Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 01:20 PM

16 posts, read 25,101 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I just wanted to ask if you think I can make it on the Big Island.

I am 41, male, born in Asia and my family came to America when I was 2. I have only lived in Texas but did spend a month in Hilo. I love Hilo except all the rain. I wanted to check out living in other parts of the island. I am self-employed so I won't have to find a job(also have plenty saved up). I also know how to cook so food cost isn't a real issue for me. Also just looking to rent and move to different areas to see which part of the island suits me best.

Things I love about the island is the Aloha spirit, the farmers market and access to fresh fish/seafood, the ocean/beaches and the weather. It is so beautiful there, I miss it.

When I was there last year, I did some of the tourist thing and also went shopping for food to see how it be to live as a local. Love KTA, it had food for my pallate. I did not see any racism there but I am not white either. Maybe I just didn't notice it. The people in Hawaii treated me nicely. But I did see a fight in a bar in Hilo, they were locals.(to be fair, I see fights in bars here in Texas too)

I have spent hours reading the moving to island post and somewhat weary now. Do most people fail in Hawaii because they can not afford it or they are white(ha'ole) or they act entitled?

I also like to thank all the members who shared information about the Big Island. I have learned a lot from this site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 01:28 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,691,901 times
I think that you've pretty well covered most of the issues. You've done the right thing first -- reading the many threads on this forum.

What we found when we did our research is that people fail here because (1) the economy is bad and it's hard to find and/or keep a job, (2) health issues (including vog and just lack of the necessary level of care), (3) miss their family on the mainland (mainly kids and grandkids), (4) need to go take care of elderly parents. Also, some people just have trouble making friends or fitting into the community. As has been discussed, most people are not met with open arms until they've proven that they'll be around for a while.

It sounds like you've got a good plan. Plenty of money saved up, willing to rent and check out different areas, etc. I think you should just plan to come over for a couple of months and try it out!

Old 12-01-2013, 07:47 PM

Default Thanks for the response Dreaming of Hawaii

I just don't think a couple of months will cut it. My plan was to stay in an area for a few months at time. This way I get a better feel of the area. I was in Hilo for a month and time just flew by. My plan is to buy a used car and rent rooms off of Craig's List. I appreciate your advice and all the information that you provided for me.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:06 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,072,228 times
Since you can bring your employment with you, it should work fine. Being Asian helps, too. Having a Texas accent should be a hoot as well. It should be an interesting icebreaker, you'll look like you're from "around here" but then a Texas accent will get everyone's attention.

It is a good idea to rent in different areas for several months until you find the sweet spot. Even moving a few miles one way or another can make a huge change in the weather as well as access to where ever you want to go.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:35 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence hotzcatz. But I have trained myself not to talk with a Texas accent....I guess I could always bring it back. When I travel, people think I am either from Hawaii or California. I do not look like the typical Asian(short). I am 6' 195lbs. I get asked if I am half or mixed because of my size.

I was in a Seed Shop in Honokaa and the local lady working in the shop was surprised when I spoke to her. She told me I look like a local but sounded like a ha'ole. She was very nice to me and had a big smile the whole time. She made me feel at home...I love the Aloha spirit.

The areas I am interested in are Waimea, Hawi, Captain Cook, Pahoa. Maybe Kona and Waikaloa...it just seems really crowded there with a lot of tourist. It also feels like I'm on the moon when driving north of Kona to Hapuna. I prefer the lush, green scenery. Any pros and cons about these areas? Vog, traffic, ect... I would like to be near a famers market and a gym or a nice swimming area(need my exercise).

I really love Hilo, just want a little less rain since I want to get a scooter(I ride all the time here in TX). I don't mind riding in the rain, just scared that someone may not see me or pull out in front of me. If I don't like any of the areas, I know I can live in Hilo and not ride when it rains hard, but that can be hard to predict at times. It rained for a week straight last year when I was there. They had flood and falling rocks warnings, which locals told me that was not the norm.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:31 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,526,149 times
Assuming by self-employed, you mean a computer-related job? If so, keep your Texas resident status by any means possible.
Hawaii has some pretty high state income tax rates, which hit 10% of your adjusted income pretty quickly (not much over $100k).

By your forum name - are you in the Dallas area?

Old 12-03-2013, 09:50 PM

293 posts, read 362,505 times
Will they also hit your SS and VA incomes? I've heard that some states will hit your disability income.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:04 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,072,228 times
If what you do requires the internet, Honokaa is supposed to get town wide wifi soon. Then you'd be able to hang out in town and still work? Probably too many distractions, though.

The green side of Waimea or Hawi might be suitable for what you're looking for. There is a lot less crime up along the coast (I guess that's North) than below Hilo (which would be South if we were looking at maps).

Old 12-03-2013, 11:20 PM

I invest and trade(not a day trader. I swing trade and have some long positions). And yes I will keep my Teaxas DL. I may just get a Hawaii ID not a DL. I can always use my parents address or my current address. Somethings in Texas are great....no state tax and low cost of living. Since I will be renting I don't think this will effect me. And I already send all my financials to my parents house.

And yes I am in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. (nice work detective mdand3boys)

I do not get SS or VA(never served), so it really does no apply. And I do not depend on Uncle Sam to take care now or in the future. As long as I can use my mind, I'm sure I will find a way to make it. My parents came to is country with nothing and made it. And I had it better than them so there is no excuse for me to fail or do worst.(knock on wood)

I know I will have to open a Bank account in Hawaii since there are no Mainland banks there. I don't know how this will effect my claim for Texas residency. But I will keep my current accounts open here in Texas. I'm just moving the physical me but the "paper me" will be in Texas.

Thanks for all the advice and assistance. You guys/gals have been very kind and informative.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:29 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,951,354 times
Taxes are where you work not where you live. If you work in Hawaii you owe Hawaii income taxes regardless of your address or drivers license. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island