Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 04:43 PM

575 posts, read 1,198,278 times

Advertisements

There are a number of realty shows, like Buying Alaska, Buying the Bayou, Buying Beaches and Buying Hawaii. My favorite is "Buying Hawaii." The clients are usually shown three properties and then by show's end pick one of the three. I've often wondered where they get the buyers and in some cases how the buyer can afford the property. One example that comes to mind was either an AF or Navy officer buying place on Oahu with a budget of more than (as I recall) $600K and this guy was a junior officer. I retired as a senior Army officer, but could never afford a place like that. Maybe his wife was rich.

I just watched a show in which a young couple bought a place in Ocean View and their budget was $250K. They were from NYC and the guy was a personal trainer and I don't recall what the girl did, but it didn't seem they were looking for work. They were caught by surprise about the catchment system and alternative power sources.

It's pretty neat to watch the "Buying Hawaii" show. Based on the way some discuss what they had on the mainland and surprised with what they find in Hawaii I don't think some will last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 05:22 PM
Due

245 posts, read 379,960 times
I agree some of the shows are or can be interesting.
But if you're knowledgeable about real estate and the shows, then it becomes apparent that much or all of it is scripted and/or staged.

I was a guest for multiple TV news/other programs about a unique real estate project; we were told what to say, had multiple takes: some with different stances, how & where to walk, stand, etc.... ad nauseam. It took hours to film for 15 minutes of air time.

Regardless, it was interesting.

Last edited by Due; 09-02-2014 at 05:36 PM..

Old 09-02-2014, 05:35 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Was driving home this past weekend and saw an open house sign for a Hawaii Life.

1370 Akalani Place, Enchanted Lake, HI 96734 - Home for Sale - Hawaii Life

Was told by the real estate agent (they had 2 agents at the house, so a little odd) they were going to film the house in the upcoming week for an episode on HGTV.

I'm very active in real estate here on Oahu - and I politely asked, how did you come up with the price ($730K, 962 sq ft, small lot, no enclosed garage, 3 bedroom 1 bath, built in 1958 so one of the original pre-Pali highway homes).

One agent says - high or low? I said to them - way too high, like not even close high, like 20% over what I thought it was worth. We agreed to disagree - they went so far to say they thought it would go over asking. Suffice it to say, I'd love to be wrong - but my personal opinion is the price is way overly inflated and done so solely for the TV show.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:22 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,098,728 times
A co-worker of mine was invited to be on the show by another agent who worked in his agent's office. The producers for the show were looking for a specific set of people...a couple who had bought in the last 6 months in a specific price range. It's for the upcoming episode where they compare a couple buying in a vacation spot on the mainland vs buying in hawaii.

Seems the whole show is very fake. They look for people who have bought, have them view other properties, then chose the one they already bought. They were paying $250 per person per day, so $500 for this couple to be on the show.

My co-worker turned it down because they didn't want to be on TV. He also said that it was kinda lame that the show website has video's of "picky buyers" when it's the show that makes them act like they are picky in the first place.

I've watched the show a couple times and think it is an entertaining show. Real or not. haha

Old 09-02-2014, 07:29 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
We've discussed this show pretty thoroughly in the past. Here's the link to that thread...

Hawaii Life

The bottom line is that it's done by a production company in New York (New York CITY! ) which scripts out shows in a joint venture with a Hawai'i Real Estate company, and then uses amateurs to act them out in a faux-reality format. It's a cheapy cheap method of producing television programming, and should be viewed, if at all, for what it is... lame drama shot in some attractive locations. Factual integrity? Absolutely not required.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:42 PM

83 posts, read 128,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDan View Post
There are a number of realty shows, like Buying Alaska, Buying the Bayou, Buying Beaches and Buying Hawaii. My favorite is "Buying Hawaii." The clients are usually shown three properties and then by show's end pick one of the three. I've often wondered where they get the buyers and in some cases how the buyer can afford the property. One example that comes to mind was either an AF or Navy officer buying place on Oahu with a budget of more than (as I recall) $600K and this guy was a junior officer. I retired as a senior Army officer, but could never afford a place like that. Maybe his wife was rich.

I just watched a show in which a young couple bought a place in Ocean View and their budget was $250K. They were from NYC and the guy was a personal trainer and I don't recall what the girl did, but it didn't seem they were looking for work. They were caught by surprise about the catchment system and alternative power sources.

It's pretty neat to watch the "Buying Hawaii" show. Based on the way some discuss what they had on the mainland and surprised with what they find in Hawaii I don't think some will last.
-------------------
The gal was a soccer coach (I think) anyway they ended up buying a nice place in Capt. Cook so why would they go to barren Ocean View and another place that was a lot nicer place (I forgot where).
The series looks fixed to me but it had a lot of info that I'm using for my search.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:47 PM

268 posts, read 382,708 times
I have to admit I watch Hawaii Life and Buying Hawaii, but I realize it's scripted/planned/produced and go into it with that in mind. I just like to see what the houses look like! I think as long as you view it as entertainment and not 100% factual you can enjoy it.

Honestly Hawaii Life is the show that is responsible for taking my dream of living in Hawaii (but never thought I could do it) and moved it to the 'Hey, I might just be able to do that if I plan properly" category. One of the shows on the BI opened my eyes to the cost of real estate there, and in some cases, is less expensive than where I live in California.

With that said, this forum and another Puna focused one opened my eyes to the realities of living on the BI. So watch it with a grain of salt but enjoy the scenery!

Old 09-03-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
We've discussed this show pretty thoroughly in the past. Here's the link to that thread...

Hawaii Life

The bottom line is that it's done by a production company in New York (New York CITY! ) which scripts out shows in a joint venture with a Hawai'i Real Estate company, and then uses amateurs to act them out in a faux-reality format. It's a cheapy cheap method of producing television programming, and should be viewed, if at all, for what it is... lame drama shot in some attractive locations. Factual integrity? Absolutely not required.

Not the same show. The one I watched is "Buying Hawaii," on Destination America. I get it on Direct TV.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:57 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,213,194 times
Not the same show but it has the same script. Look for someone that has bought a house, have them pretend to look at two others and choose theirs, having some flimsy excuses about the rejected homes.

All said I will still watch it, but I will watch anything that has Hawaii in it!

Old 09-04-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Not the same show but it has the same script. Look for someone that has bought a house, have them pretend to look at two others and choose theirs, having some flimsy excuses about the rejected homes.

All said I will still watch it, but I will watch anything that has Hawaii in it!

Me, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island