Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 06:35 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Hunter said that while the road up the mountain is open to the public, it is dangerous for anyone to attempt the drive to the summit without a four-wheel-drive vehicle
Nor to try to park your car without engaging Park, it would seem.

I don't know which is more newsworthy, the fact that the rental car went flying 800 feet, and did at least a 1 1/2 gainer before landing... or that it took 9 days to retrieve the wrecked car due to foul weather and heavy snow on the slope.

"So kids, this is why you need to bring a warm jacket with you!"

Rental car towed from slope of Mauna Kea | Hawaii Tribune Herald
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 11:18 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,409 times
Wow, they were lucky they were out of the car...

Old 03-02-2013, 12:30 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
I hope they didn't decline the optional insurance that Alamo usually offers...

Old 03-03-2013, 12:46 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
If they had been in the car, it wouldn't have rolled over the edge. They got out of the car and didn't put it in park. Many tourists forget to pack their brains when going on vacation. Now, does Alamo's insurance cover that sort of thing?

Old 03-03-2013, 12:05 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If they had been in the car, it wouldn't have rolled over the edge. They got out of the car and didn't put it in park. Many tourists forget to pack their brains when going on vacation. Now, does Alamo's insurance cover that sort of thing?
Surprisingly, Alamo's "optional collision damage waiver (CDW)" can cover such a thing as long as the original rental agreement wasn't violated.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Surprisingly, Alamo's "optional collision damage waiver (CDW)" can cover such a thing as long as the original rental agreement wasn't violated.
Anybody know if it was or was not? The road up to the observatory used to be prohibited on at least some car rental agreements, along with the rough road to Southpoint, and the steep road down to Waipio Valley. The old ban on using Saddle Road was lifted a while back, due to all the roadwork and improvements, but I was under the impression that the observatory itself was still out of bounds except for 4X4 vehicles.

Anybody know?

Last edited by OpenD; 03-03-2013 at 03:39 PM..

Old 03-03-2013, 04:13 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
That's why we make sure that our own car insurance covers rentals when we travel. I'm sure any car rental agency is going to do their best to get out of covering the renter. And how many people choose to take the optional CDW when renting a car?

Old 03-03-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
That's why we make sure that our own car insurance covers rentals when we travel. I'm sure any car rental agency is going to do their best to get out of covering the renter. And how many people choose to take the optional CDW when renting a car?
But does your own car insurance cover you if you deliberately violate the terms of the rental contract? The ones which void their insurance coverage in certain instances, such as by driving on beaches or on certain roads?

Old 03-06-2013, 03:23 PM

8 posts, read 11,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
But does your own car insurance cover you if you deliberately violate the terms of the rental contract? The ones which void their insurance coverage in certain instances, such as by driving on beaches or on certain roads?
Is forgetting to put your car in park a violation or is it an accident?
Is going to the top of Mauna Kea a violation of a any of the Hawaii based car rental companies a violation? I seriously doubt it especially after the ban was lifted from traveling saddle.
If it was a violation the rental company would have to verbally warn you of locations considered a violation. After that the rest is on you.

Besides why would one want to buy extra coverage from the rental service or from their own auto insurer, you are just throwing $$ away. I believe a lot of people don't know when a credit card transactions is used to contract a car rental agreement they all have in their policy an insurance that automatically will cover any cost for damage sustained.
It is not something that is widely known but it is there. I laugh when they ask if I want to purchase such additional nonsense, nor would I consider involving my auto policy holder to be a part of my vacation plans. Personally I would rather spend that money supporting a local business or event.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:41 PM

312 posts, read 1,374,579 times
I was under the impression that since it's not 4WD, it's in violation as soon as it goes any further than the visitor information station, therefore this would not be covered under any insurance Alamo would have offered? That would be my guess. At least that's the way it was years ago when I worked up there.

The original news story said that the driver got out, and when the car started to roll, the passenger jumped out of their door and then the car rolled over the edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island