect underneath pretty easy for termites, unlike a wall or window.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:15 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
Our lanai is concrete as it is ground level. Our second story lanai is painted wood. Which we have to repaint every two or three years In the years since our house was built in 2005 we have found no evidence of termites.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:26 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times
This discussion is not about 'Lanai', it's about patios... Stick to the subject matter...

Wiedersehen

Old 10-29-2012, 11:32 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
I'm beginning to wonder if Oregon has ever been to Hawaii. Wood is such a common building material in Hawaii and in another post you suggested we don't have a lot of pests to worry about if a farmer (we have the most). Have you been here?

Old 10-30-2012, 12:02 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times
I'm gonna get over to the Islands one of these days... however, when building your patio, don't use lumber treated with borosilicate, I think that's the stuff.. It'll wash out when the lumber gets wet. And, make sure you retreat any cut edges, the termites just need a way into the lumber, once inside, they'll eat their way right to the treated surface of the lumber.... When I DO finally get to Hawaii, I really want to check out the pineapple aisle,, think it's named 'Patio'. Must be nice.

aloha, SF, CLEAN SWEEP BABY!!!!!! like a friggin dyson

Old 10-30-2012, 03:23 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Because of the termites, a wooden deck might not be the best choice. So what is used for patio construction on Hawaii?
Many of the houses are constructed of wood. Many of the decks are constructed of wood. Many of the fences are constructed of wood. Thus the need to educate yourself on the indicators of both dry wood termites and ground termites, and to be very proactive if you suspect a problem (ie call in a professional).

Old 10-30-2012, 05:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Patio is not a word much used in Hawai'i. It pretty much pegs you as a malahini.

Despite the hazards from termites and from wood rot, wood is still a very, very popular building material in Hawai'i, especially for private homes and their decks and lanais. Take a little stroll through the HPM lumber yard in Hilo, for example and you'll be disabused of any notion to the contrary.

Building codes (each county administers their own) require the use of treated lumber for any wood found within 12" of the ground. Some people use it more extensively for parts of a structure which are exposed to a lot of rain, such as stairs and hand rails. Paint and preservative wood treatments are widely used to make wood last longer. But starting with the right treated wood is key, as are mediation steps, such as the use of metal termite shields between post and pier, and pesticide treatment of the surrounding soil.

U of H, as always has good info on treated wood for use in Hawai'i.

University of Hawaii Termite Project - Wood Preservatives

Old 11-15-2012, 11:10 AM

19 posts, read 26,197 times
Default That's great info, OpenD

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island