Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 08:14 PM

138 posts, read 355,221 times

Advertisements

There is a red colored bird I've seen up the hill from downtown Hilo. Does anyone know what species this is? is it native? Unfortunately I haven't been able to get a picture of one but it has dramatic red coloring similiar to a parrot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 08:53 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,591,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking View Post
There is a red colored bird I've seen up the hill from downtown Hilo. Does anyone know what species this is? is it native? Unfortunately I haven't been able to get a picture of one but it has dramatic red coloring similiar to a parrot.

Aloha,

Up here in Hilo by the boiling pots we have red cardinals. I have a pair in my back yard and the female comes and talks to me every morning. I was surprised to see them we had them in NY.

I hope were talking about the same bird I know of only one parrot on the big Island and their green on the Kona side.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:39 AM

16 posts, read 66,821 times
Yeah red bird is a Cardinal, theres choke up here in the Acres!

Old 05-23-2010, 12:12 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,515,746 times
Supposedly, a priest brought them over from Indiana in the early 1900's. They have changed/adapted their mainland singing a bit. We have a male that sits on the birdfeeder and eats only the sunflower seeds, then turns and looks at the window and begins yelling at me. I then have to go out and shake the birdfeeder to get more sunflower seeds to come out for him. He has me trained.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Supposedly, a priest brought them over from Indiana in the early 1900's. They have changed/adapted their mainland singing a bit. We have a male that sits on the birdfeeder and eats only the sunflower seeds, then turns and looks at the window and begins yelling at me. I then have to go out and shake the birdfeeder to get more sunflower seeds to come out for him. He has me trained.
Nice to see the bird is smarter ?

lol

Old 05-23-2010, 02:35 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,515,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
Nice to see the bird is smarter ?

lol
Kinda sad, isn't it?

Old 05-23-2010, 04:21 PM

138 posts, read 355,221 times
Thanks for the info.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:41 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
There is a red cardinal as well as a light gray/white cardinal with a red head. The males will have much brighter colors than the females.

There have also been a lot of cage birds escaped over the years who have interbred with the local birds so we now get what look like sparrows in bright yellows, oranges and reds, too. We also have a lot of the exotic small finches running loose in the wild now, too. I think they were escaped cage birds originally. Java Rice birds are on Oahu and Hawaii islands that I know of. I've been starting to see some really small birds in flocks now, too.

I suspect, of the bird species we have, if they live on insects their populations will be declining because of the coqui frogs eating all their food. Birds which eat seeds will probably continue to thrive, though.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There is a red cardinal as well as a light gray/white cardinal with a red head. The males will have much brighter colors than the females.

There have also been a lot of cage birds escaped over the years who have interbred with the local birds so we now get what look like sparrows in bright yellows, oranges and reds, too. We also have a lot of the exotic small finches running loose in the wild now, too. I think they were escaped cage birds originally. Java Rice birds are on Oahu and Hawaii islands that I know of. I've been starting to see some really small birds in flocks now, too.

I suspect, of the bird species we have, if they live on insects their populations will be declining because of the coqui frogs eating all their food. Birds which eat seeds will probably continue to thrive, though.
Giggle ya I like the little cardinal with the red head white and gray I call them Gilligan birds when I used to visit Kona I had 1 trained to eat from my hand inside the condo

Old 05-24-2010, 01:21 PM

145 posts, read 451,234 times
Ever so slightly off topic but I just had to report my experience with cardinals today (here in Ga. - not Hi.). I was sitting on the front porch reading when out of the corner of my eye I saw the shadow of a bird flying over just in front of the porch. When the bird itself came into my field of vision I saw that it was a cardinal - a bright red male. He then landed in a tree nearby. Just after that, another bird came swooping in ON the porch. It lit on the suspention chain of the swing chair I was sitting in right above my head!! I froze and it just sat there and I saw it was a female cardinal (much more subdued red-blush grey). She sat there forever. I started talking to her and she twittered back before flying away. It felt for a moment as though I had dropped into the wonderful world of Disney. :-p
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island